• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
Great news for Tah fans - Kurtley Beale reported for pre-season training yesterday and weighed in at......drum roll please.......................

92KG

Only about 1 kg over his playing weight! Usually he rocks up to training and is about 6 or 7 kgs over. Sensational news and I think he is only going to get better this year. His attitude is the big improvement.

http://www.sportal.com.au/rugby-union-news-display/beale-aims-high-in-2011-107670

Beale aims high in 2011
10/01/2011 1:07 PM
Steve Orme
Sportal

Wallabies superstar Kurtley Beale has warned rivals he's still a long way off reaching his full potential, despite already being ranked among the game's elite players.

The 22-year-old was a revelation for the Wallabies last season in what was his first full international campaign.

Beale, who booted a dramatic 58m penalty goal in injury time at Bloemfontein to end the Wallabies' 47-year hoodoo against South Africa on the high veldt, was one of six nominees for the prestigious International Rugby Board Player of the Year award in 2010.

It was a year in which the former schoolboy prodigy finally lived up to the hype, making the fullback position his own with a series of man-of-the-match performances in 13 Test appearances.

But while the electrifying fullback could be forgiven for dwelling on last year's achievements, he insists becoming a better player is his sole focus as the Rugby World Cup looms large.

"I still think there's a long way to go for myself and actually developing and trying to improve on my game," Beale said upon his return to Waratahs pre-season training on Monday morning.

"This year's good for it, a longer season and a big year for the Wallabies with the World Cup around the corner."

"I really enjoyed my rugby in 2010, it's just the way I wanted it to end. I stayed over in Europe for an extra few weeks after the tour and put my feet up and just really enjoyed the time off."

While Beale admits he enjoyed his five-week layoff following the spring tour, there was no sign of his traditional post-Christmas bulge when he reported for duty on Monday.

The 2010 Wallabies Rookie of the Year revealed he's added 'about a kilo' over the break to tip the scales at a svelte 92 kg - a far cry from the customary six or seven of previous years.

Having shed seven kg midway through last season, a focused Beale says he made a conscious decision not to let himself go this time around.

"I still had to enjoy my Christmas pudding over the break but that was always in the back of my mind, I had to be better this time and I feel as though I am," he said.

"I'm not rocking in 100 kilos or anything like that so I'm feeling good, feeling ready to go and just really excited to be back and to get into training."

Meanwhile, Beale says he's finally found a home in the No.15 jersey after playing flyhalf and inside centre in previous seasons.

"Yeah definitely," he said when asked if fullback is now his preferred position.

"I've made a lot of changes to my game, good changes, and it's helped me to be able to bring back my speed and everything else so I'm just very excited to be back and hopefully it's going to be a big year."

Waratahs coach Chris Hickey all but confirmed Beale will be given first crack at the fullback spot for the season opener against newcomers the Melbourne Rebels on February 18.

"I think based on his form 15 is where we'll be looking to play Kurtley." Hickey said.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
Oh dear! Gee there seems to be an increase in hamstring injuries. Years ago it was knees now you hear of a lot more hamstrings going.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Only about 1 kg over his playing weight! Usually he rocks up to training and is about 6 or 7 kgs over. Sensational news and I think he is only going to get better this year. His attitude is the big improvement.

That's bloody fantastic news. As Bob Dwyer would say, for a World Cup campaign you don't just need guys who want to win, you need guys who want to do the work to win.

Beale has a real chance to be the best fullback in the world.

I hope he's working on his goal kicking too. I think that's an absolutely crucial element for us going into a RWC. The Boks have that fucking robot, Steyn, and ABs have that freak, Dan Carter. It would kill me if we lost cause we didn't convert enough penalty goals or some bullshit like that. Crap scrum, poor defence, etc I could accept but I just hate losing because you were 5 of 7 on penalty goals.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Young Kurtley has ticked a lot of boxes since his last misdemeanour and my fingers are crossed that he has turned the corner. It's about time too since he turned 22 the other day; so he ain't in Kansas any more. I note from an old Oz Schools programme that he was 84 kgs at 16 years old in Yr.11; so a target of 90kgs at the senior level is a good one.

We can see how his standard of play has improved with the weight loss just as we could see the improvement in Mils Muliaina in 2010 when he trimmed down.

Not to the point but it's interesting to see the weights of some of the other schoolboys in 2005:
Pocock: 96kgs
Cooper: 80kgs
McCutcheon: 96kgs
McCalman: 102kgs
Turner 84kgs

Also not to the point but Beale wanted to be an apprentice in the building industry when he left school - or so the programme says.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Hickey backs Vickerman to make Wallabies
January 13, 2011 - 3:51PM

NSW Waratahs coach Chris Hickey is confident Dan Vickerman's hopes of a Wallabies' Tri-Nations and World Cup return won't be harmed by lack of Super Rugby game time.

NSW don't expect for lock Vickerman back to make his first appearances for them until early June, which would give him just three Super matches plus any finals games to press his claims for Wallabies going into the big 2011 international season.

Vickerman quit NSW and international rugby in 2008 to study economics at Cambridge University.

But the 31-year-old veteran of 52 Tests from 2002-08 is returning after being sounded by Wallabies coach Robbie Deans last year and signing with Australian rugby again till the end of 2012.

Hickey believes Vickerman's experience and class can compensate for the lack of a full competitive Super rugby season and he can play at a third World Cup tournament.

"With the experience he brings to that position and going into a World Cup year I think he'd be a strong candidate," Hickey said.

