• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

Quite simply people don't know what they've got until its gone. I like the Badger, and I don't care if he has a sidestep, he has heart and fucking effort, which is more than you can say for some who have worn the jersey.

Completely agree. But his fire and brimstone, combined with ability and a body that is made to hit people at a hundred miles and hour would be far more effective each game if he wasn't out waiting for someone to feed him the pill.

I reckon if he was able to have more touches, he would have more tries, or at the least be setting them up.

Still, the Force seem to be a working mechanism right now, and I suppose if it ain't broke, it doesn't need fixing.

I'm just saying that from a Wallaby viewpoint, I'm not sold on the Badger as a Test winger. However, just because of his heart and passion I'd want him in the squad somewhere.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think the forum's general dismissal of Bernie Foley clouds the issue too much. Foley offers a little more on attack IMHO while To'omua's kicking in general play and defence are stronger.
I'm not locking either of them in at this point because I'm undecided. And if To'omua was the best by a country mile, why aren't the Brumbies scoring many more tries than the Tahs?

That question is easily answered. The Brumbies play a different game-plan, a more conservative game plan. Also, as previously mentioned the Tah's haven't exactly scored all their tries as a result of Foley's attacking abilities, but more as a result of other individuals in the team - Falou being the main attacking threat.

Chuck To'omua into an attacking game-plan and you might just see a different player. At the moment though he is no doubt implementing the current game-plan and playing the most consistent rugby out of all the fly-halves in Aus.

Having said that I would actually like to see To'omua play 12 for the wallabies, but that would be going against your previous post where you wanted to "stick these guys in their preferred positions".

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Can we stop fucking around with mystic interpretations and stats for the backline for a second?

As a start, pick the guys who are best in their positions:

9 White
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15 Folau

If you argue with that, you are clearly high on something.

These guys are the best, most consistent players in their preferred positions. So save yourself the bullshit theories and start picking the best players around them to complement this. Forget about favouring particular combinations of players from your team, because THESE GAMES ARE NOT ABOUT BEATING FRANCE.

It is about the germination of our World Cup squad, and getting a core of players who are capable of beating those bastard Kiwis in a couple of months to get our cup back.

Eyes on the prize FFS.

I'd agree IF we were GUARANTEED of winning the RWC. Let's reflect on the remoteless,. slim, nearly infintesable possiblity that we do NOT win the RWC and lose to France this year as well.

Fuck that. We should pick the best available players to represent Australia each and every time. Sure, you also need to have an eye for the future and maybe a bench spot or two or three can be utilised for that purpose

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Can we stop fucking around with mystic interpretations and stats for the backline for a second?

As a start, pick the guys who are best in their positions:

9 White
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15 Folau

If you argue with that, you are clearly high on something.

These guys are the best, most consistent players in their preferred positions. So save yourself the bullshit theories and start picking the best players around them to complement this. Forget about favouring particular combinations of players from your team, because THESE GAMES ARE NOT ABOUT BEATING FRANCE.

It is about the germination of our World Cup squad, and getting a core of players who are capable of beating those bastard Kiwis in a couple of months to get our cup back.

Eyes on the prize FFS.
Love your passion but AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has played more tests on the wing then any other in contention and is one of the incumbents there so you cant really apply that to him. I would argue he is the best winger and 13 on offer

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Terrible for the bloke after such a cracking year. A real shame and he must be devastated.

But due to the misfortune Godwin, I think I may have just picked the winning 4 Rebels to get a call-up tomorrow:

Higgers, Jones, Smith, and yes, Mitch.
I think they will pick a third half or back up openside instead of another centre. Particulary considering some of the possible wing options are also centres - AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper),Horne

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Terrible for the bloke after such a cracking year. A real shame and he must be devastated.

But due to the misfortune Godwin, I think I may have just picked the winning 4 Rebels to get a call-up tomorrow:

Higgers, Jones, Smith, and yes, Mitch.

2/4 definites..........

