• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Agree with Dennis at 6, but geez he hasn't grabbed my eye in the 2 trials. Having said that he hasn't been playing with the best players of the squad.

PS - as soon as I heard the words hamstring twinge from Hickey after the Nowra game I doubted he would be in the R.1 team.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
There is so much wrong with that statement, I'm not going to begin.

Speed training does improve your Power. Obviously not as much as specific Power training, but still.

Perhaps by "powerful" he means in terms of play rather then literal Muscular Power.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I think they are both injured - was looking forward to seeing McCaffrey - I hear he was training the house down, but didnt feature in either trial.

bech would have to be Allcock - Timani looked he had hooves for hands in the first trial

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I think they are both injured - was looking forward to seeing McCaffrey - I hear he was training the house down, but didnt feature in either trial.

bech would have to be Allcock - Timani looked he had hooves for hands in the first trial

So did a lot of other players. This might be a good match to give him a run, weeks 2 & 3 are critical we get our best team on the park.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
bloody hell. Most injured team?

Afa Pakalani
Al Baxter
Ben Mowen
Benn Robinson - injured
Berrick Barnes
Brackin Karauria-Henry - injured
Brendan McKibbon
Cam Jowitt - injured
Damien Fitzpatrick
Daniel Halangahu
David Dennis
Dean Mumm
Drew Mitchell
Jeremy Tilse
Josh Holmes
Kane Douglas
Kurtley Beale
Lachlan Turner
Locky McCaffrey - injured
Luke Burgess
Paddy Ryan
Pat McCutcheon - injured
Pat O'Connor
Phil Waugh
Rob Horne - injured
Ryan Cross
Sekope Kepu
Sosene Anesi
Tatafu Polota-Nau
Tom Carter
Will Caldwell - injured
Wycliff Palu - injured

anyone I miss? I don't for the life of me believe Fat Cat and Horne will miss the game, but they are listed regardless.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
is Locky McCaffrey a chance?

and is Cam Jowitt fit?

McCaffrey is still wounded, the bench mix will be interesting, does Hickey go for the worker in Pat O'Connor or the explosive type Sitileki Timani.

I expect Horne to be on the bench as well, Hickey didn't rush him last season

Rob Horne is set for Stirling test

* Jon Geddes
* February 14, 2011 12:00AM

A SUCCESSFUL 40-minute comeback has convinced Waratahs Test centre Rob Horne he is ready for the challenge of marking revitalised Melbourne Rebels skipper Stirling Mortlock in their Super Rugby showdown on Friday.

But there are doubts about the fitness of dynamic back-rower Cliffy Palu, who did not train yesterday and instead underwent treatment on a hamstring injury.

Horne had his first hit-out for the Junior Waratahs against Western Force A last week since dislocating his elbow in July. He ran at No. 13 during yesterday's session at Victoria Barracks, but coach Chris Hickey still has to decide whether to put Horne straight into the starting side or ease him back from the bench.

"Getting through that game is definitely a confidence boost for me and the coaching staff as well I guess," Horne said.

"It felt great and that is all you can ask for.

"Coming back from a major injury there is always the fear of the unknown and how it is going to go."

Mortlock has found a new lease of life after off-season back surgery and Horne is aware of the threat he poses. Hickey said Horne's limited game time had to be factored in when deciding the final make-up of the squad on Wednesday.

While Hickey remains hopeful Palu will play against the Rebels, Dave Dennis ran with the top pack yesterday.

"We will just have to we wait and see how Cliffy progresses," Hickey said. "We will give him every opportunity to be there."

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
so something like:

15 Beale 14 Mitchell 13 Cross 12 Carter 11 Turner 10 Barnes 9 Burgess 8 Mowen 7 Waugh 6 Dennis 5 Douglas 4 Mumm 3 Baxter 2 TPN 1 Robinson.

Then:

16 Fitzpatrick 17 Kepu 18 O'Connor/Timani 19 Alcock 20 McKibbon/Holmes 21 Halangahu 22 Pakalani

???

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Close, I reckon

15 Beale 14 Mitchell 13 Cross 12 Carter 11 Turner/Pakalani (no news on his knee yet) 10 Barnes 9 Burgess 8 Mowen 7 Waugh 6 Dennis 5 Douglas 4 Mumm 3 Baxter 2 TPN 1 Robinson.

Then:

16 Fitzpatrick 17 Kepu 18 O'Connor/Timani 19 Alcock 20 McKibbon 21 Halangahu 22 Horne

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
so something like:

15 Beale 14 Mitchell 13 Cross 12 Carter 11 Turner 10 Barnes 9 Burgess 8 Mowen 7 Waugh 6 Dennis 5 Douglas 4 Mumm 3 Baxter 2 TPN 1 Robinson.

Then:

16 Fitzpatrick 17 Kepu 18 O'Connor/Timani 19 Alcock 20 McKibbon/Holmes 21 Halangahu 22 Pakalani

???

I think Horne is fine Reg. He should at least get the bench gig.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Is this the last year we'll see from holmes? Mckibbon was impressive last year and holmes is on the downhill

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
McCaffrey is still wounded, the bench mix will be interesting, does Hickey go for the worker in Pat O'Connor or the explosive type Sitileki Timani.

I expect Horne to be on the bench as well, Hickey didn't rush him last season

Exactly right fatprop. I wouldn't have thought about Timani but he had a top trial in Nowra, albeit in the Twos game, and as I mentioned earlier, I don't expect Horne to start either.

O'Çonnor would be the safer bet and he is a contracted Super player also, though he is a bit anonymous on the field sometimes.

louie
- you are probably right.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Speed training does improve your Power. Obviously not as much as specific Power training, but still.

Perhaps by "powerful" he means in terms of play rather then literal Muscular Power.

Plyometrics which are designed to boost explosive power are often used in conjunction with speed training to boost overall performance. Its very likely that faster does translate in more powerful.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Plyometrics which are designed to boost explosive power are often used in conjunction with speed training to boost overall performance. Its very likely that faster does translate in more powerful.

That's pretty much what I was suggesting. Speed training could be for example Sprints but Power training could be Sprints with resistance bands.

The pure Sprinting would benefit your Power but not to the same extend as with the addition of the bands.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Is there? If they're focused on speed training to get more powerful that's good to hear, the Tahs were poor in the collisions last year.

Speed training doesn't increase power except in a very limited sense. To increase power, you require strength training. I'm not saying that speed training is incompatible with strength increases, but Hickey's assertion is nonsense.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
That's pretty much what I was suggesting. Speed training could be for example Sprints but Power training could be Sprints with resistance bands.

The pure Sprinting would benefit your Power but not to the same extend as with the addition of the bands.

Well you could do all that. Or just be born Tongan.

Status
Not open for further replies.