• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Add me to the minority who thought Cross was a good buy. I reckon he's still got a few good seasons in him, and doesn't tend to break down.
Plus as a former Rooster he could well generate some interest in Eastern Sydney..

ru1906

Frank Row (1)
No I didn't so I'm happy to wait and see. I don't know if you saw him in 2008 for Scots - I thought his second rwo partner was much tougher but not as tall. I think he also made Oz schoolboys but I could be wrong - was it Hislop or soemthign like that. I thought he was agood prosepct. Don't know where he has gone.
Spewn, Glad to hear you are happy to wait and see. In 2008 Peterson partnered with Tom Heslop in the Scots College second row. Tom was selected and played for AAGPS, NSW Schools and Australia A that year and is currently playing 1st Colts for Sydney University and is on various "up and coming" watch lists.

As a general note, Green and Gold Rugby and this forum is an excellent source of local, state and national rugby union information with quicker and better coverage/analyses than other media forms on the net and in Australia. To that end, everyones' passion and efforts are appreciated, in particular the moderators who keep it informative and constructive.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
that's for the kind words ru1906. Welcome to the site. Hopefully you continue posting and help contribute to the quality of the site!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Add me to the minority who thought Cross was a good buy. I reckon he's still got a few good seasons in him, and doesn't tend to break down.
Plus as a former Rooster he could well generate some interest in Eastern Sydney..

agreed. Thought he played very well at 12 and a backline of 10 Barnes 12 Cross 13 Horne doesn't look too bad I reckon.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Spewn, Glad to hear you are happy to wait and see. In 2008 Peterson partnered with Tom Heslop in the Scots College second row. Tom was selected and played for AAGPS, NSW Schools and Australia A that year and is currently playing 1st Colts for Sydney University and is on various "up and coming" watch lists.

As a general note, Green and Gold Rugby and this forum is an excellent source of local, state and national rugby union information with quicker and better coverage/analyses than other media forms on the net and in Australia. To that end, everyones' passion and efforts are appreciated, in particular the moderators who keep it informative and constructive.

What a debut post! Welcome aboard.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
agreed. Thought he played very well at 12 and a backline of 10 Barnes 12 Cross 13 Horne doesn't look too bad I reckon.

I respectfully disagree. A back-line with Barnes who kicks all too often under pressure and Cross who will truck the ball info contract 9 times out of 10 (when it's on or not) will see Horne get no ball, and that isn't even mentioning the poor wingers and fb outside him. Barnes and Cross are both great players but far too one dimensional.

A Back-line of 10.Hangers, 12.Cross, 13.Horne and 15.Barnes would see Rob get a bit more ball AND would still allow for 2 genuine 5/8s in the team. This would also work well for the Wobs if Fainga'a or Ashely-Cooper take up the 12 jersey.

I've been blowing the Barnes to FB horn for ages now. Nobody else wants on the bandwagon.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
First thing you need to do with Cross is get him running straighter. He has a bad habit of always looking to get on the outside of his man - not such a problem, unless you run across field every time and severely cut down on the space available to the outside men. From a 13 you can tolerate it a bit more, but from a 12 it is awful (especially when you crash ball it and have run away from your own fowards).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I respectfully disagree. A back-line with Barnes who kicks all too often under pressure and Cross who will truck the ball info contract 9 times out of 10 (when it's on or not) will see Horne get no ball, and that isn't even mentioning the poor wingers and fb outside him. Barnes and Cross are both great players but far too one dimensional.

A Back-line of 10.Hangers, 12.Cross, 13.Horne and 15.Barnes would see Rob get a bit more ball AND would still allow for 2 genuine 5/8s in the team. This would also work well for the Wobs if Fainga'a or Ashely-Cooper take up the 12 jersey.

I've been blowing the Barnes to FB horn for ages now. Nobody else wants on the bandwagon.

Beale will be 15, Barnes at 10 (where he spins it regularly when he gets decent ball) if Cross replaces Carter his role will be to truck it up and get quick phase ball.

