• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'd have Carter as my first bolter for lock. There is lots of questions over his physicality at Test level but I had the same questions over Fardy before he debuted and he has been one of our best wallaby performers.

Carter is competing with Jones (and Douglas but shouldn't be picked) as I see it. Jones will get the nod, he makes more metres in tight.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Carter is competing with Jones (and Douglas but shouldn't be picked) as I see it. Jones will get the nod, he makes more metres in tight.

I hope you are right. I would be disappointed not to see either Jones or Carter in the squad. I'd prefer Carter as I have watched more of him being a Brumbies supporter but would have not issue at all with Jones being picked.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's a tough one regarding Douglas.

On form you'd have him in the Wallaby squad and the Waratahs are still hoping to convince him to stay.

The understanding seems to be that he's agreed to terms in Ireland but hasn't signed a contract yet. If that's the case, you'd probably think Link will pick him on the basis that he both deserves to be part of the squad and it might help sway him to stay in Australian rugby.

Will certainly be one of the interesting aspects of Thursday's announcement.

T

Train Without a Station

Will depend on who else they are looking at too BH. For instance if they are saying him and Carter are equal, which way should they go, I'd back them to go the way of the guy who isn't leaving.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)

Doesn't Jones play as a LH Lock and Carter as a TH Lock, does this make a big difference ? I dont know.

I think Carter's put in 2 years of high quality work, and is the hardest working lock in super rugby.

I can't see Coleman/Neville getting selected as they have only just cracked the Force\Rebels first team.

I think we will see 4 Locks selected, with Horwill, Simmions, Jones, Skelton/Carter.. or 5 with both.

Carter and Fardy have been the form locks for the arguably the form forward pack.

I will just wait and see, to be honest I don't think I would be 2 upset with what ever gets selected.

But seriously don't pick any Brumbies for the June tests, I want them to have a break and train to smash the rest of the Super 15 :) Then you can select them for the Wobbs :)

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
It would be madness to discard Horwill altogether only a year out from the world cup. I wouldn't have him in my 23 on current form but I'd definitely have him the squad and I hope he finds form soon.

Braveheart, I agree with the essence of your post. Horwill is not just in the side to do the bread and butter, but is seen as a player that we will rely on to make an impact. On current form he's just getting through his work with no real impact. To be fair Horwill and Simmons did put in some good performances early this season against the likes of the Sharks and Brumbies but whilst their work rate and set piece technique has remained good, their impact has floundered. That's perhaps indicative of players who are involved in a team that is well out of finals contention, but still no excuse.

I really like what I've seen from Cheika's Tahs this season in that, whilst they have had what can only be described as a poor line-out their strength has been their ability to get front foot ball. That requires some physicality and big bodies (the likes of Douglas, Skelton, Palu, Pots, TPN, etc).

I expect the Wallabies will also want to play a lot of running rugby and similarly will rely on a pack that can give our (awesome) backline some good front foot ball. That's where the likes of Skelton and Palu become more attractive, and the likes of Horwill become less attractive.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Am I the only one who see's Carter as just an honest toiler?

I mean he is a good player, but nothing about him screams test player in my opinion.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Doesn't Jones play as a LH Lock and Carter as a TH Lock, does this make a big difference ? I dont know.

Jones is definitely a tighthead lock, he regularly pick and drives and does one out hit ups. Neville is the one that plays looser out wide.

Excluding Douglas and Pyle this is how I see it

Jones > Carter > Coleman > Horwill for the tightheads
Fardy > Skelton > Simmons > Neville > Wykes for the looseheads

Although to be fair to Simmons he's clearly the best lineout lock and whether that's good enough to jump a few spots who knows.

Maybe the best thing for Horwill is to take some time off from playing and do a conditioning program, he could come back in 2015 firing making a big impact in the collisions.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
1. Robinson/Slipper, Slipper when not suspended.

2. Moore, no one else comes close. 'Barnstorming'

3. Kepu

4. Simmons - has upped his game physically and will combine with Horwill for best lineout.

If Rob Simmons stops giving away idiotic penalties at the ruck he would easily be up there.

5. Horwill.

This will cause controversy given Form but Horwill has been playing in a team short on confidence that has nothing in attack and a tiny pack. If you put him in a Wallabies team going forward with options where other people are being physical, bingo. He deserves a shot.