Smith would have to displace Robinson....... so 50/50 there..........

Mitch? I doubt it..........

Not with To'omua, Foley, Lilo, McCabe, Beale, Kuridrani and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the squad.............

And I would probably still pick Horne, and possibly Harris ahead of him.........

D

daz

2/4 definites....

Smith would have to displace Robinson... so 50/50 there....

Mitch? I doubt it....

Not with To'omua, Foley, Lilo, McCabe, Beale, Kuridrani and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the squad.....

And I would probably still pick Horne, and possibly Harris ahead of him...

Geez, aren't you a Debbie Downer?!

At least let me keep dreaming until the squad is actually called!

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
9. White
10. Foley
11. Cummins
12. To'omua
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Mogg
15. Folau

There, done. That's our best backline based on form and building combinations for the RWC.

Mogg would be the most contentious, but that raking boot of his is worth a motza when playing the big boys. I'm sick of facing off against the other teams with cannon boots and we have pop guns in the arsenal. If speight was eligible he would steal the spot, but he's not. The other genuine wing options are all either injured, still a bit green or in average form.

By picking the above you can then select a 6/2 split with Genia and Beale. Only spot it really exposes us is if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) goes down. If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) goes down Cummins can cover 13 and we need to put Beale on the wing. Same thing if a winger goes down. I'm sure he would cope.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Braveheart - I think its a bit rich to blame the Brumbies recent losses on Lilo's return to the side (or even to draw some correlation between the two events).

The point of my email is that I don't agree that Lilo is terribly out of form, and unlike Horwill I'm not so sure there are better options available in the 12 position.

Also I have actually supported Genia being chosen in the starting side, although im aware a lot of people don't agree with me there. 50/50 call

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My backline for the first test would be:

White
Foley
Cummins
To'omua
Kuridrani
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Folau

I think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is in superb form and clearly playing better than Kuridrani right now at 13. With the shortage of wingers though, I think the Wallabies are a better team as listed above than with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 and someone else on the wing.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)

White
Foley
Cummins
To'omua
Kuridrani
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Folau

I think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is in superb form and clearly playing better than Kuridrani right now at 13. With the shortage of wingers though, I think the Wallabies are a better team as listed above than with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 and someone else on the wing.

This is my backline now with Godwin gone.

With Beale Genia and maybe McCabe on the pine depending on the bench make up

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

White
Foley
Cummins
To'omua
Kuridrani
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Folau

I would be happy with that, or with 10. To'omua / 12. McCabe.......

At the moment the rest of the backline picks itself.........

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Having said that I would actually like to see To'omua play 12 for the wallabies, but that would be going against your previous post where you wanted to "stick these guys in their preferred positions".

I said that was where you should START :)

Then pick the best players around them.

Love your passion but AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has played more tests on the wing then any other in contention and is one of the incumbents there so you cant really apply that to him. I would argue he is the best winger and 13 on offer

Simmons and Horwill have played the most lock in recent years but are currently playing like pea-hearted brats.

Do we still pick them because of incumbency? Because of 5 games that happened six months ago?

My point to both these posts above relates to the major complaint about the tenures of both Eddie Jones and Robbie Deans - picking players out of position.

We know AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) can play wing. But by fuck he's been playing 13 all year, and kicking everyone's arse at it, so pick him at 13. He should be rewarded with first crack at the jersey.

If there happens to be another 13 playing well, with experience on the wing e.g. Kuridrani, then pick him on the fucking wing or bench.

That question is easily answered. The Brumbies play a different game-plan, a more conservative game plan.

Really? Because they hammered the Chiefs. I mean, you'd think with a squad like that under two coaches like that, the Jakeball they had been playing would be their plan B. Especially as Jakeball has delivered zero titles.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I

Simmons and Horwill have played the most lock in recent years but are currently playing like pea-hearted brats.

Do we still pick them because of incumbency? Because of 5 games that happened six months ago?

no but AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is playing well ?#?

Status
Not open for further replies.