• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Last year he was a good 12 not a great one

Sent from my HTC_0P6A1 using Tapatalk
I actually think its Leo not his ankle 2012 fisher wrote an article saying he told Leo pull his head in and lead the team.. no gits no one else to carry him.. I think he needs a kick in the pants and told to take control again.. putting him ten be a good start.. but if you have a ten like To'omua do you take that risk.. I dunno

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
So you're treating Horwill like Buck Shelford?
Not saying you're wrong.

The reds trio who have been the backbone of our team over the last few years - Horwill, Genia and Cooper - need to be given an enforced break.

The way I see it is all 3 are long term test options. They are all top class when firing, but they are all currently running on empty. Link should call them up, tell them exactly that and say 'fellas, I'm not considering you in the Wallabies until the EOYT. Disappear, have a holiday and get yourselves mentally refreshed so you can be back to your best by next year.' (Cooper is injured now, so that's already a done deal).

This, or some other similar type of long-term player management is what the ARU need to consider. I hate to say it, but NZ seems to understand this (see, last world cup). I think it's good not just for results, but players longevity in the game.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I actually think its Leo not his ankle 2012 fisher wrote an article saying he told Leo pull his head in and lead the team.. no gits no one else to carry him.. I think he needs a kick in the pants and told to take control again.. putting him ten be a good start.. but if you have a ten like To'omua do you take that risk.. I dunno

You take the risk. Imagine this. Lilo playing 10 - in the form he was playing in 2011 (i think - before his ankle injury) combined with 12. To'omua in the form he was playing with the wallabies.

We can only dream.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
You take the risk. Imagine this. Lilo playing 10 - in the form he was playing in 2011 (i think - before his ankle injury) combined with 12. To'omua in the form he was playing with the wallabies.

We can only dream.
It was 2012 the form your thinking of 2011 was last of gits .. 2012 .. he had no one to carry him..

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Reds down to 1 probable starter now QC (Quade Cooper) out - Slipper only
Simmons a strong maybe ?
Its been a long time since such a small representation from QLD - suppose that rightfully reflects the dismal Reds season.

T

Train Without a Station

I don't agree with that. In 2009 after many dismal seasons didn't we still have 3-4 wallabies (genia, Barnes, Horwill and hynes?). A bad season doesn't mean all 15 are terrible.

When the brumbies had a horrid season in 2011 did that mean only 1 was a fair pick? Hardly. Even in bad teams there are still good players.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd be putting Lilo at 12.

2 years ago I would have agreed with you but he isn't even the best 12 in his team anymore let alone he country he has been down on form for a very long time.

I'm with GaffCHinO. Lilo is nowhere close to his best form and his goalkicking has deserted him. The Brumbies have paid the price for starting him ahead of McCabe in recent weeks. Their attack is nowhere near as threatening.

The problem is that we can't really pick To'omua at 10 and McCabe or Horne at 12 as then we don't have a kicker.

I think the combination of the weekend's events being Cooper's injury, a strong game from Foley and an average game from Lilo where he gave up the kicking job after missing his first two should put Foley and To'omua into the frontrunning for the 10 and 12 jerseys.

T

Train Without a Station

I agree. To'omua is a better 12 than 10 anyway in addition to being our best and most rounded 12. I don't think he would look near as impressive at 10 behind the Reds pack for example, though I still think he would perform very well at 12.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I'm with GaffCHinO. Lilo is nowhere close to his best form and his goalkicking has deserted him. The Brumbies have paid the price for starting him ahead of McCabe in recent weeks. Their attack is nowhere near as threatening.

The problem is that we can't really pick To'omua at 10 and McCabe or Horne at 12 as then we don't have a kicker.

I think the combination of the weekend's events being Cooper's injury, a strong game from Foley and an average game from Lilo where he gave up the kicking job after missing his first two should put Foley and To'omua into the frontrunning for the 10 and 12 jerseys.
Umm but White should be 9 and kicker but I actually agree To'omua should still be 12 with Foley or Beale 10

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Umm but White should be 9 and kicker but I actually agree To'omua should still be 12 with Foley or Beale 10

Yes. I forgot about White and he would kick ahead of Foley. I wonder if Link will start him though? I definitely would.

You'd guess that Cooper's injury makes it easier to pick White as well. There's no more argument regarding the Genia/Cooper combination.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yes. I forgot about White and he would kick ahead of Foley. I wonder if Link will start him though? I definitely would.

You'd guess that Cooper's injury makes it easier to pick White as well. There's no more argument regarding the Genia/Cooper combination.
IF, and that's a moderate IF, Link decides to go with Foley, I'd be happy for him to kick the closer range stuff - his short range kicking is pretty good. White is a no-brainer for longer stuff if he is the 9 (and he can kick short range too of course), and I'd have to agree he ought to be starting, based on this year's evidence.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)

White case gets stronger with out Cooper..As much as people give Cooper crap we are much weaker without him.. his kicking and game play leave us with so many more options

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Quade gone for 16 weeks. I think this means we go with Matty To'omua for the Wallabies till the end of the RC. Bring Quade back into the fold in the EOYT and see if he can bring back his form. Otherwise the World Cup 10 will have to be decided on next years SR15 form.

It would be surprising if they picked Quade for the EOYT after an extended layoff. I guess it may depend how the other options are going and whether there are any injuries.

The RWC next year will certainly make it more likely that he goes on the EOYT to get him back in the Wallabies mix.

I guess we can expect to see Quade in the NRC as that will be the only rugby available when he returns (aside from test rugby).

T

Train Without a Station

I wouldn't say it's surprising. If they considered him their best option at 10 prior to injury I'd say it's highly likely.

Last year Quade, To'omua, Lealiafano and Foley all toured. In addition Mike Harris did as a 12/15 option also. I doubt that injury would push Quade out to be the 3rd or 4th choice 10.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think White needs an opportunity to start. His form this year has overall been superb. He's been in the Wallaby setup and seems to have improved his game. Genia has been so hit and miss this year, even when the Reds have had front foot ball.

Genia is one of the team leaders I suspect and he has developed into a key player, but I think its time to give White the 9 jersey.

I remember when Marshall had a mortgage on the AB 9 jumper and then Kelleher had a standout year for the Highlanders. He was a different player to Meg, and whilst I couldn't believe Marshall was "dropped" to the bench (in 01), I think the AB coaches did the right thing in both rewarding obvious improvement by BK. For the next 3-4 years the competition for that 9 jersey was hot.

I think that's what Link needs to do something similar.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
I think White needs an opportunity to start. His form this year has overall been superb. He's been in the Wallaby setup and seems to have improved his game. Genia has been so hit and miss this year, even when the Reds have had front foot ball.

Just don't let him kick for touch on penalties. Just about guaranteed to miss touch at least once per game.

Status
Not open for further replies.