• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Hawko, selective watching has been a hallmark of Simmons career. He looks goofy and awkward when he moves so people make the assumption he is ineffective.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In tight, Horwill's work has been very good and his stats reflect that. No one's died as a result of a bone cruncher, but he has moved bodies and made inroads. Simmons has probably been our best lineout exponent. I predict that both of them will start the first test if the French have their best tight five available. If some of them are not available due to Top 14 final commitments then Link may well want to experiment a bit.

Horwill is working his arse off, gets through plenty of work and looks to be giving 100% every time but I just don't see an effectiveness in his collisions. Compare them to say someone like Retallick who always makes an impact in whatever he does. Simmons just needs to cut his dumbshit penalties, how many times has he taken out the jumper in the air?

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Nail - Hammer

Interestingly enough talking with a couple of Kiwi's this morning, they both rate Foley highly. Then one of them laughed and said we would probably start Beale because Australian's dont know what good 10 play is anymore.

I really think there is something in this. The world standard for 10's is Dan Carter. Most games he is very measured. He just leads his team around the field (excellently) and allows those around him to excel. The frequency of him to glide through holes and score tries is much less prominent in his game these days, but it doesn't need to be because he gets the basics so right but is still a threat close to the defensive line.

Not saying we have to ape whatever the kiwis do, but Foley is our option closest to Carter in this regard and we would be foolish not to note the success they have achieved.

No To'omua is, it's just we have no good inside centres..

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not saying we have to ape whatever the kiwis do, but Foley is our option closest to Carter in this regard and we would be foolish not to note the success they have achieved.

Carter!? Nah Foley is a Cruden clone, he has exactly the same skills. The fleet-footed running game (same body shape/size), the offload, the long lateral pass and the limited but accurate kicking game.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
As I type this, I'm looking at an empty 400g butterscotch shortbread biscuit tin!
"Mr Doug's finally cracked", I hear some of you say.
The tin, with it's contents was a "Qantas Wallabies 'One Team 2011', limited edition".
Question:
(Preferably, without going back through the team records), can any members guess how many of Robbie Deans' 22 players pictured on the lid, are in Link's current 32 player squad?
The correct answer, with players' names, will be provided by me later tonight, if not done by one of you, sooner!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm going to say 11.........

Slipper
Moore
TPN
Alexander
Horwill
Simmons
McCalman
Genia
Beale
McCabe
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

I've left out Kepu, Higgers and Simmons..........

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Deans' favourite 22 from 2011 was

Kepu
Moore
Alexander
Vickerman
Horwill
Elsom
Pocock
Samo
Genia
Cooper
Ioane
McCabe
Ashley-Cooper
O'Connor
Beale

Polota-Nau
Slipper
Simmons
McCalman
Burgess
Barnes
Horne

So.. 13?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I thought Deans preferred Fainga'a on the bench over Horne back then?

I'm also torn on Simmons because of Sharpe.........

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I thought Deans preferred Fainga'a on the bench over Horne back then?

I'm also torn on Simmons because of Sharpe...

Pretty much 50/50 same with Simmons/Sharpe. Horne played more in the WC but Fainga'a played more in the Tri Nations

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah 50 50 I agree but Higgers did get games so going with him, besides he is the Rebels Captain. Gotta show the love.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Update: So far Slim 293 and qwerty51 have both named the correct players, but included too many "others"!
I assumed the biscuit tin was produced just after RD's initial 2011 22 was announced.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
OK, then I'll narrow it down to 9:

Slipper
Moore
Alexander
Horwill
McCalman
Genia
Beale
McCabe
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

TPN missed most of the test season through injury, and Simmons was struggling for the bench due to Horwill, Sharpe and Vickerman.........

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I love the 'reasoning' by members with a greater knowledge of Wallaby history than me, given they don't have the biscuit tin in front of them!
This exercise was designed to be a 'brain stimulant' prior to Friday night drinks, and the weekend's activities!

Status
Not open for further replies.