R

rugby_man

I never really thought Cross was a good signing, but come to think of it, if we get an injury in the centres, he could be extremely useful and important to the team. The fact that he can also cover the wing position, especially with the extended season, is another bonus. He has experience at the highest level and even though he had a poor season for the Force this year, I can see him improving with our expansive running game if given the chance.

In regards to Greg Peterson, I am very happy to see him retained as the Force were sniffing around and making enquiries about his availability. I think he can really excel next year with another year training with the S15 squad. Tim Bennetts, I hear he is most likely to be retained in the pro academy set-up so Cameron Mitchell might struggle to secure a pro academy gig. Fine Moekiola (not sure on the spelling) has been signed into pro academy so that's another spot taken. Also Alfi Mafi I'd imagine will be looked at as he is not being re-signed by the Brumbies again for next season. Afusipa Taumoepeau has also been a victim of the Brumbies cleanout so I'd definitely look at signing him.

Whatever happened to Salesi Manu? I know he is currently playing with Manly but why isn't he with the Tahs? I asked my source and the reply was that he didn't get resigned. I thought he was very good in the Australian Under 20 side. If we develop him, he could be a good gun in the near future.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm not a massive tahs fan by any stretch of the imagination, but i did watch a fair few tahs games last season, and I for one can not understand why tom carter is in the team. The bloke is like the kid who got to fat to be a back but no one had the balls to tell him he'd become a liability. If i was coach I'd have cross over him any day of the week.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm not a massive tahs fan by any stretch of the imagination, but i did watch a fair few tahs games last season, and I for one can not understand why tom carter is in the team. The bloke is like the kid who got to fat to be a back but no one had the balls to tell him he'd become a liability. If i was coach I'd have cross over him any day of the week.

yeah, I think on the face of it most of us arm chair experts feel the same. But I think if you were coach you'd feel differently. From all reports, and I can see it, Carter is one of those players that coaches love. A great attitude, high work ethic, wonderful team man, never gives up, does the little things. And does this all on the training paddock, as well as the field. He may not be the most skilful, but he has a lot of qualities that I would dare say may even be lacking in some of our current Wallabies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Ash,

Cross seemed to run straighter when moved to 12 for the force. I reckon if (as appears to be the case) the way forwards is a crash baller 12 with some offload ability, Cross will be a good signing.

Beale will be the extra playmaker from the back to support Barnes. He might often come into the line between the centres instead of wider.

Cyril Towers (30)
yeah, I think on the face of it most of us arm chair experts feel the same. But I think if you were coach you'd feel differently. From all reports, and I can see it, Carter is one of those players that coaches love. A great attitude, high work ethic, wonderful team man, never gives up, does the little things. And does this all on the training paddock, as well as the field. He may not be the most skilful, but he has a lot of qualities that I would dare say may even be lacking in some of our current Wallabies.

Spot on Reg.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Tim Bennetts, I hear he is most likely to be retained in the pro academy set-up so Cameron Mitchell might struggle to secure a pro academy gig.

Fine Moekiola (not sure on the spelling) has been signed into pro academy so that's another spot taken.

Also Alfi Mafi I'd imagine will be looked at as he is not being re-signed by the Brumbies again for next season.

Afusipa Taumoepeau has also been a victim of the Brumbies cleanout so I'd definitely look at signing him.

Whatever happened to Salesi Manu? I know he is currently playing with Manly but why isn't he with the Tahs? I asked my source and the reply was that he didn't get resigned.

I suppose that since we are only halfway through the year and the money games are yet to come in the Shute Shield, the Tahs wouldn't have settled on their pro academy yet, but it's good to read the odd tid-bit of info that you have provided.

• Cam Mitchell will have to make every post a winner until the end of the season, but his ability to play on the wing will look good on his CV for some Super15 outfit looking for a 13/wing pro academy player. I heard the Rebels were interested in him at one point.