6. Fardy
7. Hooper - no comment here
8. Higginbotham (Palu is still too injury prone at the moment)

9. White - Bench Genia. If White not performing, Phipps. Genia needs a kick to tell him to get moving.

10. To'omua.

We need to stop picking blokes who just can't defend. Cooper injury free would probably still be dropped to the bench. Put Foley on the bench and bring him on if you want to get L3WS3.

11. Cummins/Tomane

12. Lealiifano - Strong play, can distribute without being an idiot, 1st choice kicker, combination with To'omua

13. Kuridrani - combination again, physical, runs good lines.

14. Speight when available, until then Adam Ashley Cooper

15. Folau

Honourable mention / bench:

Cottrell, Skelton, Hodgson, Jones, TPN, Alexander

Imported and paid IRB members off to let play:

Potgeiter

Gone

CFS, Fainga'a(s), Tapuai, the reds backrow, Dennis.

What does everyone think of that team? Cottrel will be knocking on the door as backup pretty soon, I thought I was pretty fair and the only area where I thought I might have some 'regional bias' was in the locks.

This should be a strong year from the Wallabies but I still don't think we have the quality to get back the Bledisloe.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
What to do with Douglas? I've seen every Tahs home game for the past how many years (and quite a few away ones) and every game he plays Kane puts in the hard grunt, which mostly goes unnoticed. I told my son (a fellow 4/5) to watch him carefully in the match against the Stormers last year, he was flabbergasted how much work he got through. On Sunday he drove himself to a standstill so much he HAD to be taken off instead of Skelton.

Now that Pyle's going, and Horwill's waning, it's a perfect opportunity for the ARU to fix things up and offer him a decent amount of moolah. Oz rugby desperately needs a few experienced second-rowers along with the young turks brigade of Skelton, Jones, Carter and Neville.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Is his deal confirmed? If so, Douglas is in the same category as Mowen I'd say - I doubt either will be considered regardless of form.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
We're not quite sure, Richie. The rumour is Kane's agreed to terms but not signed the paperwork. Hope still beats in Tahs supporters' breasts.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
What to do with Douglas? I've seen every Tahs home game for the past how many years (and quite a few away ones) and every game he plays Kane puts in the hard grunt, which mostly goes unnoticed. I told my son (a fellow 4/5) to watch him carefully in the match against the Stormers last year, he was flabbergasted how much work he got through. On Sunday he drove himself to a standstill so much he HAD to be taken off instead of Skelton.

Now that Pyle's going, and Horwill's waning, it's a perfect opportunity for the ARU to fix things up and offer him a decent amount of moolah. Oz rugby desperately needs a few experienced second-rowers along with the young turks brigade of Skelton, Jones, Carter and Neville.

If anyone in the ARU had half a brain they would find that Moolah.

But I guess he is not a posterboy.

Hell of a player. But most people unfortunately donlt rate a player if he's not running around throwing skip passes and fancy offloads.

People think Skelton can do the job Douglas does. They are completely off their heads. Skelton only attends every second or third ruck and cannot jump and cannot be lifted.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
We're not quite sure, Richie. The rumour is Kane's agreed to terms but not signed the paperwork. Hope still beats in Tahs supporters' breasts.

Stuff him, World Cup year young guy who's taken off for the Money, like Mowen and Pyle.. I wouldnt be throwing Money at him to keep him if his not going to fight for it there are other options just as good if not better who want to be there..

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
If anyone in the ARU had half a brain they would find that Moolah.

But I guess he is not a posterboy.

Hell of a player. But most people unfortunately donlt rate a player if he's not running around throwing skip passes and fancy offloads.

People think Skelton can do the job Douglas does. They are completely off their heads. Skelton only attends every second or third ruck and cannot jump and cannot be lifted.

I dont think anyone says that, but Jones, Carter, god even Neville and Coleman can do the job Douglas is doing.. So find the Moolah for someone who's not league's ahead of others in his position.. He should want to stay make the World Cup team win it and then look overseas.. Obviously doesn't think his good enough..

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Am I the only one who see's Carter as just an honest toiler?

I mean he is a good player, but nothing about him screams test player in my opinion.

Most would have said the same about Fardy before he got his crack in Gold.. I think we don't know till he gets there what they bring..

Status
Not open for further replies.