• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Waugh, Palu, McCutcheon, Dennis, Mowen, Mumm.... was he even going to get a run!?

Of those only Palu and perhaps Mowen could be considered for 8. McCaffrey is reportedly the back-up for Palu based on Shute form and on that basis with Wallabies getting some rest before the World Cup you would think that he would get at least a few runs off the bench. But then Hickey uses his bench less than Deans (if that's possible) and puts players back before they have recovered from injury properly so he doesn't have to select reserves, so you may be right.

Awful outcome for McCaffrey, you would think that he might have made the Wallabies in 2012 had he had a good 2011. There will be some retirements and departures for France and Japan after 2011.

So, what do the Tah's do to back up Palu for at least the first half of the S15? Some have suggested Kepu and it might be an option. The more likely alternative would be to bring Mowen round to 8 and Mumm back to 6, then you'd be able to play some of the reserve locks alongside Douglas. Depending on form/fitness/recovery from illness, that might result in a more powerful tight five and a mobile, fast and running backrow with lots of lineout expertise.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
So, what do the Tah's do to back up Palu for at least the first half of the S15? Some have suggested Kepu and it might be an option. The more likely alternative would be to bring Mowen round to 8 and Mumm back to 6, then you'd be able to play some of the reserve locks alongside Douglas. Depending on form/fitness/recovery from illness, that might result in a more powerful tight five and a mobile, fast and running backrow with lots of lineout expertise.

I was under the impression Palu would be back?

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
If Palu is back, back row rotation between Palu, Mowen, Dennis, McCutcheon and Waugh, with Mumm as a potential 6 if required looks pretty handy to me...without Palu things look a little less handy. It would be nice to have McCaffrey in the mix too, but them is the breaks.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I wonder if they will look to pick someone up? The big islander 8 from Manly looks to have potential

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Agree on Ita Vaea and at 21 years old is probably a better investment. I saw him for the Brumby Runners earlier in the year and he was a standout in the game, but there's no mention of his being given a super contract by them. He played for Tongan U/20 side last year so we had better nab him. If he came to Oz recently though we should have hands off; so it all depends what the lad wants to do I suppose.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Did anyone else see Mark Gachiari (wicks coach) having a blow up about the condition of Woollarah oval? (can't put link up, am on iPod). That is where I play my junior rugby, and the ground is fine. I was at the game and the players were wearing studs that were way too long.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I was at Woollahra Oval a fortnight ago to watch one of the Colts finals and it was appalling. Little or no grass cover on the playing surface. Maybe you're used to it N1T, but there are much better rugby grounds in Sydney.

The Beasts would do well to take a leaf out of Souths' book: Forshaw was as bad as Woollahra last year but the club pulled their finger out and put a lot of work into their ground. This year it's one of the best playing surfaces in the comp, much better than Woollahra or Uni. And there's a lot more parking at Souths' ground than Easts or Uni.

How Souths and Warringah didn't get a finals match I don't know.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Did they put in a tender?

On the parking note, there is plenty of parking at Uni and this was made available free of charge for yesterdays game.

I gather the tender didn't include the requirement of a decent pitch.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
When I saw Chizz being carried off, he was wearing long studs, not suitable for the hard ground. Clearly he planted his foot and tried to step, and the long studs wouldnt budge.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
There is no way to sugar coat it Tah both pitches used in the finals to date have been poor. They should not have been used and the NSWRU stuffed up big by not including a clause guarenteeing the standard of the ground in the tender process. End of story.

Status
Not open for further replies.