• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I like your team.
So with this round over, on form and injuries id like to see this team

1.Slipper
2.Moore
3.Kepu
4.Simmons
5.Jones
6.Fardy
7.Hooper
8.Palu
9.Genia
10.Foley
11.Cummins
12.To'omua
13.Kuridrani
14.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15.Folau

16.Sio
17.TPN
18.Alexander
19.Skelton
20.Higgers
21.White
22.McCabe
23.Beale
I like Sio, and Brumbies scrum has gone well, hope he starts in some.
If Burgess was fit I'd pick white and burgess, even more so with no QC (Quade Cooper).
And with that and White starting I'd go To'omua at 10, Lilo at 12 (and back up 10) and you have McCabe on the bench.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Charles falls in the TPN category..we need hookers that can throw straight
Charles had 2 bad throws last week but last night his throws fine the issue with the force lineout is the jumpers allowing the operation to get front spot. Charles is a way better thrower than TPN.

T

Train Without a Station

Charles had 2 bad throws last week but last night his throws fine the issue with the force lineout is the jumpers allowing the operation to get front spot. Charles is a way better thrower than TPN.

Hanson certainly threw himself out of any chance he had for the 3rd hooker spot last night didn't he?

T

Train Without a Station

Only time graham has used the bench well all year. Heartbreaking giving away free kicks for not straight that many times when there was no opposition putting pressure on the throw

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Hanson certainly threw himself out of any chance he had for the 3rd hooker spot last night didn't he?

General comment linked to this one: that there are so many Reds players so obviously down on confidence, conviction, skills and intensity - let alone the many general morale issues prominent within the team - is potentially a bad scene for Link and the 2014 Wallabies.

Makes it much harder for Link to figure out what's just deteriorated Reds' player form that is independent of team status, and what's driven more so by the Reds' appalling season. Makes the risks of choosing Reds players much higher - what if Link is 'loyal' to 2013's Reds players and they badly disappoint in gold as many have in red? Many less Reds players in the 2014 extended Wallabies squad and will the resulting positional and numerical gaps be able to be as well filled from all other franchises for a 23 man starting team, or for injury-driven depth through 30 players?

I'm predicting another very capable AB team this year, and an even better Boks one than 2013's version.

The impacts and consequences of one of the QRU's worst ever Reds' seasons (especially in relation to the 'on paper' talent in the current Reds) will be multiple, and are likely to be significant.

The abysmal failure of the 'grand succession plan' for Head Coach at the Reds so allegedly carefully planned by Link and the QRU could be about to bite him badly in that elevated national role he craved.

Alex

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Good game by Horne. must be worth a serious look now.
Horne did what Horne does - ran nice lines, bumped off tacklers, was punishing in defence and completely ignored the unmarked man outside him when he bumped off the fullback to score. He is phenominal talent but he needs to learn when to hold on and when to let go if he wants to be a test regular.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
I wouldn't have thought that throwing the ball in to the lineout was a particularly difficult task, and it is made much easier now that they play with synthetic balls with "grippy bits" on them, and there is a ball boy with a towel ready to dry the ball and the hookers hands prior to each throw.

Like shooting basketball hoops, throwing lineouts should be practiced and practiced and practiced until precision and accuracy is achieved. There are about 6-8 variations of length, height, trajectory and speed that need to be perfected.

Cheating runt undernourished yappy halfbacks and spineless whistleblowers have removed the "hook the ball from the centreline of a scrum" task from the job description of a Hooker due to the tolerance of crooked feeds to the scrum, so there should be plenty of time at training, and in individual training time for the hookers to practice and perfect the lineout throw.

Despite this, many of our #2's lineout throws are a lottery.

We can not afford to have Squeaky Moore get crocked, because after him there are slim pickings in the lineout throwing department.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Horne did what Horne does - ran nice lines, bumped off tacklers, was punishing in defence and completely ignored the unmarked man outside him when he bumped off the fullback to score. He is phenominal talent but he needs to learn when to hold on and when to let go if he wants to be a test regular.

If you look at that play, the winger had more space outside him than Horne did but there were two cover defenders that would have got to the winger before they made it to the tryline.

There certainly wasn't a clear run to the tryline if Horne passed. Clearly he had a lot of work to do to score himself but I really don't think it was a poor decision not to pass.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
I thought Skelton played himself into squad.seemed at glance to get through some great work and his running was strong...that second bump off was against the Lions captain wasnt it?...any stats gurus gor some numbers on the locks on weekend?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I think Skelton is going well enough to be included in the squad as well. Don't think he will make run-on team but should get a taste of test football this year and then potentially make the word cup squad

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
If you look at that play, the winger had more space outside him than Horne did but there were two cover defenders that would have got to the winger before they made it to the tryline.

There certainly wasn't a clear run to the tryline if Horne passed. Clearly he had a lot of work to do to score himself but I really don't think it was a poor decision not to pass.
Poor old Rob Horne. Pilloried for scoring a good try. If Savea, Speight or Tomane scored that try, I doubt anyone would be bagging them. He ran great lines all night, did offload nicely, tackled well. Bloody good wingers game. Oh well.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Skelton's run metres are particularly impressive for a lock. The backs get bumped off him like rag dolls. He'll be a real asset to the Wallabies in that department. And he gets through similar amounts of defensive and cleanout work to the other candidates (10 tackles, 1 turnover this round). He doesn't appear to be a consistent lineout option though. He's taken 2 all year.

To me, he appears the perfect bench lock. He's going to rip tired defenders apart at the back end. But you need a solid lineout base around him.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I'm a big Skelton fan, but simply put, the only way he gets on the field is if McCalman or Higginbotham is on the field at 8.

IMO Palu is the starting 8, which means Skelton is no chance of starting as you need at least 3 strong jumpers (Jones, Fardy, Simmons).

On the bench he is an option, but only if McCalman or Higginbotham is on for Palu.

At test level, you can't have any less than 3 top line jumpers on the field at once, unless it can leave the line out exposed.

Don't get me wrong, Skelton is playing great, but jumping is a big part of being a lock, so if he can't jump, other combinations have to be there for him to get on the field.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
As it's announced on Thursday it's rampant squad speculation time! This is what I want to see taking into account form and injuries, though I doubt it will resemble this.

Props: Slipper, Sio, Smith, Kepu, Alexander, Longbottom
Hookers: Squeaky, TPN, Charles
Second Row: Simmons, Jones, Carter, Skelton
Back Row: Fardy, Higgers, Hooper (c), Hodgson, Palu, McCalman
Scrum Half: White, Genia, Phipps
Inside Backs: To'omua, Foley, McCabe, Godwin
Outside Backs: Badger, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Kuridrani, Izzy, Beale, Mogg

Yes no Horwill. He was stripped of captaincy last year due to form only made the EOYT because of injury crisis and was thoroughly average. His form has not improved this year. Time to move on, we desperately need to blood new talent in the second row now instead of hoping he magically gets good again in gold.

Edit: Swapped out Horne for Mogg. For now.

Status
Not open for further replies.