• Fine M – I remember his playing for Newington and getting in the Oz Schools A team out of the NSW Twos. Good player and reminiscent of the young Queenslander Aidan Toua. But I'm always a bit suss about rugby league players returning to union when they are no longer eligible for the Toyota Cup U/20 competition as it indicates that his league club wasn't interested in him, at least to play in their feeder team for the NRL.

The Roosters will have him fit though. Fine used to do the odd post at Sportal when he was at school but he inadvertently gave himself away in one post. Maybe he will visit us.

• I wasn't all that disappointed when Alfi left the Tahs because I thought he could get a starting spot with the Brumbies,so I'm a bit surprised that he didn't make the grade. Looked good for the Runners but Pat McCabe would have done him no favours in getting a S15 starting spot.

• Zipper was great to watch playing for Joeys but he never had a lot of speed to take him into senior rugby and it showed when he got onto the field for the Brumbies, especially on the wing which is not his best spot IMO.

• LHP Salesi Manu is doing OK. Don't forget that this is just his 2nd season out of school. Fairbrother from the Force became available for the Manly Ones just as Salesi had to go to Argentina for the U/20 tournament. Now he's playing THP in the Manly Twos and it won't do him any harm at all.

It's not right to indicate that he hasn't been re-signed for the Tahs pro academy because he's never been in it. He was in the amateur academy in 2009 like a lot of promising schoolboys players are the year after leaving school and it was unlikely that he would be in the pro academy this year since he played only 2nd Grade in 2009 with some 1st Grade time from the bench. Besides, you'd rather have hard head LHP Ofa available in the pro academy, and he was.

I thought that Salesi may have a shot at the pro academy next year as the left hand side of the Manly scrum looked pretty solid when he was playing in the Ones. The other side looked bloody good too with Eddie A playing THP with Lakepa gone. If he's good enough Manu will get a pro gig somewhere in the next couple of years, but since the U/20s are behind him now he may have to move to another club to be a regular 1st Grade player.

Since he's a Dee Why lad we'll take him just up the road at the Rats – that's the kind of considerate people we are.

PS – Come to think of it: I bet that Eddie A is pencilled in on a few Super15 clipboards for their pro academies with a note: “Can play on both sides of the scrum.” Macqueen would know all about him.

R

rugby_man

I suppose that since we are only halfway through the year and the money games are yet to come in the Shute Shield, the Tahs wouldn't have settled on their pro academy yet, but it's good to read the odd tid-bit of info that you have provided.

• Cam Mitchell will have to make every post a winner until the end of the season, but his ability to play on the wing will look good on his CV for some Super15 outfit looking for a 13/wing pro academy player. I heard the Rebels were interested in him at one point.

• Fine M – I remember his playing for Newington and getting in the Oz Schools A team out of the NSW Twos. Good player and reminiscent of the young Queenslander Aidan Toua. But I'm always a bit suss about rugby league players returning to union when they are no longer eligible for the Toyota Cup U/20 competition as it indicates that his league club wasn't interested in him, at least to play in their feeder team for the NRL.

The Roosters will have him fit though. Fine used to do the odd post at Sportal when he was at school but he inadvertently gave himself away in one post. Maybe he will visit us.

• I wasn't all that disappointed when Alfi left the Tahs because I thought he could get a starting spot with the Brumbies,so I'm a bit surprised that he didn't make the grade. Looked good for the Runners but Pat McCabe would have done him no favours in getting a S15 starting spot.

• Zipper was great to watch playing for Joeys but he never had a lot of speed to take him into senior rugby and it showed when he got onto the field for the Brumbies, especially on the wing which is not his best spot IMO.

• LHP Salesi Manu is doing OK. Don't forget that this is just his 2nd season out of school. Fairbrother from the Force became available for the Manly Ones just as Salesi had to go to Argentina for the U/20 tournament. Now he's playing THP in the Manly Twos and it won't do him any harm at all.

