• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Sorry if I'm over posting, but Cam Jowitt was at my rugby game today, because he is good friends with Brendan McKibben (our coach) and told me that he had taken the entire year off, he had surgery last week, and this week is the first week that he hasnt been feeling pain.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
A bit tough to say he must not be much good because he missed out on Oz Schools selection.

No, I didn't mean that: when I said that Seage may not sound like much I meant that he may not sound like much to other forum members who haven't seen him play as I have, and may wonder why he wasn't in either of the Oz Schools teams. And they would not be aware of his injury situation either.

Thanks for the other info about him, which I didn't know about. Great stuff.

I doubt if the ARU would nominate which club he has to play for as I have never heard of such a thing. But we have lots of room at the Rats for a promising young bloke should he be looking for a gig in God's Country. We'll look after him; we're that kind of caring people.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Sorry if I'm over posting, but Cam Jowitt was at my rugby game today, because he is good friends with Brendan McKibben (our coach) and told me that he had taken the entire year off, he had surgery last week, and this week is the first week that he hasnt been feeling pain.

Thank's for that. Did he say what was the nature of his injury/operation? I have forgotten. And I wonder why he had an operation only last week.

The only thing that I can remember about his injury in Rd. 1 of the S14 this year is that it came at the same time as the suspension of Dean Mumm. Thus emanated the rise Kane Douglas.

Cyril Towers (30)
I doubt if the ARU would nominate which club he has to play for as I have never heard of such a thing.

ARU certainly don't allocate clubs. I am not even sure that they allocate S15 franchises. There are a lot of players with ARU contracts (usually for 7s) who do not have S15 contracts or even academy spots. Jacob Taylor at Uni springs to mind.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
No, I didn't mean that: when I said that Seage may not sound like much I meant that he may not sound like much to other forum members who haven't seen him play as I have, and may wonder why he wasn't in either of the Oz Schools teams. But we have lots of room at the Rats for a promising young bloke should he be looking for a gig in God's Country. We'll look after him; we're that kind of caring people.

Sorry about that; my bad. Phil Brown the Rats colts coach is well known to the Hills boys. He has done some casual teaching down there and a bit of coaching as well. I know he has been in the ear of a few of the boys so you never know. I rate Brown as a coach.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
According to Terry Smith the Tahs will be signing lock Sitaleki Timani soon. Hickey is on record as saying he had one spot open so if Smith is right and Hickey not blowing smoke, then Sita will be the last Tah signed for 2011.

Timani has an impressive physique and is athletic. What he hasn't shown me, nor the Force nor Brumbies, is that he is a real footie player; otherwise they would have given him more time on the park.

There has been a whiff of Nadolo comic book rugby in his few appearances in Super rugby but he can be devastating at the club level. I saw him play a couple of times for the Rats in 2008 and wondered why he wasn't a regular S14 starter. No doubt it was because it's a lot tougher at the higher level - and in more ways than one.

It would be good if he could get to the same level as Radike Samo did for the Brumbies a few years back as they have some similarities.

I thought that Greg Peterson from the Manly club would get the last spot but somebody advised on the forum that he is having another year in the pro academy.

Nice work from the Tahs to get young Greg to stay in town without a S15 contract. I rate him.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thank's for that. Did he say what was the nature of his injury/operation? I have forgotten. And I wonder why he had an operation only last week.

The only thing that I can remember about his injury in Rd. 1 of the S14 this year is that it came at the same time as the suspension of Dean Mumm. Thus emanated the rise Kane Douglas.

It was apparently "bone bruising" at the time, not sure what happened, but he is feeling much better now. Interesting that the Tahs started that game with Caldwell and Jowitt at locks, but finished with the future wallabies combo, Mumm and Douglas.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
It was apparently "bone bruising" at the time, not sure what happened, but he is feeling much better now. Interesting that the Tahs started that game with Caldwell and Jowitt at locks, but finished with the future wallabies combo, Mumm and Douglas.

Dean Mumm is a year older than Horwill and Simmons is a touch younger than Douglas.

Not saying it's impossible but you are certainly being very one-eyed to suggest it's particularly likely that they will both find themselves in Wallaby starting jerseys at the same point in their careers. I think we will see all 4 of these boys drifting in and out of the 4/5 jerseys for some years to come.

EDIT: Why did it hyperlink the name Dean Mumm then refuse me access to the page it hyperlinked to? Are we doing player profiles as a new feature? The Western Force fan forum does that, has player profiles in the form of a forum thread that can be commented on. They are often quite out of date though but it's not a bad idea, it allows people to post little tidbits of info about players on a thread about them rather than on a broader thread. It means the info is always kept in a thread where it is nice and relevant.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Why did it hyperlink the name Dean Mumm then refuse me access to the page it hyperlinked to? Are we doing player profiles as a new feature? The Western Force fan forum does that, has player profiles in the form of a forum thread that can be commented on. They are often quite out of date though but it's not a bad idea, it allows people to post little tidbits of info about players on a thread about them rather than on a broader thread. It means the info is always kept in a thread where it is nice and relevant.

There is something new coming, getting very close to launch. I won't steal the thunder too much, but it will be similar to what you have mentioned, but broader in scope and hopefully more up to date and relevant.

