• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

To'omua is the best 10 in Aus playing behind a very strong Brumbies back. Putting behind a less dominant pack and he will likely have a lot more difficulty at 10.

He has shown ability to perform very well at 12 behind an indifferently performing Wallabies pack though.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The questionable position selections will be at:
4 or 5 (Simmons will get one spot methinks)
9 (although White should be a gimmee)

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
id add 1,3

and 13 not sure that Kuidrani is a shoe in there could easily be AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 probably only wont because tomane is injured

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
So many possible backline selection. I think a big part of the puzzle is deciding who has the most potential and in what positions.

In terms of a wallabies 10, I think both To'omua and Foley have potential to be good wallaby 10. Both offer something different to Cooper. To'omua started at 10 for the wobs last year and so I think he probably has the inside running for the spot. Plus I think To'omua has the potential to be a wallaby great, either at 10 or 12. Plus Im still not completely sold on Foley, although that is not a knock on him, I just haven't seen him play in my many high pressure games, like a Super finals series.

In terms of 12 there are plenty of options. At the moment I'd be leaning towards starting the game with a very abrasive backline and then bring on a bit of spark in the second half. the best bet could be to give To'omua strong ball runners as centres to build some confidence (perhaps McCabe / Kuridrani). Bring Beale on in the second half and play 2 play makers. However this means option is that White is your only genuine kicking option, so I don't think its a genuine option.

I'm still not convinced that Lilo should be discarded on current form. He has been unspectacular but solid since his return. People saying he is playing poorly is probably not fair. He hasn't been playing to his potential but that's expected when coming off an injury. he will eventually come but in to form. He's still done enough to unseed an inform McCabe. Plus I think the wobs look best when they have 2 playmakers. playing Lilo at 12 allows you to play To'omua at 12 when the right time presents itself and it also gives you a decent kicking option.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Can we stop fucking around with mystic interpretations and stats for the backline for a second?

As a start, pick the guys who are best in their positions:

9 White
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15 Folau

If you argue with that, you are clearly high on something.

These guys are the best, most consistent players in their preferred positions. So save yourself the bullshit theories and start picking the best players around them to complement this. Forget about favouring particular combinations of players from your team, because THESE GAMES ARE NOT ABOUT BEATING FRANCE.

It is about the germination of our World Cup squad, and getting a core of players who are capable of beating those bastard Kiwis in a couple of months to get our cup back.

Eyes on the prize FFS.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm still not convinced that Lilo should be discarded on current form. He has been unspectacular but solid since his return. People saying he is playing poorly is probably not fair. He hasn't been playing to his potential but that's expected when coming off an injury. he will eventually come but in to form. He's still done enough to unseed an inform McCabe. Plus I think the wobs look best when they have 2 playmakers. playing Lilo at 12 allows you to play To'omua at 12 when the right time presents itself and it also gives you a decent kicking option.

I don't think Leali'ifano has played well enough to unseat McCabe. The Brumbies backline has looked considerably inferior since that decision has been made. It seems to be a decision based around needing Lilo to play to find form and hoping that happens quickly. Two of the Brumbies four losses have come in the last four weeks since Leali'ifano has started for them.

I agree that when in strong form, Leali'ifano is probably in our best 23 but at the moment I don't think he is close to that.

We may as well select Horwill, Genia etc. in the starting XV because when at their best, they're in our best side.

I don't understand why we'd apply different rules to Leali'ifano just because he missed the start of the season due to injury (which is now quite a long time ago).

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It's a radical thought, but how about we pick a goal kicker, and preferably one who can punt the ball a long way to earn territory from penalties? And, to add to all that (!), somebody who can execute restarts with precision.

Is there such a beast in Australian rugby? Hint, it's not Foley.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's a radical thought, but how about we pick a goal kicker, and preferably one who can punt the ball a long way to earn territory from penalties? And, to add to all that (!), somebody who can execute restarts with precision.

Is there such a beast in Australian rugby? Hint, it's not Foley.

Foley probably has the best restart of the Australian kickers this season and the goalkickers all vary from week to week.

White should probably be the Wallaby goalkicker now that Cooper is injured.

White and Mogg both punt the ball a long way on penalties, but they also miss touch roughly once a game. It's a risk/reward situation.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Can we stop fucking around with mystic interpretations and stats for the backline for a second?

