• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I actually notably rated Jowitt when I saw him playing for Northland in the NPC. I hope he makes something of himself at NZ's detriment!

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Rory Sidey should start coaching, I don't seem him having much more of a playing career.
He is only about 6 years older then me! I rekkon the force could use someone like him. Cam Jowwitt injured himself in week one for "two or three" weeks and never came back. He has been at every game though.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Update.

The Tahs website has Sidey gone as mentioned earlier. I wrongly thought he had a two year deal. Jowitt is listed as still contracted. In his case press reports mentioned he was acquired for 2010 and no mention of a longer contract period was made. Tllse's contract arrangements continue to be a mystery, as he is still listed. based on his form at the end of the 2010 S14, I' am glad he is still around.

FRONT ROW

1. Benn Robinson (2013)
1. Sekope Kepu (2011)
1. Jeremy Tilse (?? ??)
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau (2011)
2. Damien Fitzpatrick (2011) ??
3. Al Baxter (2011) ??
3. Paddy Ryan (2012) (Rookie)

SECOND ROW
4/5. Will Caldwell (2011) ??
4/5. Cam Jowitt (?? ??)
4/5. Kane Douglas (2012)
4/5/6. Dean Mumm (2011)

BACKROW
7. Phil Waugh (2011)
7/6. Pat McCutcheon (2012)
6. David Dennis (2012)
6/8. Ben Mowen (2011)
6/8. Locky McCaffrey (2012)
8. Wycliffe Palu (2012) *

HALVES

9. Luke Burgess (2011)
9. Brendan McKibbin (2012)
9/12. Josh Holmes (2011) ??
10. Daniel Halangahu (2012)

MIDFIELD
12/10. Berrick Barnes (2011)
12/13. Tom Carter (2012)
13. Rob Horne (2011)
13/12/11/14. Ryan Cross (2011)

BACK 3

11/15. Drew Mitchell (2011)
14/15. Lachlan Turner (2011)
11/14/13/12. Brackin Karauria-Henry (2012)
15/12/10. Kurtley Beale (2011)

Player Movements
There were 34 names on the Tahs website at the end of the 2010 season.

The following have moved elsewhere:

Adam Freier >>> Melbourne Rebels
Dan Palmer >>> Brumbies
Henrik Roodt >>> Griquas
Chris Thomson >>> Narbonne

Not re-signed:
Chris Alcock
Soseni Anesi
Ben Coridas
Rory Sidey
Nemani Nadolo

* Includes 2nd year option
?? However probable, need a link to verify.

There is room for one more for a group of 30 but the Tahs may get dispensation to add another if the prognosis of Caldwell's illness is gloomy.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
PS It's looking like a well balanced squad which is famous last words because a couple of injuries in key areas can change everything.

The key now is to get enough good players in the pro academy.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
Lee when you talk about Caldwell's prognosis, are you referring to his recovery or has he become sick again?

On a side note, I can't believe so many players have been let go when they have only signed 3 new players, maybe 4/5 if you include McCutcheon and McCaffrey. Still that leaves the tahs 6 players short to last year, going into a longer season.

I think Cross was a good signing cos our midfield is looking rather light in players and Barnes is likely to be 5/8th so we only really have 3 players. It'd be nice to see a youngster signed to develop them to take over from carter. That's something link did very well this year with the reds and in previous years. Succession planning is crucial.

Another one is who is going to take over phil waugh, now that Chris Alcock is a free agent? Maybe Hickey feels that a south african 7 is more appropriate under the current laws, which I would agree with, however much I don't like it.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Lee when you talk about Caldwell's prognosis, are you referring to his recovery or has he become sick again?

On a side note, I can't believe so many players have been let go when they have only signed 3 new players, maybe 4/5 if you include McCutcheon and McCaffrey. Still that leaves the tahs 6 players short to last year, going into a longer season.

I think Cross was a good signing cos our midfield is looking rather light in players and Barnes is likely to be 5/8th so we only really have 3 players. It'd be nice to see a youngster signed to develop them to take over from carter. That's something link did very well this year with the reds and in previous years. Succession planning is crucial.

Another one is who is going to take over phil waugh, now that Chris Alcock is a free agent? Maybe Hickey feels that a south african 7 is more appropriate under the current laws, which I would agree with, however much I don't like it.

You would be in the minority. I think Cross is a fading star, not that his star was that bright to begin with. He was poor for the Force this year and hasn't set the World alight in Clubland unlike some of his fellow returning S14 players. I would much rather they had signed Spanner. More power, more pace and more versatile.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Why did they let Alcock go?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Let's not forget Lee that Cross covered 15 for the Wallabies for a period (though never played there).

Also, surely if Holmes can be considered a 9/12 then Dennis can be considered a 5/6/8. He did play there for both the Waratahs and Aus A.

