• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie D

Desmond Connor (43)
No single player was the reason that game was lost. The application of the team, especially the forwards was and he was a senior part of that team. Also the enduring memory of that game for me is the total disintergration of the Wallaby scrum including the splitting and detachment of the second row.

Think you are getting your games confused. The second row split occurred in 2005. The scrum was shoved around a bit and we went missing collectively in thawt QF in 2007. As others have said Vickerman was underdone as he missed almost all of the 2007 S14 and international season. Think he only came back for the world cup or just prior to it.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Think you are getting your games confused. The second row split occurred in 2005. The scrum was shoved around a bit and we went missing collectively in thawt QF in 2007. As others have said Vickerman was underdone as he missed almost all of the 2007 S14 and international season. Think he only came back for the world cup or just prior to it.

Nope it was against the Poms in Marseilles that the overhead view I am speaking of was given.

As for the excuses of him being under-done - if that was indeed the case he should not have been selected.

I said before the forward pack as a whole failed to apply in that game and the fault does not lie with Vickerman alone, but he was part of the problem then as much as Sharpe and yet gets far more favourable comment than Sharpe does despite Sharpe being amoung the most consistent performers for the Wallabies in the last two years, while Vickerman hasn't played professionally in that time.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
he was merely a piece of the larger puzzle... but he was a piece nonetheless...when we talk about big game's and physicality, the 2007 RWC cant be ignored

I think most of the blame for that lies with Connolly's gameplan and with the team for not adjusting when it became obvious it wasn't working.

Even as we were being smashed, we still weren't committing to the breakdown in sufficient numbers to compete. It wasn't a case of Vickerman et al being outmuscled: they weren't there to be outmuscled, but were instead fanning across the field.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...d-able-but-taller-as-well-20110113-19pxc.html

KANE DOUGLAS cut an intimidating figure last season, and promises to imbue the Waratahs pack with even more menace this year.

The 21-year-old has reported for training two centimetres taller and eight kilograms heavier than at the same stage last year. That's 202cm and 123kg - the latter being the result of a gruelling off-season weights program.
replaced.

So now Kane is Bakkies height and 7kgs heavier.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
And if he shows the brutality and mongrel of the Springbok (without the unsavoury stuff) it will be even better. He already has the skill set, or near enough.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I see that this trial match is $10 a ticket, anyone going?

Waratahs v Fiji Trial Match - SFS

Venue
Sydney Football Stadium
Driver Avenue
Moore Park NSW 2021

Date & Time
Fri 4 Feb 2011 7:40pm - Waratahs v Fiji

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Already bought my $20 family ticket, and all seating is general admission. A promising start to the season by Waratahs administration.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
jeez what's in the water that kane's been drinking? assuming he's retained most of his mobility, he's becoming quite the package.

hope some of you fellas making it to the trial bring back some accounts of the game.

inthestands

Sydney Middleton (9)
Given the Tahs are only playing two trials, can we expect to see the big guns in the Fiji match? If so, ten bucks is a pretty good deal...

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
I see that this trial match is $10 a ticket, anyone going?
Its free if you are a member, will be going and taking mates, and heaps of 'em!

Given the Tahs are only playing two trials, can we expect to see the big guns in the Fiji match? If so, ten bucks is a pretty good deal...

Chris Hickey has said he wants to play a full strength side, and the Tahs V Force match is a double header

Also have you seen what they are doing for their season launch? its an over 18s event at the ivy and $200 a ticket with Clarkie hosting

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Cognitive dissonance in the marketing department at Driver Ave:

2011 Pre-Season Fixture
HSBC WARATAHS v FIJI WARRIORS
Friday 4 February 2011
Sydney Football Stadium

Ticket Prices
General Admission $10
Family $20 (2 Adults, 2 Children)

"By George, I think she's got it!"

Bums on seats. Hardly original; it's how the AFL builds mass support, but finally a step in the right direction. Introduce a whole new demographic of supporters to Super Rugby.

But just when you thought they might be really interested in winning over the battlers:

Also have you seen what they are doing for their season launch? its an over 18s event at the ivy and $200 a ticket with Clarkie hosting

Only $200! There's a bargain.

I like the subtle humour and irony of holding the True Supporters' launch the day before the "Brokes' Night" trial.

As Sir Lunchalot famously said a quarter of a century ago; "Anyone who won't buy a lifetime membership of Concord Oval isn't really a rugby supporter."

And for anyone visiting the Waratahs website, doesn't the mud on the jerseys and faces of the players look totally realistic?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think most of the blame for that lies with Connolly's gameplan and with the team for not adjusting when it became obvious it wasn't working.

Even as we were being smashed, we still weren't committing to the breakdown in sufficient numbers to compete. It wasn't a case of Vickerman et al being outmuscled: they weren't there to be outmuscled, but were instead fanning across the field.

I seem to recall some fans laying blame towards George Smith because of this at the time...

Yet he seemed to be the one Wallabies player at the breakdown... alone...

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I remember thinking at the time that we had no backline direction, and kept setting up forwards to run at the poms on their own, where they smashed us. Do you think it would have been different with Larkham fit that day?

Status
Not open for further replies.