As a start, pick the guys who are best in their positions:

9 White
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15 Folau

If you argue with that, you are clearly high on something.

These guys are the best, most consistent players in their preferred positions. So save yourself the bullshit theories and start picking the best players around them to complement this. Forget about favouring particular combinations of players from your team, because THESE GAMES ARE NOT ABOUT BEATING FRANCE.

It is about the germination of our World Cup squad, and getting a core of players who are capable of beating those bastard Kiwis in a couple of months to get our cup back.

Eyes on the prize FFS.

I think some would argue Kurindrani is a better 13, or at least not far behind on form.

Also its weird you didn't mention To'omua. He has clearly been the best 10 by a country mile even with Coopers injury.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Foley probably has the best restart of the Australian kickers this season and the goalkickers all vary from week to week.

To'omua isn't bad at the restarts, I think he would look a lot better if he had Falou and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) chasing them too! I don't think restarts are going to be an issue, at least not enough to include Foley in the squad. If he is chosen in the squad it should be for other reasons.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Ill give it ago

Props: Slipper, Sio, Smith/Cowan, Alexander, Kepu, Longbottom
Hooker: Moore, TPN, Charles
Lock: Horwill, Simmons, Jones, Skelton
Backrow: Hooper, Fardy, Palu, Higginbotham, McCalman, Hodgson
Halfback: Genia, White, Phipps
Flyhalf: To'omua, Foley, Beale
Centres: Godwin, Kuridrani, Lealilfano, McCabe
Wingers: Cummins, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Fullback: Folau

If you wanted more back 3 cover you could drop a prop Smith/Cowan but I dont think you need to with Beale and McCabe able to cover.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Also its weird you didn't mention To'omua. He has clearly been the best 10 by a country mile even with Coopers injury.

I think the forum's general dismissal of Bernie Foley clouds the issue too much. Foley offers a little more on attack IMHO while To'omua's kicking in general play and defence are stronger.

I'm not locking either of them in at this point because I'm undecided. And if To'omua was the best by a country mile, why aren't the Brumbies scoring many more tries than the Tahs?

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Looks spot on to me (with Mogg for the 6th prop).

Personally, I'd take Carter instead of Horwill but I doubt Link will go that way.

Find out in 24 hours.

T

tranquility

I think the forum's general dismissal of Bernie Foley clouds the issue too much. Foley offers a little more on attack IMHO while To'omua's kicking in general play and defence are stronger.

I'm not locking either of them in at this point because I'm undecided. And if To'omua was the best by a country mile, why aren't the Brumbies scoring many more tries than the Tahs?

Throw Folau on the end and that backline and they would have alot more, and you would have alot less.

D

daz

Personally, I would quite like to see Cummins moved closer to the action at the Force. 12/13 perhaps?

Not really sold on him being a pure winger and while he is good at setting up attacking plays, he lacks a bit of the finishing touch. And frankly, I believe he is wasted hanging out on the wing.

He is a class player, so I'm always keen for class players to get their hands on the ball a bit more.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Throw Folau on the end and that backline and they would have alot more, and you would have alot less.

That's a great counter argument. There is no doubt that Folau made hay while the sun shone in the first few rounds. Then there was throatgate, and now he's been on a bit of a dry run since as far as tries go.

However, a lot of those opportunities were created by Beale, and we've already decided as a group that he doesn't get a start because his defence at 12 isn't going to cut it at Test level.

Its interesting that, now Folau is playing as a facilitator, the Tahs have gone back to scoring tries without his individual brilliance. Though it could be argued that he always draws two players and makes space as well.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Personally, I would quite like to see Cummins moved closer to the action at the Force. 12/13 perhaps?

Not really sold on him being a pure winger and while he is good at setting up attacking plays, he lacks a bit of the finishing touch. And frankly, I believe he is wasted hanging out on the wing.

He is a class player, so I'm always keen for class players to get their hands on the ball a bit more.

I agree. However, simple, balls-out, direct running is not greatly favoured by a certain contingent who want bamboozlement combined with jet shoes, a cannon boot, and the ability to fly.

Quite simply people don't know what they've got until its gone. I like the Badger, and I don't care if he has a sidestep, he has heart and fucking effort, which is more than you can say for some who have worn the jersey.

Status
Not open for further replies.