• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
The HSBC Waratahs have secured their second major re-signing of the week with Berrick Barnes committing to Waratahs Rugby and the Australian Rugby Union for a further two seasons.

Barnes, who has earned 31 Test caps since his international debut at the 2007 World Cup, joined the HSBC Waratahs last season and is keen to remain in Sydney up to and including 2013.

Having made mid-season decisions during his last two negotiations, Barnes said that making his future certain before the start of the 2011 Super Rugby competition has set his mind at ease just one week from the Tahs’ first competition match against the Melbourne Rebels.

“Obviously getting the deal out of the way early is good for peace of mind, so I’ve got some security and a sense of stability,” said Barnes. “Now I can just focus on my footy and getting the job done.

“I certainly function better when I know I’m going to be somewhere, and I’m happy with the decision I’ve made to stay with NSW.”

Barnes said that while part of the decision to stay was to achieve success with the Wallabies, he is all too aware that he cannot afford to take his eyes further than the upcoming Super Rugby campaign with the HSBC Waratahs.

“One of the main questions for me was ‘am I happy playing Super Rugby here at the Tahs?’ and I am,” said Barnes. “From there it’s a case of putting in the effort here [with the Tahs] to hopefully be rewarded with the chance to win one of the major trophies.

“We’ve come close on a number of occasions but to say you’ve lifted a Bledisloe or a Tri Nations or a World Cup would be nice.

“I’m only 24, so I’m still young. You still have pride in the Australian jumper and you still see definite value in the Super Rugby comp, so that’s exciting in itself.

“I was in the same boat as a number of others in seeing what offers were on the table and we wanted to see where we were in regards to NSW and the Australian Rugby Union, and they’ve been great, both parties.

“I suppose it’s a case of knowing you’re valued here and feeling like you’re wanted, and so I’m excited about being here for another two years.”

Born in Brisbane in 1986, Barnes played junior rugby league with the Kingaroy Red Ants before attending Ipswich Grammar School. After making his NRL debut for the Brisbane Broncos in 2005, Barnes switched back to Rugby in 2006 with the Queensland Reds and made his Tests debut against Japan at Rugby World Cup 2007.

Barnes’ move to NSW in 2010 saw the playmaker not only play his first-ever Super Rugby semi-final but it was also the first season he completed without missing a match through injury and the first time he accumulated more than 100 points in a season.

BERRICK BARNES
Position: Flyhalf/Centre
Physical: 183cm, 87kg
Born: 28.05.86, Brisbane QLD
Club: Sydney University
State Caps: 59 [Queensland Reds 45, HSBC Waratahs 14]
State Points: 208 [Queensland Reds 105 (6t, 18c, 7p, 6dg), HSBC Waratahs 103 (1t, 19c, 17p, 3dg)]
State Debut: 2006 v HSBC Waratahs (Queensland Reds)
Super Rugby Caps: 59 [Queensland Reds 45, HSBC Waratahs 14]
Super Rugby Points: 208 [Queensland Reds 105 (6t, 18c, 7p, 6dg), HSBC Waratahs 103 (1t, 19c, 17p, 3dg)]
Super Rugby Debut: 2006 v HSBC Waratahs [Queensland Reds]
Test Caps: 31
Test Points: 59 [4t, 3c, 6pg, 5dg]
Test Debut: 2007 v Japan [RWC]

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
awesome news. He is one I was resigning myself to losing back to league or overseas.

Very brave of you to say that Reg - I assumed Reds fans would figure it would be better for him to be playing in France than for the 'Tahs.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Nah after the Reds revival Sookface is off the hook.

His last couple of games at 12 for the Wallabies were awsome. I rate running Barnes over kick the shit out of everything Barnes. He worked well with cooper and not against him.

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Nah after the Reds revival Sookface is off the hook.

His last couple of games at 12 for the Wallabies were awsome. I rate running Barnes over kick the shit out of everything Barnes. He worked well with cooper and not against him.

Yes, I'd have liked a close-up of his face after a few of those late hits from the Fijians last week...and his pass/kick/run stats for that game must have been something like 40/2/2.

T

TOCC

sookface, applauded for mediocrity,...
Berrick+Barnes+Munster+v+Australia+cjw-yF1c07Cl.jpg

good to see him re-sign though, i would have hated to see him go back to league

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
"The Waratahs haven't lost a game with Tom Carter at No.12 in the past year and the hard-hitting inside-centre looked to keep his record intact with a try after good scrummaging in the second quarter" - http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/s...s-waratahs-forwards-shine-20110210-1aos5.html

interesting fact.

good news about barnes. with him and mitchell resigning makes me wonder about coaching appointments both at the tahs and wallabies.the players must know the direction there going. im assuming deans is staying on til the lions tour so the tahs must be just short of announcing mic foley.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
it would seem that with the resignings, that two years for robbie would be a lock in. take him through to the lions tour and then reassess for the world cup.

beside foley is there any coaches off contract with the tahs, Hickey has already said he wont be reapplying and his contract is up, cant think of anyone else and surely nsw wouldnt have resigned him as an assistant with the interest from qld without some job progression being a part of it.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
"The Waratahs haven't lost a game with Tom Carter at No.12 in the past year and the hard-hitting inside-centre looked to keep his record intact with a try after good scrummaging in the second quarter" -

I didn't know Cart Horse was playing in the scrum as well now. He must be unstopable. THP I assume.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Reports in the Oz that Turner was injured in the trial any news?

He looked dusty when he limped off but he didn't look so bad that he'll miss Round 1 - though I remember saying that after a trial in Wollongong about Al Kanaar a few years ago and it was the last game he played. IIRR one of the newspaper reports in this thread said he had a cork.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Ah, come on Gnostic, it'll give you something to focus upon, if nothing else! :)

Nobody will ever acuse me of being fickle. I have the integrity of consistancy. On the bright side it will allow me to endless subject matter with which to provide hours of enjoyable reading for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.