• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I remember Carter being bagged for a number of years because of one instance he didn't read Barnes wanting him to come inside of him. Even if he is to be crucified for a pass he never threw on Friday night - we still retained possession by the way - anyone who didn't think he had an impressive 40 minutes must have been like your near neighbour, "bagging Carter from the kick off."
Bruce,no doubt TC went well on friday.But it was against B grade opposition.The pass he never threw just highlights the limited game that he offers. Against better opposition it reduces our options substantially.
I don't think we can beat the better sides with his style(or hickey's too scared to lose style)of play.
No doubt it is a safer way to beat sides that you physically dominate.But I am hoping for more than that this year

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Bruce,no doubt TC went well on friday.But it was against B grade opposition.The pass he never threw just highlights the limited game that he offers. Against better opposition it reduces our options substantially.
I don't think we can beat the better sides with his style(or hickey's too scared to lose style)of play.
No doubt it is a safer way to beat sides that you physically dominate.But I am hoping for more than that this year

a couple of years ago that was mckensies style. its more the tahs style of play than the coaches. meaning that it is probably to the strength of the team as a whole over the last few years as the results have been there to see.

when the backline settled last year and was together for pretty much the back end of the season, they were running in good trys and making plenty of metres. i really dont think a reinvention is in order. we have our two biggest running forwards back, were in much better shae than this time last year

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I remember Carter being bagged for a number of years because of one instance he didn't read Barnes wanting him to come inside of him.

Bruce that happened just last year didn't it?

Touché, Gnostic. From the amount of bagging that went on about one misunderstanding - I wonder if they had ever run the play before - my recollection was that it must have occurred over a period of years. Similarly I expect that dedicated Carter bashers will be telling their grandchildren they were at the SFS the night Carter didn't pass to Waugh.

W

WB3

Bruce, at an elite level a centre should be able to read and communicate when an inside ball is on.

Either way, I don't think he is deplorable, but he will never be more than an adequate place-filler in my book.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Carter is good at getting over the advantage line, committing his opposing centre and taking 2 or 3 cover defenders, while being strong enough to present the ball for the next phase. He is good outside Barnes and I think he would be better outside Cooper.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I remember Carter being bagged for a number of years because of one instance he didn't read Barnes wanting him to come inside of him.
Can't really blame Berrick for this, what with the shoes and the hairband, what's a guy to think?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Carter's defence is first rate - let's get rid of 50% of the game right there.

But I've got mixed feelings about his attacking abilities. There's nothing wrong with a 12 bashing the ball up a few times in front of his forwards and presenting a nice ball, but he would better if he offloaded it more in the magic moment before he gets tackled, or sometimes, enough before the tackle that he can support the guy he passed it to, on the inside. He should mix it up.

Then there is the problem of when he is in the open with the ball. Compared to other starting S14 Oz inside centres last year, he looked uncomfortable with the ball in hand, in space. Once at the SFS, and I can't remember which game, he seemed in a state of panic when he found himself in a gap. Maybe somebody else can remember the incident. It felt bad for him because he has a lot of merit in some areas.

To those who may want to reply may: well you remember only one so he must be OK - it was the most memorable occasion, and forum members remarked on it at the time because he was on his own for a while. I think this flaw of not being able to read the play well enough when he has the ball, so he crashes by default too much, is the reason that he hasn't been thought of as somebody who deserves higher honours.

I have a theory that many of the faults of players, even good players, are because they shy away too much from weaknesses. Many scrummies snipe or box kick when a pass to the right is the other option - because they are right handed and it needs a left hand pass. Some fullbacks who kick mostly with the right foot tend to run too much when they are close to the right touch.

Maybe Carter crash balls too often because he hasn't learned to use the ball as well, and as much, as he should - and thereby add value to his supporting runners. At full pace maybe he will get a few short off-loads happening but doesn't have confidence in medium and long passes. There are usually reasons for a player's limitations in any sport. If he become a bit more of a ballplayer, and one who is known for adding value to team mates, I think he will be looked on in a different light.

Having said all that the Waratahs played three fine attacking games last year against good Kiwi opponents: the Blues, Chiefs and Canes. Carter was the 12 in the last two. He has some limitations but he can't be as bad as a lot of folks are saying.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
In the right game plan I reckon he can have a lot to offer, however I couldn't not post this

[video=youtube;ITjxNsVGulU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITjxNsVGulU[/video]

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
dont need to calm down, i susspect you have read my comments with a tone, if you read them as a 12th century british grammer school student they sound much different.
carter can run,
i have seen him step,
i have seen him pass,
i have seen him bust the line,
i have seen him tackle,
i have seen him kick,
i have seen him chase,
i have seen him in a super 14 finals series,
i have seen him dominate his opposite number on numerous occasions
i have seen him teach Tim Horan how to play the position
i have seen him lift the Bledisloe
i have seen him singlehandedly take on England's 2003 World Cup winning team
i have seen him run the 100m in less than 10 seconds
i have seen him play 'free bird' on guitar
i have seen him with a perfect smile
i have seen him satisfy a woman
i have seen him use the force
i have seen him milk a cow
i have seen him cook the perfect steak
i have seen him win at poker
i have seen him cure cancer
i have seen him shoot lasers out of his eyes
i have seen him write sonnets
i have seen him speak 7 languages
i have seen him breakdance
i have seen him perform an emergency tracheotomy with a scalpel and a pen
i have seen him stop global warming
i have seen him walk on water
i have seen him

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
What is obvious from that clip is how small a part Carter plays in the Waratahs' backline domination.

how is that obvious,
alot of the play there is from broken play, carter is used as the kick chaser so is up field having tried to charge down. when he is back he is cleaning out like a machine, getting over the advantage line, backing up or being used as a decoy. this would pretty much be every function you could possible use someone for isnt it?

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Last year I commented in the Canes match report I saw Carter pass twice in one match. I'm still on medication.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Last year I commented in the Canes match report I saw Carter pass twice in one match. I'm still on medication.

Yeah, I wonder sometimes whether he was told not to as part of the game plan

actually this suprised, his stats from last year versus Faainga, nothing between them, both are average

Legend Carter Faainga
Try assists 2 2
Runs 87 88
Tackles bust 23 33
Offloads 8 11
Linebreaks 4 7
Linebreaks create 5 2

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Yeah, I wonder sometimes whether he was told not to as part of the game plan

actually this suprised, his stats from last year versus Faainga, nothing between them, both are average

Legend Carter Faainga
Try assists 2 2
Runs 87 88
Tackles bust 23 33
Offloads 8 11
Linebreaks 4 7
Linebreaks create 5 2

where are the stats from?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Carter looks to have dropped some weight. I wonder how this will effect is game? Good players work on their faults so lets see how Tom goes this season. It is a little premeture to crucify him for a mistake in a trial game.

None the less keep the shitfight going. Tom Carter debates are always entertaining for the impartial bystander. :)

Tom Carter
Inside Centre
Height: 189cm
Weight: 98kg
Date Of Birth: 25/02/1983
Place of Birth: Young NSW
Rugby Career
Senior Club: Sydney University
Stats
Provincial Rugby Caps: 49
Provincial Rugby Points: 35 (7t)
Provincial Rugby Debut: 2004 v Salta
Super Rugby Caps: 42
Super Rugby Points: 25 (5t)
Super Rugby Debut: 2008 v Hurricanes
Test Rugby Debut: n/a

http://www.nswrugby.com.au/Waratahs...PlayerPage/tabid/182/playerid/33/Default.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.