Des

Bob McCowan (2)
My understanding is that there is a spot open for a wing/fullback with the Tahs. Players such as Mafi (Uni), Dellit (Easts) or Trist (Uni). Mafi, very talented but injury prone and only a wing. Dellit - not bad. Trist - has hit his straps lately - always in the top try scorers for the Shute Shield and can play wing, fullback and centre.

Anybody heard of any others in the mix????

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
My understanding is that there is a spot open for a wing/fullback with the Tahs. Players such as Mafi (Uni), Dellit (Easts) or Trist (Uni). Mafi, very talented but injury prone and only a wing. Dellit - not bad. Trist - has hit his straps lately - always in the top try scorers for the Shute Shield and can play wing, fullback and centre.

Anybody heard of any others in the mix????

I would take Dellit but I am surprised D'Arcy is not in the mix. Ben Batger has had a pretty good season too.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
According to Terry Smith the Tahs will be signing lock Sitaleki Timani soon. Hickey is on record as saying he had one spot open so if Smith is right and Hickey not blowing smoke, then Sita will be the last Tah signed for 2011.

That is fucking good news. Timani is a beast.

I cannot believe we have 5 Super rugby franchises and they all dropped the ball on Nemani Nadolo.

Tahs wing/fullback - Trist & Pat Delitt have zero speed. A one legged banged up Mafi is preferable.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Berries reports on the Waratah Shield thread that Seage has signed a Sevens contract. His facebook said as much and that he had signed with the ARU. As the ARU fund the various Super 15 academies I'd say he has been allocated to NSW.

A bit tough to say he must not be much good because he missed out on Oz Schools selection. It was widely reported in the Oz schools thread that he got injured at the national C'ships in the first 10 minutes of the first game and didn't play any further part in the tournament. This is the same game that Cameron Clarke got injured and he played no further part in the tournament.

Seage played in two schoolboy sevens events earlier in the year. One being the national schoolboy sevens at Riverview and the other being the Scots Sevens. He was the standout player in both. I understand that Michael O'Connor was watching at Riverview and that's where it all started. In the game against the NTS squad at Scots he scored 4 trys.

This boy is built for speed (He has been timed at 11 flat at Hills Sports) and is suited to the game. He is definitely a good signing for the Sevens. We will see how he develops in the 15's game but with Scott Bowen's assistance at the Tahs Academy I can only see positive things coming out of this arrangement. While Seage has a league background with the Parramatta Eels he has played a bit of rugby at Barker College when he was there. Aussie Dominance might be able to give us some more information about his previous rugby background.

Don't be surprised to see him come into the Oz Schools if there are injuries.

As for clubs I'm hearing it will be either Wests or Eastwood. Or do the ARU allocate the club?

Did Year 7 at Barker in the 13A's as a flyhalf. Just scraped the barrel to get into the side. Moved to Hills Sports then played Rugby on and off in schools program but played in North Sydney league comp originally for Asquith then moved to a Parramatta club thus ending up at Parramatta SG Ball. He played Rugby on and off at school and I believe it is the representative honours he is gaining in the schools program that has turned him around to really liking rugby as I remember he always had ambitions to play league.

Lives in Berowra so the Gordons & Eastwoods are in with a show although Wests and Eastwood seem like favourites for different reasons.

inthestands

Sydney Middleton (9)
That is fucking good news. Timani is a beast.

I cannot believe we have 5 Super rugby franchises and they all dropped the ball on Nemani Nadolo.

Who has dropped the ball? He is a Fijian international now and would have to be signed under the foreign player rule. I would imagine there's a fair few wings running round in the ITM and Currie Cups who are at least as good.

People said the same thing about Beau Robinson when he wasn't re-signed... but who has signed him since?

There's clearly a fairly common school of thought in all the franchises surrounding a few of these guys...

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Who has dropped the ball? He is a Fijian international now and would have to be signed under the foreign player rule. I would imagine there's a fair few wings running round in the ITM and Currie Cups who are at least as good.

People said the same thing about Beau Robinson when he wasn't re-signed... but who has signed him since?

There's clearly a fairly common school of thought in all the franchises surrounding a few of these guys...

The tahs.

Young players need to be taught skills and how to play the game. It doesn't just happen. This is the problem with Australian rugby. We don't look after how youth.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The tahs.

Young players need to be taught skills and how to play the game. It doesn't just happen. This is the problem with Australian rugby. We don't look after how youth.

Nadolo has had plenty of time to "develop", the problem appears to be that he just took too long to develop a work ethic on the training ground. All the other Aus S15 sides had an opportunity to sign him and they all passed, that says something, the Brumbies need outside backs really badly and he is off to france

Hope the guy kills it in France.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I hope Nadolo kills it in France for a few seasons, gains a better skill base and then comes back. But I hope he comes back to the Force. Lord knows they could use a marquee player and some strike power.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Nadolo has had plenty of time to "develop", the problem appears to be that he just took too long to develop a work ethic on the training ground. All the other Aus S15 sides had an opportunity to sign him and they all passed, that says something, the Brumbies need outside backs really badly and he is off to france

Hope the guy kills it in France.

Our players skills is a problem not just in nadolo case but in general. Even with players that make it at super15 level. Their not taught enough.
Really sad to see this guy go.

Status
Not open for further replies.