It's not right to indicate that he hasn't been re-signed for the Tahs pro academy because he's never been in it. He was in the amateur academy in 2009 like a lot of promising schoolboys players are the year after leaving school and it was unlikely that he would be in the pro academy this year since he played only 2nd Grade in 2009 with some 1st Grade time from the bench. Besides, you'd rather have hard head LHP Ofa available in the pro academy, and he was.

I thought that Salesi may have a shot at the pro academy next year as the left hand side of the Manly scrum looked pretty solid when he was playing in the Ones. The other side looked bloody good too with Eddie A playing THP with Lakepa gone. If he's good enough Manu will get a pro gig somewhere in the next couple of years, but since the U/20s are behind him now he may have to move to another club to be a regular 1st Grade player.

Since he's a Dee Why lad we'll take him just up the road at the Rats – that's the kind of considerate people we are.

PS – Come to think of it: I bet that Eddie A is pencilled in on a few Super15 clipboards for their pro academies with a note: “Can play on both sides of the scrum.” Macqueen would know all about him.

I would have thought that Melbourne would be the ideal side for Cameron Mitchell to continue his rugby development, especially with Bennetts looking more likely to be the more favoured player between the two at the moment. He'd do well to be placed into the Rebels pro academy as a backup to their backs.

Googled Fine M, he is rated pretty highly at the Roosters so it's a great pickup for the Tahs. What year was he at school? For some reason, his name rings a bell.

On Alfi Mafi, he would be a great signing. He is very quick and can cause a lot of trouble out wide if given even a little bit of space. He did look good for the Runners but unfortunately Pat McCabe was looking good for the Super 14 side as well.

I assume Zipper is Taumoepeau. Back when he was at school in 2007, he was very good. He made Australian Schoolboys IIRC, and was very dominant throughout his schoolboy years. I don't understand why they don't play him as a centre, most probably a 12. With his size, he is very hard to handle and isn't a slouch in defence either. He'd look good playing inside Horne for the Tahs.

Salesi Manu would be another who would be best suited to moving to the Rebels to improve his rugby development as well IMO. He looked quite good playing for the Australian Under 20 side over in Argentina and has impressed me in the few Manly games I've seen him play. Eddie Aholelei has been one who has impressed me. I'm sure he wouldn't look out of place if given the opportunity to play for the Junior Waratahs or even the Runners. He is one player who the Super 15 sides should be watching.

Cyril Towers (30)
The trouble with both Mafi and Zipper is that they have both had an horrendous run with injuries. Mafi seems to have Rob Horne hamstring disease. Did his hammy again (about the 3rd time this year) playing for Uni 2 weeks ago. Fantastic player when he is fit, but a big risk at the moment.
Zipper is still very young (about 20) and would still be a good investment IMO.
Haven't seen much of Manu except for the U20s and that is not a great yardstick. If he can prove himself against some old hard heads he may also be worth a punt. He certainly has the build.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Manu needs to lose the baby fat and get working. Both our props struggled in the U20s final against fitter and better technical units.

He has the look of a guy who has got where is through his size, to go to the next level it takes effort because there everyone else is as big as him.

R

rugby_man

The trouble with both Mafi and Zipper is that they have both had an horrendous run with injuries. Mafi seems to have Rob Horne hamstring disease. Did his hammy again (about the 3rd time this year) playing for Uni 2 weeks ago. Fantastic player when he is fit, but a big risk at the moment.
Zipper is still very young (about 20) and would still be a good investment IMO.
Haven't seen much of Manu except for the U20s and that is not a great yardstick. If he can prove himself against some old hard heads he may also be worth a punt. He certainly has the build.

I think Taumoepeau would be a great addition to the squad. But I'd liked to see him used as a 12. He has good hands and is very strong in contact. Ashame about Mafi, he's one player I enjoy watching as he makes things happen. If Manu's Shute Shield performances count for anything, I think he is tailor made for the Super 15, or at least good enough to play in the one of the Super 15 2nd XV sides.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)

It all makes sense now.

Status
Not open for further replies.