• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Link is keeping his cards close to his chest but it appears as though he wants to pick up where he left off last year as far as structure goes so rather than move To'omua in he will just replace Quade with someone who can bring a similar creativity to the game. Beale or Foley will work.
Beale is one of the most supremely talented rugby players this country has produced and it would not surprise at all if Link slots him in at 10 for the first test. People forget that is where he played all of his junior rugby and a good chunk of his senior rugby as well.
It also would not be a surprise to see both Horwill and Simmons start in the pack with Alexander and Slipper in the front row.
We will see minimal changes from the side that played the last few tests on the EOYT. The captaincy is a tough one. Could easily be Horwill as they know each other so well and have been successful in the past.

My guess at Links first side

Alexander
Moore
Sipper
Horwill
Simmons
Fardy
Hooper
Palu

Genia
Beale
Cummins
To'omua
Kuradrani
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Folau

res.
TPN
Sio
Kepu
Jones/Carter
Higgers
White
Foley
McCabe

caymantim

Herbert Moran (7)
Didn't watch tonights game but I would back Link to get the best out of Beale at 10. If want to see his potential at flyhalf, McKenzie is the man to do it. Let's not forget that he was the Aussie schoolboy 10 with Quade cooper outside him.

It's a high risk option but against the French, it's probably a good time to give him a go, especially with To'omua being our best option at 12.

I should clarify that I still think foley should wear the starting 10 jersey, but I would like to see beale take the field at flyhalf at some point during the game

I tend to agree with all points here... the 'style' of winger/outside back selected may allow him to bring in a player like Beale... however would love to see Foley given a crack at international duties... and change up at least one of the wingers to a more elusive/stepping type to bring some variation out wide.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Time's up! The "biscuit tin" team of 2011 is: Elsom, Robinson, Moore, Ma'afu, Sharpe, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Mitchell, Giteau ,Genia, JOC (James O'Connor), Cooper, Pocock, McCalman, Beale, Chisolm, Brown, Slipper, Mumm, S Fainga'a, A Fainga'a, Burgess, Barnes.

So, the six players from Robbie Deans' 2011 22 included in Link's 32 are:
Adam Ashley-Cooper, Kurtley Beale, Will Genia, Ben McCalman, Stephen Moore, and James Slipper!
Good post to look over, if retirement, or injury hadn't impacted the teams, I think the numbers would be greater, thus reflecting on the fame plan and coach.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
People forget that is where he played all of his junior rugby and a good chunk of his senior rugby as well.
Granted a schoolboy sensation but he really struggled early on in his senior rugby career at 10, When he was shifting to fullback for the wallabies is where his career took off and all his best football at senior level has been played. More often then not his brillance is individual - beating players to finish tries, chip kick for himself, popping up how he did to score his last try last night. If you look at the try assists from last night u will find the last pass was delivered almost every time by foley.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Few things
*Tatafu has been practising his line out throws from the looks of things
*Horne pressing for wallaby selection
*Link justified in not picking robinson and Ryan based on scrums
*Palu outplaying higgenbottom
*Beale showing why he shouldnt be 10 for wobs
*Hooper is a freak

Agree with a lot of this. Horne really appears to be in the form of his life.

I did think Palu probably won a points decision against Higgers, but to be honest it was pretty tough to compare their performances when the tahs were going forward for 80% of the game. Higgers work rate was pretty high throughout, Palus wasnt bad either, but he managed to make a bit more impact in the collisions.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I did think Palu probably won a point decision against Higgers, but to be honest it was pretty tough to compare their performances when the tahs were going forward for 80% of the game. Higgers work rate was pretty high throughout, Palus wasnt bad either, but he managed to make a bit more impact in the collisions.

Kinda the point, I think. Palu's cleanouts are very effective, which makes him one of the key reasons that the Waratahs are able to go forward so consistently.

T

Train Without a Station

I did think Palu probably won a point decision against Higgers, but to be honest it was pretty tough to compare their performances when the tahs were going forward for 80% of the game. Higgers work rate was pretty high throughout, Palus wasnt bad either, but he managed to make a bit more impact in the collisions.

Having previously not been a fan of Palu and not prescribed to the view that some have that his value is playing more a game which the go on to almost describe a lock, every game I've watched his success in the collisions and frequency of them is something I've really noticed.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)

I did think Palu probably won a points decision against Higgers, but to be honest it was pretty tough to compare their performances when the tahs were going forward for 80% of the game. Higgers work rate was pretty high throughout, Palus wasnt bad either, but he managed to make a bit more impact in the collisions.
Higgers as he does from time to time let his discipline slip which was dissapointing. I think he is potentially the best 8 in aus and he offers alot at the lineout but Palu seemed to find his early round form of this year, which goes to show he is fitter then he has ever been

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I think Palu is probably the biggest mover in terms of Wallaby selection in the last couple of weeks. I think he'll be firming for Number 8. He's very effective.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Not as effective as early in the season, but still more effective than Higgers. Looks like he will start at 8 in the tests.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The captaincy is a tough one. If the idea is to pick a captain now who can lead the side through to the RWC, that rules out a possible return of Pocock to the captaincy and the starting XV. If Horwill is chosen, that means he is locked into the starting XV. Hooper is young, energetic, and AFAIK, has no record as a captain.

Moore might be the answer, although again I am not sure that he has a captaincy record.

If I were Link, I think I would be taking the easier course of appointing a captain for the series only.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The captaincy is a tough one. If the idea is to pick a captain now who can lead the side through to the RWC, that rules out a possible return of Pocock to the captaincy and the starting XV. If Horwill is chosen, that means he is locked into the starting XV. Hooper is young, energetic, and AFAIK, has no record as a captain.

Moore might be the answer, although again I am not sure that he has a captaincy record.

If I were Link, I think I would be taking the easier course of appointing a captain for the series only.

Reckon that would be a good option for Link.

Link just cannot pick Horwill for a number of reasons already said in this forum.
My ONLY concern of Hooper is that he is very young and with age comes a maturity to make decisions in a calculating and considered way. Am sure Link would prefer a bit of age on the Captain and the maturity that comes with it. - Don't get me wrong - Hooper is an absolutely stand-out player but ???

"OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS DEFEAT YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM"

Suppose we all find out on Monday week in respect of Captaincy and Tuesday for the matchday 23

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
nice to see TPN play so well last night. was solid at set piece and continually got the tahs over the advantage line. Reminded me that when he's on he's a very valuable asset to the team

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
It's funny - I see picking Hooper as captain as one of the easier decisions Link has to make.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It's funny - I see picking Hooper as captain as one of the easier decisions Link has to make.

For the French series, or permanently? How easy would it be to decide now that Pocock will not force his way into the starting XV, because that is what it would mean (assuming a permanent appointment).

Status
Not open for further replies.