• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
it looks like Drew "Shmoo" Mitchell is trying to live up to his G&GR nickname:

Drew%20Mitchell-420x0.jpg

Shmoo_by_NickDraw.jpg

meanwhile, he's re-signed with the Tahs and ARU for another 2 years!

T

TheTruth

Played for the Runners on Saturday. Went OK too and was probably the best prop on the ground in the Runners v Force A game - not that the props in the Force v Barbarians game later on were that stellar in the heat.

Maybe some changes have done him good: not in the Tahs Academy any more and moving from Gordon to the Beasts (sorry AD). I've been spruiking him for a few years without any real basis of comparison. Let's see how he goes if there are more Pony injuries.

Hey Lee,
Where does young Fitzy (damien) fit into the tahs - Young bloke was 20's captain and expected him to be up in the top few in Aussie but ???

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hey Lee,
Where does young Fitzy (damien) fit into the tahs - Young bloke was 20's captain and expected him to be up in the top few in Aussie but ???

Probably being biased, but I rate him as the 4th best hooker in the country. Behind one of the Force dudes and in front of Saia

zeedok

Allen Oxlade (6)
This article from the Rugbyb Heaven website caught my eye:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/rivals-ignore-the-brumbies-20110209-1am5u.html

ACT coach Andy Friend admitted the external pressure had an effect on his players when they failed to fire last season. Friend said his team needed to prove it was still the best in Australia.

What is it with the bloody Brumbies??? OK, so they won the comp in 2004. Since then they have finished:

2005 5th
2006 6th
2007 5th
2008 9th
2009 7th
2010 6th

Meanwhile the Tahs have finished:

2005 2nd
2006 3rd
2007 13th
2008 2nd
2009 5th
2010 3rd

How can they honestly even think they are the best side in Australia? Even last year -- the "Real Madrid" recruiting did nothing for them. We all know about the Reds successes of 2010, but the Tahs were far more interesting to watch and more successful too. I think the Tahs are now even ahead on the "Head to Head" count as well, despite the Brumby glory days.

I honestly think that the Tahs have been UNDER represented in national selection over the past 5 years -- especially when you consider that the one constant at the Wallabies over that time has been a crap scrum, while the Tahs scrum has been solid.

What gives??

zeedok

Allen Oxlade (6)
Probably being biased, but I rate him as the 4th best hooker in the country. Behind one of the Force dudes and in front of Saia

I don't think we've seen the best of him yet.

He was warming up with the team at the trial last week (although he wasn't playing until Saturday) and he's looks huge. He's really bulked up. If he retains his running and ball playing skills, he could have a real impact off the bench (or in starting lineup if TPN gets a haircut).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

He was warming up with the team at the trial last week (although he wasn't playing until Saturday) and he's looks huge. He's really bulked up. If he retains his running and ball playing skills, he could have a real impact off the bench (or in starting lineup if TPN gets a haircut).

He plays too loose

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
zeedok

They are Brumbies and have a balanced view - a chip on both shoulders.

Fitzy -he has bulked up but his calves are quite skinny. Not something you want when pushing in the scrum on the other teams put in.

The Truth

I may have answered this already but Fitzy is 21 now and with the slightly longer season he should get a bit more time with the Tahs and start in a few games.

I said when he was at school that he would be a Wallaby one day if he became a big enough man. We may find out this year if that promise is still there though 21 is still quite young. He has a lot of skill but now he's getting older and he's been in the gym for a while we will be expecting a harder edge to his game.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member

Here's a pic from the trial, click for a bigger one

[image]Damien Fitzpatrick - gun show.jpg|thumb|left[/image]

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
where is the pic of these skinny calves that have been mentioned?
ol skinny calf fitzpatrick is coming along nicely, i think he is probably on par with finger who for me was never international level during his wallabies game this year.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
I'm going to type as WJ now: Everyone's under par on all the Super Rugby rosters, except for Tom Carter......He's sooo dreamy.......

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

I'm not biased either, but I'd rate him third behind only Moore and TPN. Being behind TPN at the Tahs has held him back (especially with Hickey's non-rotation policy last year) but he's way in front of Fainga'a despite what Deans thinks. Hadn't realised he has bulked up too, if this strategy works the Tahs forwards might bury a few packs this year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
has he ever actually started a Super Rugby match? Didn't the Tahs rush back an unfit Freier to use instead of him?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I'm not biased either, but I'd rate him third behind only Moore and TPN. Being behind TPN at the Tahs has held him back (especially with Hickey's non-rotation policy last year) but he's way in front of Fainga'a despite what Deans thinks. Hadn't realised he has buked up too, if this strategy works the Tahs forwards might bury a few packs this year.

Agree 100% Hawko, and I would put Charles ahead of Finger as well IMO. How can somebody say Fitz. plays too loose and imply Finger is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.