• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Was walking next to him on friday back to our respective cars and was worried he was still a bit small. Maybe its all perspective, and I never stood next to him last season. Looked fit and agile though (may also be perspective)

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I think Fitzpatrick needs to string a few more minutes together before you go blowing his trumpet to much

When TPN was injured last year who started every game for the Tahs? How many minutes does he need before one can judge his relative position?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
TPN started every game for the Tahs last year except when he was injured for the Brumbies game, in which Freier started.

Kirkpatrick was only 3rd string last year and 20 years old, but he got some useful time off the bench because Freier was injured a lot. I hope that TPN is healthy again this year but that Fitzy gets some starting game time.

PS I thought that Hickey would give Damien some starting games against the Cheetahs and Lions - and in one one them I remember that TPN had a niggle. It made sense to rest TPN, but some of Hickey's selection and bench use strategies last year were not stellar.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Ulugia was preferred in the first trial, so it's good to see Fitzy starting for the Junior Tahs this Thursday.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Pretty harsh on the Junior Tahs squad after a ridiculously hot Saturday match having to back up 5 days later..

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This article from the Rugbyb Heaven website caught my eye:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/rivals-ignore-the-brumbies-20110209-1am5u.html

What is it with the bloody Brumbies??? OK, so they won the comp in 2004. Since then they have finished:

2005 5th
2006 6th
2007 5th
2008 9th
2009 7th
2010 6th

Meanwhile the Tahs have finished:

2005 2nd
2006 3rd
2007 13th
2008 2nd
2009 5th
2010 3rd

How can they honestly even think they are the best side in Australia? Even last year -- the "Real Madrid" recruiting did nothing for them. We all know about the Reds successes of 2010, but the Tahs were far more interesting to watch and more successful too. I think the Tahs are now even ahead on the "Head to Head" count as well, despite the Brumby glory days.

I honestly think that the Tahs have been UNDER represented in national selection over the past 5 years -- especially when you consider that the one constant at the Wallabies over that time has been a crap scrum, while the Tahs scrum has been solid.

What gives??

The Brumbies horror injury run in some of those seasons really disrupted their run to the finals...

What's interesting is they spent the entire 2006 season in the top 4 and dropped to 6th after the last round...

But, can't make excuses...

Anyways, the Brumbies are still the most successful Super rugby team in Australia... They have two titles... the rest of the Australian teams have none...

And during those years when the Brumbies were dominating we still had to put up with the NSW PR claiming that the Tahs were the best team...

Continue on... :p

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
TPN started every game for the Tahs last year except when he was injured for the Brumbies game, in which Freier started.

Fitzpatrick was only 3rd string last year and 20 years old, but he got some useful time off the bench because Freier was injured a lot. I hope that TPN is healthy again this year but that Fitzy gets some starting game time.

PS I thought that Hickey would give Damien some starting games against the Cheetahs and Lions - and in one one them I remember that TPN had a niggle. It made sense to rest TPN, but some of Hickey's selection and bench use strategies last year were not stellar.

Was it 2009 that Fitz started a few games then? I remember him getting a few starts. In any event he has had quite a few "minutes" of the bench to judge his ability at Super Level.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
You should be more specific on your judging of best Aus side, as more than one Aus team has won two "Super" titles.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Was it 2009 that Fitz started a few games then? I remember him getting a few starts. In any event he has had quite a few "minutes" of the bench to judge his ability at Super Level.

No - he never started in a Super 14 game. In 2009 he was 19 and an academy player who had 4 games from the bench. I think most people would judge his ability now as a very good 21 year old hooker and a worthy no. 2 to TPN but still learning his trade at the professional level.

When he gets to start in a few games we will be able to assess him better.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Slim's probably referring to SANZAR run Super Rugby, in which case he's correct.

Yeah.

The ARU only recognises Super results going back to '96.

The 'Super' competition that exists before that is not connected to the tournament that began in '96...

But Reds fans can continue to hang onto their insignificant results...

Status
Not open for further replies.