• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
what I love about him is that he isn't down about it. Even the blokes pushing paper in the offices admire his courage.

I saw him at the canes game, in a suit on the sidelines and spraying water all over cliffy and fat cat :p He told me he had done his hammy, and sat down with a massive grin on his face.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
I am attending "camp Waratah" on Wednesday and Benny Mowen has told me that I will be coached by "big Dan Vickerman".

Not signed yet and taking the holiday camps... Interesting...

Cyril Towers (30)
I am attending "camp Waratah" on Wednesday and Benny Mowen has told me that I will be coached by "big Dan Vickerman".

Not signed yet and taking the holiday camps... Interesting...

Vickerman was at the Uni v Randwick game today. He's in Australia for a couple of months but is going back to the UK after that. Originally agreed to play a couple of games for Uni but has a couple of injuries so probably won't be pulling on the boots this time around.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Vickerman was at the Uni v Randwick game today. He's in Australia for a couple of months but is going back to the UK after that. Originally agreed to play a couple of games for Uni but has a couple of injuries so probably won't be pulling on the boots this time around.

Surely the fact that he is coaching the kids in holiday camps suggests that he will sign as soon as he is available.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm predicting he'll be as effective as Googy was at the Brumbies. At least in his first year if he signs, that is.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'm predicting he'll be as effective as Googy was at the Brumbies. At least in his first year if he signs, that is.

I agree in general, but he will hopefully help with the restarts. If he can take balls off the kickoff he will already be invaluable to the Tah's game.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I can't see how Vickerman will even be as (in)effective as Harrison. He had injury problems before he left, has had injury problems since he left, and always struggled to come back to form after an injury. Vickerman was absolutely horrendous in the last World Cup after rushing back from yet another injury and one of the massive contributing factors to us losing to England. Plus he's on the wrong side of 30, and will be 32 before the World Cup with several years outside of pro rugby.

I just don't see the value in his signing, unless as stated, you want a potplant lock there for set peices - which is a liability in this day and age. The modern lock needs to be effective in his work around the ground and in his work in the set peices. Vickerman was a great lock in his prime, but now would be a waste of a signing in my book.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I can't see how Vickerman will even be as (in)effective as Harrison. He had injury problems before he left, has had injury problems since he left, and always struggled to come back to form after an injury. Vickerman was absolutely horrendous in the last World Cup after rushing back from yet another injury and one of the massive contributing factors to us losing to England. Plus he's on the wrong side of 30, and will be 32 before the World Cup with several years outside of pro rugby.

I just don't see the value in his signing, unless as stated, you want a potplant lock there for set peices - which is a liability in this day and age. The modern lock needs to be effective in his work around the ground and in his work in the set peices. Vickerman was a great lock in his prime, but now would be a waste of a signing in my book.

He would be an upgrade from Hendrik Roodt

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Given the loss of Roodt, Thomson and likely forced retirement of Caldwell Vickerman even if no where near his best will boost the Tahs locking stocks. He will also be a great mentor in Oz Rugby for Battye and Peterson from the U20's.

I hope to see them gt some time at S15 level next year, maybe we will see a John Eales type bolter for the RWC from one of them.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Given the loss of Roodt, Thomson and likely forced retirement of Caldwell Vickerman even if no where near his best will boost the Tahs locking stocks. He will also be a great mentor in Oz Rugby for Battye and Peterson from the U20's.

I hope to see them gt some time at S15 level next year, maybe we will see a John Eales type bolter for the RWC from one of them.

I'm not sure if Battye will get much game time at all next year with Kimlin coming back from injury and the Brumbies already having Chisholm, Hand and Chapman...

However, with their annual large injury tolls you never know...

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Vickerman considers return

* Bret Harris
* July 06, 2010 12:00AM
FORMER Wallaby Dan Vickerman is believed to be considering coming back to Australia early from Cambridge University to play in the Super 15 next year.

The aim of the second rower's return would be to give himself the best chance of appearing in the 2011 World Cup in New Zealand.

One of the leading second-rowers in world rugby, Vickerman played 52 Tests from 2002 to 2008 before leaving Australia to study economics at Cambridge.

Vickerman's previous position has been that he would not return to Australia until he completed his studies in June next year, which would rule him out of most of the Super 15 series.

But an informed source told The Australian that Vickerman, who is on holidays in Sydney, had indicated he was thinking about coming back in January.

It is understood that if Vickerman played Super 15 next year, he would more than likely rejoin the NSW Waratahs.

With Vickerman in the team, the Wallabies' chances of winning the World Cup would increase markedly.

Along with Nathan Sharpe and James Horwill, Vickerman would give the Wallabies a world class second-row rotation.

Vickerman has the size and physicality to combat Springbok second-rower Bakkies Botha and the lineout skills to compete with his partner Victor Matfield.

Dean Mumm appears to be better suited to blindside flanker at Test level.

Mitch Chapman, who floats between lock and loose forward, sat on the bench against Ireland, but is yet to be capped.

Queensland Reds second-rower Rob Simmons and Waratahs lock Kane Douglas are regarded as players of the future.

Wallabies number eight Stephen Hoiles will be sidelined for three months after undergoing an operation to repair an achilles tendon injury.

Hoiles is hoping to recover in time for the Wallabies' tour of Europe in November.

The Western Force has made an offer to Hurricanes five-eighth Willie Ripia.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/vickerman-considers-return/story-e6frg7mf-1225888239917

Seems a bit of a stretch to me, I don't know the Cambridge academic year but I assume it finishes later than January. The guy left to study, why would he finish early and not meet that goal?

My other concern is his core fitness, to be effective he would have to be working bloody hard to get his body in shape for a S14 season. It starts in January.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
plus I though he was pretty damn average in our last RWC campaign, particularly against the aggressive Pom pack

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
100% agree, but I don't see him as our saviour. Some time with the Tahs to mentor Douglas, with Link/Van doing the same to Simmons and I would be more than happy with one of them joining Kev at lock with Sharpie as back up. Hell, get Vickers in as a lineout analyst/coach. Just don't expect him to do too much on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.