• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
No one player would have made a difference - especially no one back. The forwards were like they were at Twickenham last November.

It is understandable that we are enthused about how the Wallaby backs played in their last test match but we should always be aware of how the forwards retreat to mediocrity with frightening regularity, and how that shatters our fondest hopes.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Full squad

Stars on show for HSBC Waratahs trials

By Waratahs Rugby Media Unit

The HSBC Waratahs are set to field a star-studded line-up in their opening trial of 2011 with head coach Chris Hickey announcing all fit players would be available for selection for the clash with the Fiji Warriors.
The February 4 fixture presents an enticing season-opener for Tahs fans with all seats at the Sydney Football Stadium thrown open to general admission for just $10, while a family pass will get two adults and two children in for only $20.
HSBC Waratahs ticketed members* who signed up for season 2011 by Tuesday 11 January will gain free entry.
Hickey said the match represents an important step in the HSBC Waratahs preparations ahead of the revamped Super Rugby season.
“In recent years we’ve played three pre-season matches to get ready however with the extended season we have now we’ve changed things up a bit and are only going with two,” said Hickey. “What that means is that we need everyone back on deck right from the start, playing lots of minutes and getting match-fit ahead of the season starting.”
Hickey said that fans attending both the Fiji Warriors trial and the pre-season match with the Western Force in Nowra on February 10 could expect to see not only some of the world’s best players but a host of others vying for places in the match day 22 for the round one clash with the Melbourne Rebels.
“You can do a lot of work with the entire squad in the pre-season and work on various combinations but there’s only so much you can do on the training field,” said Hickey. “We’ve been going since the start of November and had our returning Wallabies back for almost a month now, but the best indication we can get is to see the players in action and in two weeks time we’ll get to see what we’ve been working towards.
“There are a lot of established players in this team but there’s also host of others in both the Super Rugby squad and our extended training squad who are training the house down and are begging for an opportunity to show what they can do.
“There are always a few players who present themselves in the trial matches, putting their hand up to demand selection and as a coach that sort of competition within the squad is exactly what you want to see.”

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
I'm reliably informed that the Tahs have signed Auckland half back Grayson Hart. He is already here and training with the Waratahs Academy and living in Cronulla. His uncle is former All Blacks coach John Hart and it has been reported he has Australian eligibility through his family heritage. The Force were interested in buying this bloke last year but instead signed James Stannard.

He looks to be a good buy for the Tahs and already has 7 Super caps and 20 provincial caps for Auckland. Rather than being good back up for Burgess, Josh Holmes and Brendan McKibbin I think this bloke could press for a starting spot if Burgo gets injured.

Here are some links to him;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grayson_Hart
http://www.aucklandrugby.co.nz/npc/players/profile.html?playerid=5893921

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
I can't post a link. My source is someone at the Waratahs. I'm not sure why the Tahs have not put out a press release confirming the signing. We will just have to wait I suppose.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Can you post a source or anyone else confirm it so he can be entered into the Ruggapedia? Cheers.

Paris Tah - the King of Ruggapedia. Doing an awesome job. Slowly getting myself some sort of temporary set up which will hopefully allow me to come back and help out with it all soon.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'm reliably informed that the Tahs have signed Auckland half back Grayson Hart. He is already here and training with the Waratahs Academy and living in Cronulla. His uncle is former All Blacks coach John Hart and it has been reported he has Australian eligibility through his family heritage. The Force were interested in buying this bloke last year but instead signed James Stannard.

He looks to be a good buy for the Tahs and already has 7 Super caps and 20 provincial caps for Auckland. Rather than being good back up for Burgess, Josh Holmes and Brendan McKibbin I think this bloke could press for a starting spot if Burgo gets injured.

Here are some links to him;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grayson_Hart
http://www.aucklandrugby.co.nz/npc/players/profile.html?playerid=5893921

So which 9 is on the outer? Holmes or McKibbin?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I really don't know about Holmes. It may well be too late for him to make a successful switch to 12 at Super level, there are a lot of contenders in front of him. In order that I would play them
1. Barnes
2. Hangers
3. Carter
4. Horne (I'm not as convinced as others that 12 is his position, I think he is an excellent 13)
5. Holmes

After last year I no longer rate Cross. He was poor for the Force and appeared outclassed in Clubland as well.

The thing that makes me think he could make the switch is like Burgess he is a very good defender, and the times I have seen him play 12 he has been very good.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
So which 9 is on the outer? Holmes or McKibbin?

Not McKibbin because he was promoted to a full contract for two years. Therefore Holmes who has been a huge disappointment since his school days and accepted pay cut when he returned to the Tahs for 2010 and 2011.

At club level in 2010 he played some good rugby for the Rats at scrummie with Sheehan at 10. His sniping from the base of the scrum or ruck for tries, especially later in the game, left several opponents with red faces. And in 2009 he played some rousing games at 12.

I wrote earlier in this thread that the promotion of McKibbin for a 2 year deal may see the marginalisation of Holmes. If Hart, somebody who couldn't get a gig in a Kiwi Super team this year, is indeed in the stable, then Josh had better start mailing some DVDs to the NH and cut out the bits where he gazes at the ball, if he can find any.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
Paris Tah - the King of Ruggapedia. Doing an awesome job. Slowly getting myself some sort of temporary set up which will hopefully allow me to come back and help out with it all soon.

A mere shadow on your efforts Reg. Don't hurry for our benefit, I expect you've got more important tasks at hand. I should have the brumbies all done by Super kick-off.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
unsurprisingly NSW stifles another talented ball player ;)

With all due respect, that's rubbish. As a Woodies supporter I have watched Holmes' development (or lack thereof) with great interest over the years. I regret to say that he just does not have what it takes. I really knew this when he was totally dominated by Luke Burgess in a club game a few years ago when Burgess was with the Beasts. That was just at the outset of his career, either his first or second year in First Grade for Eastwood.

He looks to me as though he does not really enjoy the physical side of the game. A big handicap for a scrummie in particular, but not a good quality for any rugby player.

Status
Not open for further replies.