"We're just going to have to wait and see there.

"I know he's working really hard over the next six months with his own personal training and he'll be playing some games over there in England.

"By the time he gets here in June he won't be starting from scratch, he should have a pretty good fitness base."

The Waratahs have given Vickerman a training program and he will remain in regular contact with the club's strength and conditioning coach Peter McDonald.

Vickerman will play matches for Cambridge before he jets back, and Hickey is convinced time away from the top level will be a benefit to the classy lock.

"Before he left to go and study, if you were picking a world 15 you'd probably pick him in one of the lock positions," he said.

"That sort of experience is really valuable to you and we're looking forward to seeing him back with us later in the season.

"That break will finish up prolonging his career. Having a break like that freshens you up physically and mentally and I think he'll come back very hungry to play some footy having not played for a while.

"We'd have three or four games left to play (when he returns) and at that stage of the season with injuries and everything else it would be a real boost for us to have someone like Dan come on board."

N

Newter

Could be a similar story to Os du Randt. He was out of the game for three years before his return in 2004, and the Springboks won the Trinations that year.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
The chances are against him but you never know, and given the dearth of good TH locks in the country he could be given favourable treatment.

One could see a scenario wherein he is not quite up to the mark by the time the 3N squad is picked yet be added to it to push him on. But the selectors will have to see some very promising signs that he is on the path to a complete comeback before that happens.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
"Before he left to go and study, if you were picking a world 15 you'd probably pick him in one of the lock positions," he said.

Shit some people have poor memories. Wasn't Vicks part of a humiliated forward pack in 2007 and a key & senior part of it at that. Hardly something that inspires one to say he would be picked in a World 15 starting position.

It would be good for the Tahs if he came back firing, but I just cannot stand pinning hopes on somebody who hasn't played at a professional level for so long.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Shit some people have poor memories. Wasn't Vicks part of a humiliated forward pack in 2007 and a key & senior part of it at that. Hardly something that inspires one to say he would be picked in a World 15 starting position.

It would be good for the Tahs if he came back firing, but I just cannot stand pinning hopes on somebody who hasn't played at a professional level for so long.

He was clearly the best lock we had before he left to study

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
He was clearly the best lock we had before he left to study

Yeah but that is not saying much, after Giffen and Eales left we had a choice of Vicks, Chisholm and a couple of others. Best in Oz maybe, but a World 15, to quote "The Castle" 'tell him he's dreaming'.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Tahs' Kane not just willing and able, but taller as well
Josh Rakic
January 14, 2011

Kane Douglas
Kane-Douglas-420x0.jpg

Bigger ... Kane Douglas. Photo: Anthony Johnson

KANE DOUGLAS cut an intimidating figure last season, and promises to imbue the Waratahs pack with even more menace this year.

The 21-year-old has reported for training two centimetres taller and eight kilograms heavier than at the same stage last year. That's 202cm and 123kg - the latter being the result of a gruelling off-season weights program.

The brother of NRL star Luke Douglas already has 12 Waratahs caps and an Australian Barbarians appearance to his name, and many pundits are tipping a Wallabies jersey for the Northern Rivers product in the not too distant future.
Advertisement: Story continues below

For now, the Cronulla-based second-rower insisted his focus was on retaining his starting spot in a full-strength Waratahs squad of 31.

''There are another few second-rowers in the side this year with Pat O'Connor, Dean Mumm and the like, so first and foremost I want to cement a position there, and that means having to do my best every week,'' said Douglas, who has graduated from an academy player to fully fledged Waratah.

''And with the experience of last year, there's no room for any excuses not to, really. In the back of my mind the Wallabies thing is there, but I need to focus on the Waratahs first. I didn't think I'd be in this position this year - a full Super 14 season and Wallabies camp behind me.

''I joined the Wallabies' extended 10 [who were] added in July and played one of the Barbarians matches, and then I made the train-on squad before the spring tour. I exceeded all my expectation last year.

''But I've been in the system now for a few years, and with that Wallabies experience I have to keep moving forward and learn from it. And hopefully that will help me.''

One factor that will not hinder him is that his giant frame continues to expand.

''This time last year I was 115kg and now I'm 123kg - about 13 kg heavier than my big brother now. I've filled out a little bit [laughs]. I've gotten taller, too, I think.

''Starting every game this year is a big goal for me, and I think with the fighting for spots, it's only going to make the team go better. Even if some of the positions change around, everyone is fighting.

''But I feel like a real part of the team now, one of the boys this year. I'm not one of the kids any more, and hopefully I can show that on the field.''

Coach Chris Hickey certainly is not doubting Douglas's potential, declaring the 21-year-old a major part of his plans for this year as Hickey looks to extend his contract beyond this season.

''He's an imposing figure, and what he did last year was outstanding,'' Hickey said. ''To come from our academy and finish up starting in 12 of 13 games, he was fantastic.

''And he certainly hasn't rested on his laurels since the season completed. The work that he's done over the past six or so months has been amazing. He's now 123kg and getting fitter. We're expecting big things from Kane this year.''

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Kane also has the durability of his brother Luke, to play every game last season as an academy player is outstanding.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Putting on 8kgs sounds good and it's better than an older bloke putting that on, but I have a concern that a 7% increase in weight in a relatively short time, may have its problems.

I'll be watching his work rate this year to see if his weight gain was fools gold.

Not to the point but I've always wondered why Deans gave Douglas so little time in those two Baas games and am none the wiser about it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.