• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
This has come up a few times on here. The reality is we don't have access to the sort of statistics and metrics that can definitively prove a case one way or the other. And even if we did have them, the eye test still has a huge role to play.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I reckon that the best coaches and selectors rely on what they see themselves in the first instance, with stats used as supporting data. I would imagine that stats have more value in improving performance, rather than as a selection tool.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
One key factor overlooked is the value team mates place on a player.
You can't put stats around it but there are certain players that inspire confidence in the whole team they play with. Others inspire their playing partner e.g. other centre/lock/prop/backrower.
These players are often not the big name or star players but players that just make you feel better lining up at kick off, knowing they're there.
No stats are going to help selectors here.

ACT Oracle

Frank Row (1)
Can someone tell me why everyone is saying Bernard Foley is going to be the starting 10? after a good game against the lions. Dont get me wrong he's a good player, but surely To'omua should be rewarded for playing the whole season well so far, not just one game. If we are going to pick our best 15 for the 3 test series, why do we keep picking players like Genia and Robinson when players like White and Sio are playing good footy.

Is it just me or is Ewen Mckenzie is going to keep picking the same players that don't perform. Surely we should be picking the Form 15 at the moment, not the players who have played well, who now are just average.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Can someone tell me why everyone is saying Bernard Foley is going to be the starting 10? after a good game against the lions. Dont get me wrong he's a good player, but surely To'omua should be rewarded for playing the whole season well so far, not just one game. If we are going to pick our best 15 for the 3 test series, why do we keep picking players like Genia and Robinson when players like White and Sio are playing good footy.

Is it just me or is Ewen Mckenzie is going to keep picking the same players that don't perform. Surely we should be picking the Form 15 at the moment, not the players who have played well, who now are just average.
Everyone isn't.
Some people have raised the possibility McKenzie might like To'omua at 12, as he did last EOYT, and that an option, in that case, could be Foley at 10.
You see, he could even pick both. ;)

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Surely both To'omua and Foley(and probably Beale and Godwin) will be in the squad and Ewen will have a look at various combinations.
For mine it would be a mistake to throw out the brumbies inside backs in Wallaby gold. Yes they have good combinations but are they what we are looking for at the highest level?
Lilo has been underwhelming at test level besides his goal kicking and To'omua has proven to be an excellent test 12.
McKenzie will be looking to put out a side that is another step up from anything our Super sides currently have.
That might mean playing Foley at 10 with To'omua and Kuiradrani in the centers or playing To'omua at 10 with Godwin or Beale at 12 and maybe AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13?
The only lock in right now is Folau at 15.
None of our Super packs would stand up very well against the likes of the ABs or Boks and I imagine the same can be said of our Super back lines.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I would prefer Beale than Foley. He has a much greater upside.

Beale can defend at 10 and attack at 12 or just maybe be the 10.

He would make a good combination with To'omua.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Agree, I think with the form & style of play he has exhibited this year.
A bench spot is about right.
If the game starts to open up with 20 to go,he could wreak havoc.
If it turns out to be a stop start,war of attrition,he can look on.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
One key factor overlooked is the value team mates place on a player.
You can't put stats around it but there are certain players that inspire confidence in the whole team they play with. Others inspire their playing partner e.g. other centre/lock/prop/backrower.
These players are often not the big name or star players but players that just make you feel better lining up at kick off, knowing they're there.
No stats are going to help selectors here.

Spot on - IMO that's what the Reds are lacking with Horwill this year.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)

Deans had me asking questions like that.
Link, for the short term he's Wobs coach I've liked what I've seen with regards to team balance, and game plan.
QC (Quade Cooper) shoulder has thrown a huge spanner in the works though, I think his injury may also influence the selection of the # 9.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not sure of the To'omua is a 12 talk. He is a genuine 1st 5 in my eyes and I think what the Wallaby selectors have done (smartly IMO) has played him at 2nd 5 to get him into test rugby.

It's been a good move because once To'omua cracked the starting lineup there was an established 10. Plus he's a good defender. But his skills lie with the ball in hand. He is a natural playmaker.

I see a lot of Dan Carter in how To'omua plays. And ironically it was 12 where Carter cut his teeth at test level before getting the 10 jersey more permanently.

Lilo on the hand is not in Australia's best 23 IMO. As a 12 I think he is behind To'omua, Goodwin and even his Brumbies team mate in McCabe. But I guess with injuries Lilo becomes a consideration.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Not sure of the To'omua is a 12 talk. He is a genuine 1st 5 in my eyes and I think what the Wallaby selectors have done (smartly IMO) has played him at 2nd 5 to get him into test rugby.

It's been a good move because once To'omua cracked the starting lineup there was an established 10. Plus he's a good defender. But his skills lie with the ball in hand. He is a natural playmaker.

I see a lot of Dan Carter in how To'omua plays. And ironically it was 12 where Carter cut his teeth at test level before getting the 10 jersey more permanently.

Lilo on the hand is not in Australia's best 23 IMO. As a 12 I think he is behind To'omua, Goodwin and even his Brumbies team mate in McCabe. But I guess with injuries Lilo becomes a consideration.

I read it the same way.

I'm interested to see the changes in game strategy though as To'omua, and QC (Quade Cooper) have different strengths that may result in different game strategy.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Im going to jump on the Foley bandwagon, I like the idea of To'omua staying at 12 for the wobs. I also think that Foley will be even better with To'omua outside then Beale.

Foley has the ability to control the game alot better then Beale and he has a good passing and kicking game. He looks at his best when he occassionally takes on the line to keep them guessing.

A combination that hasnt been discussed is Foley's kick off for Folau and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). This play has worked unbelievably and restarts are a critical part of the game. I would of like Cooper first but I reckon foley deserves a crack against the frogs with touma 12

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think if To'omua plays 10 , mcabe is the best 12 options atm. think the foley/ To'omua show has the ball in Izzy's hands in space more and thats what we need

Status
Not open for further replies.