• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsea

Darby Loudon (17)
Is cross quick enough for the wings? If not they're going to have a logjam of talent in the centres which is a shame for the Force / Rebels
I agree Lee. Staniforth was out allot last season with injuries, I wouldn't touch him.

Cyril Towers (30)
What do you think of Tetera Faulkner, the SD LHP?

As for a pro academy THP, I don't know, but what do you think of Eddie Aholelei from Manly?

Lee, I'm a big fan of Tetera Faulkner. He seems to have matured a lot this year. Must have had a big off season. He shares a house with Dan Palmer, so maybe he learnt a few tricks from him. He fulfils my criteria of a year or 2 of tough grade rugby against good props before he gets promoted. He's still only young and will get better.
Eddie Aholei is another big unit who goes OK at scrum time but I think would struggle around the paddock when the pace picks up. I'm not convinced he's fit enough at this stage, but that can be worked on. I have never seen him play THP, though. He normally plays LHP with Fairbrother at THP for Manly.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah I was working of that old agreement in regard to the rookies. I assumed that pending a re-negotiation the old agreement would be observed.

As for the 30 man limit: it was mentioned on the Rugby Club a while back, and Rupert Guinness mentioned it in an article on Tuesday:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/tahs-soon-to-decide-between-cross-staniforth-20100621-yscj.html

Mind you Rupert ask me some of the names of the players in a JW v Runners game as some of the jersey numbering didn't match the details on the team sheets. Maybe he is vague on this matter also.

Note that the article said The Waratahs also have a vacancy in the forwards - most probably for a second-rower - but that is not likely to be filled for several weeks as they continue their search for the right player.

Maybe Guinness hasn't worked out how good Peterson is - or maybe the big guy has been poached but Guinness is constrained from mentioning it.

Definitely watch this space.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...rman-returns-for-world-cup-20100624-z3lk.html

That would be Vickerman then...

inthestands

Sydney Middleton (9)
The article says Vickerman won't be available until May. That would mean NSW would have to have a full roster to start the season then add to it later (isn't that what they did with Luke Doherty?)

Sounds like he's in the sort of demand which would mean he can swan on in for the World Cup without playing much Super Rugby. Rocky did the same last year and ended up captain by the Spring Tour.

Looking at the Tahs website there are 29 players listed of which I think the following is right (happy for others to pick up if I'm wrong...):
Gains (7): Kane Douglas, Locky McCaffrey, Pat McCutcheon (all played in 2010), Paddy Ryan, Brendan McKibbin, Brackin Karauria-Henry, Ryan Cross
Losses (9): Adam Freier (Melbourne), Sosene Anesi (Waikato?), Nemani Nadolo (France), Dan Palmer (Brumbies), Chris Thomson (France), Rory Sidey (contract up), Chris Alcock (contract up), Hendrik Roodt (released, Griquas), Ben Coridas (contract up)

That would make it two more places to fill if they take 31 like last year, or one more if they only take 30. Is there any noise about other players being released?

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
A source within the Waratahs tells me that Freier is not happy about leaving, i dont think the tahs gave him a great offer.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Still no mention about Oz U/20 lock Greg Peterson being promoted from the pro academy to rookie; perhaps not the elephant in the room - more like the giraffe being outside the house.

I'm pacing the floor.

inthestands

Sydney Middleton (9)
Thanks #1 Tah Fan... s

Given his service I'd imagine he would have been unhappy about leaving, but given Fitzpatrick is so highly regarded and that Freier deserves the money of a 20-odd Test veteran, it would have been hard to keep them all on the roster - only so much money for one position, and I reckon Polota-Nau would take a big chunk of that. I guess the Tahs will look at another hooker in the pro Academy capable of being the third string. In 2008 the Tahs carried three halfbacks (Valentine, Burgess, Sheehan) in the Super Squad and two hookers (Polota-Nau and Freier) with the third (Al Manning, who played the semifinal) in the Academy. I guess they'll do the same in 2011 (Burgess, Holmes, Sheehan and Polota-Nau, Fitzpatrick) with someone like Luke Holmes, Ben Roberts, Sam Roberson, John Ulugia... all pretty capable and I don't think they're contracted (is Ulugia still with Brumbies?)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Is cross quick enough for the wings? If not they're going to have a logjam of talent in the centres which is a shame for the Force / Rebels

I know what you mean. In the perfect world we would have the playing rosters for all Oz Super teams more or less equal as better players who can't get a start elsewhere migrate to weaker teams and strong players remain where they are; but the real world isn't like that.

You'd like your Super15 winger to be faster than Cross, and although speed is without price, lack of top speed can be mitigated against by a smart footie player, which Cross is. But he's just cover for there if Mitchell or Turner get crocked, and ditto for Beale, because one of Turner or Mitchell will move to fullback.

Horne's health CV is not great and let's not forget that Cross played some at 12 for the Force this year. Thus he will cover, in effect, for positions 11,12,13,14 and 15. It's on the cards that he will get a lot of game time and more than normal, because surely players will be rested more in the expanded season.

He normally plays LHP with Fairbrother at THP for Manly.

