• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Red Rooster

Defeated = Rolled (based on the final score in a match of 80mins)

Barnes is doing pretty well. Played his first ever s14 semi final this season, for the highest ranked Australian team, having completed a clean sweep over all the Australian teams. His opportunities for the Wallabies have been limited of late, but he has done some pretty handy things when given the chance. Sadly he couldn't do much to change the results against the ABs whilst sitting on the bench.

There has been so much crap spouted about how great this or that fringe Reds player is that I'm very keen to have these theories tested and disproved again.

Oh, and for me a trip to Homebush would be a trip East.

No you are right - The Tahs did get "rolled" big time in that Semi - it fact did they beat any of the other teams in the Finals during the season?? I recall the Reds beat the Bulls, Stormers and Crusaders but did miss out against NSW you are correct. It was by my reckoning an average season for the Tahs as they had been in the finals 4 out of the last 7 seasons so experience was with them. They did manage to increase their average crowd by 1% so that is encouraging. The Reds spent the last 7 years at the bottom of the ladder so 5th spot was more than average for them and a 30% increase in crowd attendance is more than encouraging. And before you say it the difference between the average attendance between the two teams is a couple of hundred people so the big crowd at Homebush is making the difference for the Tahs crowd average.

Its good to see its a "local" game for you at Homebush and its a pity the NSWRU does not support the West better as the crowds there are bigger - I see you are a Parramatta Rugby supporter so times are understandably tough

Agree on Barnes - its a pity Deans does not back him and he is going o/s after the RWC - He is still our favourite son up here as his departure was the catalyst for significant change for the better

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Ah good - Tahs v Reds niggle. Love it. Let the chips on the shoulder fall where they may.

I'm starved of watching Oz rugby teams except the Wobs, and the Shute Shield is nearly over. Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war - can't wait for the Super15 as I will call it.

Bring it on.

PS - When the new conference system was reported for the new S15 I opined that the the sniping between the supporters of Oz teams would escalate because there was going to be a certain Oz finalist. The best predictions are true when you make them.

You gotta love the concept of an Oz conference. Let's have a trophy for the Oz "winner". I'm thinking the Macqueen Cup since St. Rodney has been/will be involved with 3 "state" teams.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You gotta love the concept of an Oz conference. Let's have a trophy for the Oz "winner". I'm thinking the Macqueen Cup since St. Rodney has been/will be involved with 3 "state" teams.

Not the "Fava Cup" or the "Schmoo Trophy"?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Let's have a trophy for the Oz "winner". I'm thinking the Macqueen Cup since St. Rodney has been/will be involved with 3 "state" teams.

What about the Valentine cup? As soon as he suits up for the Rebels that is.

Seriously though, you couldn't call it the Macqueen cup until his link with current teams is gone.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Rebels V Tahs could be the Edward 'Weary' Dunlop Cup. 1st Victorian to play for the Wallabies and a true Australian Hero in the true sense of the word.

JimboJoe1006

Chris McKivat (8)
Although I would love to see NSW and QLD competing for a piece of real silverware each year, I think that it may have negative impacts on both sides' Super campaign. If this match does infact carry a trophy and significantly more pride then I can imagine a situation where both teams build themselves up to the extent that the mental and physical 'after-shocks' could impact both sides in the following weeks.

Instead, I have taken great pride from NSW semi-final apperances and top-placed Australian team status over the past few years, much more pride than beating QLD or even collectively clean-sweeping the other Australian teams. This will become even more important with the conference-system next year.

My point is that, I do not think a Cup is the answer, at least not for NSW, because any benefit it may bring is likely to be countered by the effects of holding a mini-competition in the middle of the most pregitious domestic competition in World Rugby. Perhaps some sort of trophy for the top-placed team in each conference?

inthestands

Sydney Middleton (9)
Although I would love to see NSW and QLD competing for a piece of real silverware each year, I think that it may have negative impacts on both sides' Super campaign. If this match does infact carry a trophy and significantly more pride then I can imagine a situation where both teams build themselves up to the extent that the mental and physical 'after-shocks' could impact both sides in the following weeks.

NSW already play QLD for a trophy each year - the Templeton Cup.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Rebels V Tahs could be the Edward 'Weary' Dunlop Cup. 1st Victorian to play for the Wallabies and a true Australian Hero in the true sense of the word.

I have a feeling that there is a cup/shield/vase/plate named in honour of above already...anyone?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Seeing as SA and NZ threw Aus Rugby a lifeline why not the Foodbill Cup? Or the Charity Shield?

Okay I am going now. G'night. :)

Thin Thighs

Ted Fahey (11)
Because it is very Australian for towns to have repetitive place names like Woy Woy, Wagga Wagga, Gang Gang etc, how about the Bill Bill Trophy?

The Bill Bill Trophy would be named in honour of the two times we have won Bill.

The 2012 trophy can be renamed the 3 Bills Cup.:)

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I know! The Sippy Cup!

sippy_cup_250.jpg

T

TOCC

NSW have offered QLD Australian Schoolboys 5/8 Dion Taumata a academy position in 2011, he also received a offer from the Brumbies but is waiting to see if the Reds table a offer as well

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I've seen this kid play over the last few years and have been impressed, particularly as he has made it all the way to the top of the Schoolboy tree from CSS. It would be good if Qld could give him something but with Cooper and Lucas in the main squad and Lance and Murphy (I think) in the Academy, where is the spot for him? Can they keep non-school leavers in NTS and pay them a little money?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Because it is very Australian for towns to have repetitive place names like Woy Woy, Wagga Wagga, Gang Gang etc, how about the Bill Bill Trophy?

The Bill Bill Trophy would be named in honour of the two times we have won Bill.

The 2012 trophy can be renamed the 3 Bills Cup.:)

Good name.

BTW There is a Bli Bli on the Sunshine Coast. Close enough to Bill Bill. hahaha.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I would be surprised to see McCaffrey in the S15 next year, broken and dislocated ankle today

Reactions: DPK

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
That did not look very pretty did it?

Poor bugger. Will it really take him out for next season?

If so, tragedy as he was playing good footy.

Status
Not open for further replies.