That is all.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
You would be in the minority. I think Cross is a fading star, not that his star was that bright to begin with. He was poor for the Force this year and hasn't set the World alight in Clubland unlike some of his fellow returning S14 players. I would much rather they had signed Spanner. More power, more pace and more versatile.

Fair enough, he is getting a bit old and spanner may have been better. Yet i think the switch to 12 in the later half of the season, playing a crash ball centre much like carter, brought out the best in him. He will at least rival carter for a starting spot.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Lee. Haven't been reading the news - http://rugby.com.au/news/aru_general/shute_shield_-_round_13_preview,140480.html

Contains a line or two on Peterson re - signing on a Professional Academy Contract.
"Greg Peterson, who this week re-signed with the Junior Waratahs professional squad for another year"

Thanks for that; the Tahs know how to keep things a secret don't they? Terry Smith mentioned in the programme last week that Mitch Hardy was after him for the Force. That quote you put me on to was similar to the Jowitt non-announcement, as the news on his retention was just a listing on the Tahs website. To we train spotters this laid-back media work is frustrating. (Yeah, I have to get out more.)

It was a good trick to keep young Greg in the pro academy for a 2nd year as he may have received a better one out west. I'm glad that he is still with the Tahs as I rate him as a 19 year old. But Spewn doesn't ….......

I don't know why they would want Peterson. He's big but soft.
Ouch. I haven't seen that when he's played for Manly in 1st Grade, but maybe you have; fair enough. I don't know if you saw Kane Douglas at the same age, but he wasn't much to write home about then, but a year later and he played in every S15 game from Rd. 2 on.

Why did they let Alcock go?
I don't know why he got in the squad to start with as he was mainly a 2nd Grade player who got a few runs at no. 8 in the Ones now and then for Gordon in 2009. I thought his being in the squad was to satisfy the requirement to have 3 rookies in it, but that kite doesn't fly any more. Regardless, he was in it, and played that terrific game for the Tahs against the Cheetahs when Waugh was injured and made everybody notice him.

In the end the Tahs had to decide between Alcock and McCutcheon as the long term successor to Waugh and rightly or wrongly Alcock missed out.

Lee when you talk about Caldwell's prognosis, are you referring to his recovery or has he become sick again? He must be as he hasn't played for Uni. IIRR Topo said he was home in Young.

On a side note, I can't believe so many players have been let go when they have only signed 3 new players, Some of those players in the 34 listed earlier on the Tahs website were actually in the pro academy at the start of 2010; so they are also new Super contracted players compared to the start of the year.

I think Cross was a good signing cos our midfield is looking rather light in players and Barnes is likely to be 5/8th so we only really have 3 players. It'd be nice to see a youngster signed to develop them to take over from carter. I was surprised by the signing of Cross, more so because he wanted to come home, but IMO also it was a good signing; so we are both in the minority. We needed somebody like Cross who could cover for Horne, principally, but also to cover wing (and fullback, because if Beale is hurt Mitchell or Turner will go there.) As you indicate: he is an also an alternative to Carter if Barnes plays 10 instead of Hangers. Tim Bennetts is in the pro academy this year; so Hickey will be looking at Cameron Mitchell and him in grade this year to see who gets the pro academy spot in 2011. Maybe both.

Another one is who is going to take over phil waugh, now that Chris Alcock is a free agent? See above: McCutcheon.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Thanks for the update, Lee.

Fingers crossed that Barnes gets slotted back into the starting XV for the Tri Nations and rebuilds his confidence. That, to my mind, is the single most important development required (excluding fewer injuries) for the Tahs to make a leap forward in 2011.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think Cross is a fading star, not that his star was that bright to begin with.

You need both youngsters and old pro in the squad. Cross cut up West Harbour on Saturday and is far more effective at 13 and flexible than Sidey who he replaces. To me, he is a good pro who adds quality to the squad. If Horne's hamstring blows having Cross as cover could be a god send.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I'm another one who is happy with the Cross signing, especially as I believe him when he says he wants to fight for a starting position and a Wallabies recall. He started poorly for the Force this season, but improved a lot by the end. I see him as a 12/13 rather than an 11/14/15 though, but the cover is fine for the back 3.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Ouch. I haven't seen that when he's played for Manly in 1st Grade, but maybe you have; fair enough. I don't know if you saw Kane Douglas at the same age, but he wasn't much to write home about then, but a year later and he played in every S15 game from Rd. 2 on.

No I didn't so I'm happy to wait and see. I don't know if you saw him in 2008 for Scots - I thought his second rwo partner was much tougher but not as tall. I think he also made Oz schoolboys but I could be wrong - was it Hislop or soemthign like that. I thought he was agood prosepct. Don't know where he has gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.