• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

When I saw Chizz being carried off, he was wearing long studs, not suitable for the hard ground. Clearly he planted his foot and tried to step, and the long studs wouldnt budge.

clearly?
i would say thats just a theory, dislocated kneecaps are generally attributed to a direct blow to the knee, if it were a twisting motion as you suggested it would be more likely to have been a ACL or Meniscus tear..

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
This field is a nightmare. It's either a dust bowl or a mudbath. It's possibly becuase it seem to have no drainage so the turf can recover.

I am not at all surprised that people got injured. I have seen squares of turf being ripped up in scrums. I used to take my kid for a runaround and couldnlt believe the state of the pitch.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
They have fixed up Woollarah oval a bit since Saturday. Now to get rid of the bloody swooping magpies.

Attachments

• Image079.jpg
    Image079.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 200

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
That's a shame. Suppose that Peterson will step up to full squad? Or at least he will be used in Super rugby a bit.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I guess I feel the same way I felt when Al Kanaar had to retire. Will is a huge loss to the Tahs and was under-appreciated when it came to wallaby selection because he was always in tight and seldom noticed seagulling. For me, he was a player who made the hard yards, one of the first forwards selected. I hope he makes it back.

Pity Maninoa's gone to France, he looked the goods for Randwick. Timani seems to have had a better first half than second half of the season, but a full Tahs pre-season may be the making of him. I hope so.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The HSBC Waratahs have moved swiftly to replenish their second row stocks with the acquisition of former Western Force lock Pat O’Connor on a one-year deal.
The acquisition of O’Connor, 25, fills the place in the squad vacated by NSW’s most-capped lock Will Caldwell, who is taking an extended layoff from the sport to concentrate on his battle with Crohns disease.
A product of Marist College Ashgrove, O’Connor was a member of the Reds Academy in Queensland before signing on to be a start-up player in the Force’s first season in 2006. Later that year he earned a place in Chris Hickey’s Australian U21 team as well as selection in the Prime Minister’s XV.
O’Connor’s career stalled when he required surgery on a serious injury sustained during the 2007 pre-season. Five months later, O’Connor reinjured the same knee which required further surgery and ensured he spent the 2008 Super 14 season on the sidelines.
He made his return for the Western Force on the 2008 Development Tour of England and was back playing Super 14 Rugby in 2009.
O’Connor is currently playing for Northland in New Zealand’s ITM Cup, the same team which fellow HSBC Waratahs lock Cam Jowitt played for in 2009. He made his debut for the province last season earning three caps and this year has started all nine matches to date.
He returns to Australia with hopes of not only resurrecting his Super Rugby career but still has eyes on higher honours in the future.
“I think anyone who makes it to Super Rugby level has aspirations of taking the next step and I haven’t lost any of that ambition to one day make the Wallabies,” said O’Connor. “The only way to do that is to be playing regular footy at that level and I’ve now got the chance to do that with NSW.
“I came to Northland with a view to playing at a high level and hope for an opportunity to come along, and now that it has I’m determined to make the most of it.”
Having followed O’Connor’s form closely throughout the ITM Cup, Hickey said he is confident O’Connor has what it takes to step up in 2011.
“When we were unsure about Will Caldwell’s availability for 2011 we put a few irons in the fire and we knew Pat was keen if an opportunity arose,” said Hickey. “Once we found out we’d be without Will next year, we spoke to Pat and he’s jumped at the chance.
“I was lucky enough to coach him in the 21s a few years ago and he’s always had the physical attributes and the desire to go all the way.
“He’s certainly made the most of his opportunities for Northland and playing against top class opposition each week is certainly improving his football.”
O’Connor will join the HSBC Waratahs at the conclusion of the ITM Cup.
PAT O’CONNOR
Position: Lock
Physical: 197cm, 114kg
Born: 7 January 1985, Brisbane QLD
School: Marist College, Ashgrove QLD
Club / Province: Hikurangi / Northland
Provincial Caps: 20 (Western Force 8, Northland 12)
Provincial Points: 0
Provincial Debut: 2006 v HSBC Waratahs (Western Force)
Super Rugby Caps: 8 (Western Force 8)
Super Rugby Points: 0
Super Rugby Debut: 2006 v HSBC Waratahs (Western Force)
Test Caps: 0

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Have seen him play for the Rats and in the ITM. He did not impress but as cover for Douglas, Mumm and Jowitt he will have to do.

If he is being hired on a 1 year deal so that Greg Peterson can have another full year in 1st grade before he is elevated to a Super contract I agree 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.