• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Moono75

I'll revisit my post from page 2 of the Force v Stormers thread leading into that game where I said:

"I wonder if Godwins knee injury was a result of Adriaan Strauss smashing him as he kicked the ball out at the siren to end the game. Was no point, Strauss was a tool!"

I reaffirm my view Strauss is a TOOL!

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Really? Because they hammered the Chiefs. I mean, you'd think with a squad like that under two coaches like that, the Jakeball they had been playing would be their plan B. Especially as Jakeball has delivered zero titles.

I wish this was the case. But Larkham has already stated he would not be changing a winning game-plan - or a game plan that took them to the finals. So the majority of the structures Jake left would still be in place. Unfortunately I think the attacking game we saw and loved against the Chiefs was plan B.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I wish this was the case. But Larkham has already stated he would not be changing a winning game-plan - or a game plan that took them to the finals. So the majority of the structures Jake left would still be in place. Unfortunately I think the attacking game we saw and loved against the Chiefs was plan B.

I actually think he is trying to evolve it but he doesn't want to risk radical changes - and he is on a learning curve as well. I think when he talks about decisions its about getting the players to see the opportunities and attack and change their instincts. Its a dower plan but its about 90% successful and a hell of platform to work from. If Larkham can add that 10% pure attack its a formidable game plan! The Chief game was a sample of what it could be. Fingers crossed it comes sooner than later.

Phil

Chris McKivat (8)
It's a radical thought, but how about we pick a goal kicker, and preferably one who can punt the ball a long way to earn territory from penalties? And, to add to all that (!), somebody who can execute restarts with precision.

Is there such a beast in Australian rugby? Hint, it's not Foley.
Did you watch Foley last weekend?I would agree with you about Foley earlier, but from what I saw last match, he seems to have worked very hard on both goalkicking and in general play.He was regularly kicking long,clearing kicks.OK,most of his goal kicks were from relatively easy positions,but he never looked like missing which is a change from earlier in the season.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Can we stop fucking around with mystic interpretations and stats for the backline for a second?

As a start, pick the guys who are best in their positions:

9 White
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15 Folau

If you argue with that, you are clearly high on something.

These guys are the best, most consistent players in their preferred positions. So save yourself the bullshit theories and start picking the best players around them to complement this. Forget about favouring particular combinations of players from your team, because THESE GAMES ARE NOT ABOUT BEATING FRANCE.

It is about the germination of our World Cup squad, and getting a core of players who are capable of beating those bastard Kiwis in a couple of months to get our cup back.

Eyes on the prize FFS.

As a bastard kiwi I won't presume to tell you who should & shouldn't be wearing yellow this year, but I must say I find this radical idea of picking the best player in each position, that they actually play week-in week-out intriguing. I'll be watching to see if it happens & if so how it pans out.

I would like, however, to point out a coupla errors in your post:

First, the fact that the French have probably never sent frogmen (what else would they be?) into one of your harbours to sink an unarmed vessel going about its lawful business & in the process killing one of said vessels crew, doesn't mean they they wouldn't if their President or PM felt like it. The French should, therefore, be beaten like a Victorian-era waif or late-60's British MP (Moana Pasifika). At every opportunity.

Second, Bledisloe was our guv'ner - there's a Bledisloe St in my old home town, not far from Cobham, Fergusson & Freyberg, GG's of NZ all of 'em - so strictly speaking the times the Cup has spent West of the deetch (FFS, can't you guys even say "Dutch" properly?) count as a holiday not a homecoming. And I don't think Ruchie & his mates are ready to let go just yet - never mind, you've still got bragging rights over the DHL Cup.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
"playing the big boys" well you need big boys for that. Kuridrani finally gave us some size in the backline. That backline except Folau and Cummins is tiny! They may make tackles but you won't see any dominant tackles. France will run over them eventually.
Dominant tackles is something I more expect from forwards, but To'omua, Cummins and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are all capable of them.

Genia is no more capable than White, maybe less. Folau is going to be 15, so that just leaves Mogg who has the aforementioned boot going for him. Kuridrani's forms not so red hot that he must be picked.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
9. White
10. Foley
11. Cummins
12. To'omua
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Mogg
15. Folau

There, done. That's our best backline based on form and building combinations for the RWC.

Mogg would be the most contentious, but that raking boot of his is worth a motza when playing the big boys. I'm sick of facing off against the other teams with cannon boots and we have pop guns in the arsenal. If speight was eligible he would steal the spot, but he's not. The other genuine wing options are all either injured, still a bit green or in average form.

By picking the above you can then select a 6/2 split with Genia and Beale. Only spot it really exposes us is if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) goes down. If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) goes down Cummins can cover 13 and we need to put Beale on the wing. Same thing if a winger goes down. I'm sure he would cope.

In your scenario, I'd go with McCabe on the4 bench instead of Beale. Much better coverage if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) goes down and at least equal (imo better) coverage of all other spots.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Well, it'll only be a number of hours before the squad is announced.

Probably 25 or so are gimmees

I'm really looking forward to the selection of the "smokeys" - hopefully players that have not as yet performed at Wallaby level but with sufficent talent and promise to increase Aussie chances next year at RWC

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Oz are already claiming Skelton and English as bolters, but taking into account the standard of journalism coming from Wayne Smith and Bret Harris they could now be jinxed.........

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
The Oz are already claiming Skelton and English as bolters, but taking into account the standard of journalism coming from Wayne Smith and Bret Harris they could now be jinxed...
Jim Tucker said the same with Adam Coleman as well

Sent from my HTC_0P6A1 using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'm more interested in the "shock" omissions than the bolters, to be honest. To me, that's as much about current form as anything. Bolters generally get in the squad but hardly on the field; omitting a big name past Wallaby is a bigger change.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
@QantasWallabies: Wallaby Squad Teaser: There are 831 Test caps in the 32-man @QantasWallabies squad. #FranceTour14

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It's a 32 man squad, which just means you have to try REALLY hard to get outraged because pretty much everyone who you think will get picked will be picked.

It will come down to one or two dicey picks, but I have faith this forum can take the outrage up to 11 when the time comes........

Status
Not open for further replies.