• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
I would like to see To'omua stay at 12, although I recall in recent interviews Link was emphasising the short time in camp before the first test. He is perhaps leaning towards an established combination:-

9.White
10.To'omua
12.Lilo
13Kuridrani

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think White might be reluctant to be a the primary kicker. I read somewhere Lilo stating so. So It's hard to put him in the wallabies squad as the primary kicker if the player doesn't want too be.

That doesn't make sense, why would someone be reluctant to kick, it's not like it's physically draining.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Cooper may not have been ahead of To'omua on Super Rugby form and copped some fair criticism but I would have been a lot more confident with him at 10.

In his absence I think a combination of Lilo-To'omua is our best chance. Foley does not strike me as a test player.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So 32 man squad..

Props: Slipper, Kepu, Sio, Alexander, Longbottom
Hookers: Moore, Polota-Nau, Charles
Locks: Simmons, Skelton, Jones, Horwill
Backrow: Palu, Fardy, McCalman, Higginbotham, Hooper (c), Hodgson
Halfbacks: Genia, White
Flyhalves: Foley, To'omua, Beale, Lealiifano
Centres: Kuridrani, McCabe, Horne
Wings: Cummins, Ashley-Cooper, English
Fullback: Folau, Mogg

Doubt it'll be different to that

Not considered: Cooper, Tomane, Gill, Douglas, Speight

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
So 32 man squad..

Locks: Simmons, Skelton, Jones, Horwill, Carter
Backrow: Palu, Fardy, McCalman, Higginbotham, Hooper (c)
Centres: Godwin, Kuridrani, McCabe, Horne
Fullback: Folau

They'll definitely have a backup openside, most likely Hodgson. He'll replace one of those 5 locks - either Carter or Horwill.

I'd say they'll take a 3rd halfback too - most likely replacing Horne.

And English is an interesting one. I wouldn't mind seeing that tbh but I suspect Mogg is the more likely reserve there.

Rest looks about right.

T

Train Without a Station

They won't definitely have a back up openside. If they aren't going to play one as a reserve they may not have a back up one. If there is an injury, one can be easily brought in.

T

Train Without a Station

Also Qwerty I think you're pretty much on the money though I don't think Horne is a shot (mostly as he is only getting time on the wing and will not play there) and Carter may be selected as a 5th lock instead.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think a 3rd string halfback will definitely be included but not necessarily a reserve openside.

I guess the decision should come back to what Link would do if Hooper went down in the warm up. Would he bring a player from outside the 23 into the starting team or would he start one of his reserve flankers and put a new player on the bench?

If the answer is to use a bench player then there's no point having a reserve 7 in the squad.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
So 32 man squad..

Locks: Simmons, Skelton, Jones, Horwill
Backrow: Palu, Fardy, McCalman, Higginbotham, Hooper (c), Hodgson
Centres: Kuridrani, McCabe, Horne
Fullback: Folau, Mogg

Not considered: Cooper, Tomane, Gill, Douglas, Speight

Liked you original team better Godwin over Horne for me but i guess im a force fan so yeah.

choco7

Stan Wickham (3)
I posted in one of the comments in the articles on G&G before with these stats… so for those who didn't see them or would like to hear your opinions.
I just ask when are we going to start crediting defense in rugby… it is always overlooked as the pressure for electrifying attack has undone our rugby championship hopes over the last decade.

Defensive Stats for 2014:
Inman: Tackles-made/tackles-missed: 98/4 = 96.08%
Godwin: Tackles-made/tackles-missed: 95/11 = 89.62%
Beale: Tackles-made/tackles-missed: 20/14 = 58.82%
To'omua: Tackles-made/tackles-missed: 43/18 = 70.49%
Lealiifano: Tackles-made/tackles-missed: 33/10 = 76.74%
Kuridrani: Tackles-made/tackles-missed: 52/16 = 76.47%
McCabe: Tackles-made/tackles-missed: 42/3 = 93.48%
Inman to me seems very easy to sway away from when its brought to life that maybe he doesn't offer enough in attack. personally for all its understandable that defence if overlooked because its not our first point of call watching a rugby game to follow defence, but rather the ball. inman has missed only four tackles this year and made 98… a pretty ridiculous stat. would definitely love to have him facing up against the likes of NONU!! defence is key and attack means nothing if we give it all up by letting in try after try. Inman this year has shined for the rebels, and is actually the 9th highest offloader in the comp using his 105Kg frame to bust up the guts and get his team on the front foot. electrifying footy isn't his style, though i think the wallabies possess enough of that, which has seen cooper JOC (James O'Connor) and beale never see success at bledislode levels. NZ is the benchmark to beat if we want to compete at the RWC and bring bill home, though i would put no centre ahead of inman in defence and nor should mckenzie and his team

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I posted in one of the comments in the articles on G&G before with these stats… so for those who didn't see them or would like to hear your opinions.
I just ask when are we going to start crediting defense in rugby… it is always overlooked as the pressure for electrifying attack has undone our rugby championship hopes over the last decade.
Defensive Stats for 2014:
Inman: Tackles-made/tackles-missed: 98/4 = 96.08%
Godwin: Tackles-made/tackles-missed: 95/11 = 89.62%

My stats have Godwin with 106 tackles and 10 misses for a 90.56 completion and Inman the same as yours but completely agree with what you are saying.

The reason i would go with Godwin (as well as being from the Force) is that he has made the 106 tackles in 708 mins of rugby compared to Inmans 866 and their attacking stats are almost the same which is interesting considering the way the Force have played this year and the perception that Inman is a attacking machine this year and Godwin is down on last years form.......

choco7

Stan Wickham (3)
My stats have Godwin with 106 tackles and 10 misses for a 90.56 completion and Inman the same as yours but completely agree with what you are saying.

The reason i would go with Godwin (as well as being from the Force) is that he has made the 106 tackles in 708 mins of rugby compared to Inmans 866 and their attacking stats are almost the same which is interesting considering the way the Force have played this year and the perception that Inman is a attacking machine this year and Godwin is down on last years form...

Either way the way i look at it is that wether either of them make the team… i do think there is a strong reasoning for squad selection. Beale To'omua lealiifano and kuridrani have a lot to answer for. The Rebels have played a lot more of an attacking season this year holding the ball in hand compared to the force - which might be one reason for a higher percentage.

The rebels are actually according to the sanzar website the greatest defence in the comp. i just reckon sticking to historical players may be well and good against the northern hemisphere, though against all blacks and springboks it hasn't proven its worth. we either try and do something about it or say good bye to another rugby championship and bledislode

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
You can only tackle players that choose to run at you, so comparing tackles made is really pointless to an extent.

Yes. Its getting a bit Scott Allen around here - "Look at this hand-picked stat that proves my point!"

I would like to see To'omua stay at 12, although I recall in recent interviews Link was emphasising the short time in camp before the first test. He is perhaps leaning towards an established combination:-

9.White
10.To'omua
12.Lilo
13Kuridrani

Nope - can't agree. While Link needs to win Tests, the French squad are hardly going to get more time than us in camp, having flown direct from finals football. An established combination isn't necessarily a winning one - they'll be comfortable showering together but that's about it, win/lose/draw.

This series is Link's chance to start honing a squad for TRC, and that's what he's going to get cracking on without doubt. For that, knowing which players he has and won't have, he'll have to put together the squad he wants to beat the Boks, ABs, and Pumas.

Status
Not open for further replies.