Eddie A was at LHP for Manly when Lakepa was around but he's been playing THP most of this season with Salesi Manu at LHP. Then Fairbrother's return from the Force coincided with Salesi's disappearing with the U/20 team to Argentina. When Manu is back on deck Blake will no doubt start the two hard heads, with Salesi playing something like 50 minutes in 2nd grade and 30 in 1sts, making a useful prop rotation.

Eddie's ability to play on both heads, albeit principally against amateurs, would make him a handy pro academy player but I am not a good enough judge of props to form an opinion if he is a good enough scrummager on the TH side to be a pro academy THP.

Since you are a scrum guy - whom from the Sydney club competition would you nominate to be the pro academy THP? Is Barry Fa'amuasili any good?

inthestands

Sydney Middleton (9)
If each team is going to have 30 players, it is basically 2 XVs per squad. I imagine the Tahs, at this stage, are something like this:
1. Benn Robinson/Jeremy Tilse
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau/Damien Fitzpatrick
3. Al Baxter/Sekope Kepu or Paddy Ryan
4. Dean Mumm/Will Caldwell
5. Kane Douglas/Cam Jowitt
6. Ben Mowen/Dave Dennis
7. Phil Waugh/Pat McCutcheon
8. Wycliff Palu/Locky McCaffrey
9. Luke Burgess/Josh Holmes or Brendan McKibbin
10. Berrick Barnes/Daniel Halangahu
11. Drew Mitchell/Brackin Karauria-Henry
12. Tom Carter
13. Rob Horne/Ryan Cross
14. Lachie Turner
15. Kurtley Beale

So basically, they have extra cover at prop and No.9, and need a bit of extra cover in the backline, although there is versatility amongst the ones there; for instance, Barnes, Halangahu or Beale can play flyhalf, Carter, Barnes, Horne or Cross can play inside, Horne, Cross, Mitchell or Carter can play outside, Beale, Mitchell or Turner can play fullback (probably need another speedster in addition to Karauria-Henry. Lock doesn't look so weak given Dennis showed he can play above his height for Aus A on Spring Tour and in the game against the Bulls. If injuries don't hit as hard in 2011, a rotation policy won't weaken them too much...

R

rugby_man

I like the idea of a rotation policy. Against some of the so-called weaker sides, I'd like to see Brackin Henry given a game here and there. On the 7's circuit, he looks to be very sharp out in open space. Putting him on the wing outside Horne could improve his game quite a lot. Horne is very good at attracting players with his footwork. I woulnd't mind seeing Locky McCaffrey get a few games next season as well. I rate him very highly. Our halfback stocks are very good IMO. Brendan McKibbin had a great game last weekend against Sydney Uni. Josh Holmes is a class player but I like him more at 12, as he did play for Warringah last years in a few games. Lachie Turner played outside centre today and by all reports had a stormer of a game which is good for the versatility of the squad next year.

T

TOCC

i hardly think a rotation policy is required, there will be enough injuries throughout the year that a player will get his opportunity regardless of rotiation policy or not.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
i hardly think a rotation policy is hardly required, there will be enough injuries throughout the year that a player will get his opportunity regardless of rotiation policy or not.

If this year is anything to go by, game time will not be a problem for many!!

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think to bring the crowds back they need some serious talent up front. by which i mean in the forecourt of the SFS. Hire out a jazz band and get them to wear tahs shirts. get the team on public transport to the game. how about a raffle to win seats in the dugout? or to go on tour with the team? or the match ball?

never mind attractive rugby....

Cyril Towers (30)
LG, I don't have a high regard for Barry Fa'amausili. Certainly talented and big enough, but doesn't do the work and has a bit of an attitude problem, or at least he did when he was at Uni Colts a few years ago. Dan Roach at Easts looks OK, and has had a bit of experience in Europe. I am not sure who else is around, all the good ones in grade rugby already have contracts of one sort or another. I suspect it would have to be a young bloke ready to take the step up.
I am also informed (although not confirmed by the man himself) that Jeremy Tilse has been given a 2 year contract by the tahs.

On another matter, I am not sure Will Caldwell will be around next year. He hasn't played for a few months now and there is no word of a comeback.
Hangers has a serioius shoulder injury and may not play again this year. Phil Waugh sustained a knee injury against Easts last week and may be out for 6-8 weeks. Dan Vickerman probably won't play for Uni this year as he also has an injury, but there is a good chance he will be back next year.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
I think to bring the crowds back they need some serious talent up front. by which i mean in the forecourt of the SFS. Hire out a jazz band and get them to wear tahs shirts. get the team on public transport to the game. how about a raffle to win seats in the dugout? or to go on tour with the team? or the match ball?

Or maybe coming up with a really naff song sung by a band that noone had really heard of and then getting a bunch of teenagers who cant hit a not to stand outside the stadium and annoy all the spectators as they arrived for the game.

Or alternatively, get one of your sponsors to produce some crappy plastic merchandise (that has probably caused it bit of environmental damage in its production) and again annoy the crap out of spectators as they arrive who then grab one of these banner things in the faint hope they might win some cash at half time.

I am sounding more and more like a grumpy old git every day. And loving it :)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Welcome to the grumpies.......

They could cut out the stupid rock music at every stop in play.

Status
Not open for further replies.