• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
My view is Link can only make the decision based on the information available to him. Pocock's availability/performance level for next years World Cup squad is an unknown.

If we get to next year's mid year tests and Hooper's spot is under pressure (and I would expect that Pocock would have to be clearly outpointing him) then I think Link will take the pragmatic view that that is a good problem to have and he will cross that bridge when he comes to it.

The squad doesn't lack for leadership options, it's just that they all have some different issues attached. Of those, Hooper's age seems by far the least relevant to me. He might not hold the (c) against his name for the Waratahs, but in my view (through a tv screen) his attitude & application screams leadership material. But the central point is that if we have to change leaders again next year I see that as not ideal, but hardly terminal.

Hooper as captain for mine - until Liam Gill takes his place, of course. :)

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I find it hard to picture Hooper as a natural captain - leader on the field for sure, but he doesn't come across as particularly sharp or articulate - those things are important when it comes to referees and journos. Not that we have had many captains that have those characteristics.

As far as Pocock is concerned - I have no doubt he will be a great leader, but it might not be until in the world of business or politics. Strangely it may be that he doesn't relate to players well enough to lead effectively - he is clearly a driven man that has a lot more going on than just rugby.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I find it hard to picture Hooper as a natural captain - leader on the field for sure, but he doesn't come across as particularly sharp or articulate - those things are important when it comes to referees and journos. Not that we have had many captains that have those characteristics.

As far as Pocock is concerned - I have no doubt he will be a great leader, but it might not be until in the world of business or politics. Strangely it may be that he doesn't relate to players well enough to lead effectively - he is clearly a driven man that has a lot more going on than just rugby.
Firstly, he is pretty articulate, from what I've seen. Doesn't just trot out cliches, seems pretty affable, bit of a sense of humour. Certainly no worse than many others around.
Secondly, based on your last sentence bolded, if he was not, why would it matter?

T

Train Without a Station

It seems to be a bit of a view of many that stability in the captaincy leads to success. Realistically success probably enables that stability.

Link shouldn't try and force anything. I think he is strong willed enough to make a change if it's the right change.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Are you sure you're talking about Michael Hooper? I've never heard one person saying he is poor at those qualities in fact he gets high praise for those quite often.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

Agree on your second point, but not necessarily on your first. Everything I've seen with Hooper suggests that he has all the required attributes to be captain. The overwhelming view I've heard across Australian rugby is that he's very highly thought of as a player and a person. It's not like he doesn't have some experience in this area either. Many Wallaby captains have been highly articulate and intelligent men, the most recent one being a good example, but I don't see in Hooper a drop off in either of those things. He may come across as a surfie kid from Manly (and he is I guess), but I don't think he's lacking in grey matter.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Personally I would like Michael Hooper to prove his captaincy ability before he is appointed to the most important and prestigious position in Australian rugby, at this pivotal time in the game's history here. The Wallaby captain, as much as the coach, will be under huge pressure to win, and to win consistently, and to play attractive rugby as well. No pressure, boys.

Has he ever captained a senior team? Has he ever shown that he knows how to manage referees? Or change tactics to rescue, or save, a game?

I am not asking these questions in an attacking sense, but these are questions that Link needs to ask himself, and if he cannot answer them, satisfy himself somehow that the answers do not really matter, or that Hooper has innate qualities that make the question(s) superfluous.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Agree on your second point, but not necessarily on your first. Everything I've seen with Hooper suggests that he has all the required attributes to be captain. The overwhelming view I've heard across Australian rugby is that he's very highly thought of as a player and a person. It's not like he doesn't have some experience in this area either. Many Wallaby captains have been highly articulate and intelligent men, the most recent one being a good example, but I don't see in Hooper a drop off in either of those things. He may come across as a surfie kid from Manly (and he is I guess), but I don't think he's lacking in grey matter.

So when he is asked a question such as 'what do you like about being a captain', and he says 'it is pretty cool to lead the side out and make decisions' - that is being articulate?

Anyway we shall see. I he is as good as you all say he should be captain of the Tahs already.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
So when he is asked a question such as 'what do you like about being a captain', and he says 'it is pretty cool to lead the side out and make decisions' - that is being articulate?

Anyway we shall see. I he is as good as you all say he should be captain of the Tahs already.
I think it was called "Having a laugh". I've watched him in many post-match interviews and previously on the Rugby Club and he has always been thoughtful in what he says.
Whether he is ready to captain a side now, or not, it would seem odd that so many who are partly in the know (multiple journos for example, who get their info from somewhere, plus experienced ex-players who have been leaders) seem to think him a likely candidate at some stage if he did not have the qualities.
Anyway, we'll see in a week or so. If Horwill gets the nod, I doubt there could be many complaints, and maybe it will be the fillip he needs to spark him back to his best form.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

Again, I think he appears (and I stress, appears -- I don't know the bloke) to have the right attributes to lead the team. Out of interest, who would be your captain?

I personally think it will come down to Moore and Hooper, because I think Horwill and Genia have probably had their day leading the team. In Horwill's case I don't think he's an automatic selection any more. He used to be, but not now.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Despite the fairly ordinary performance by the Brumbies yesterday, can anyone still have any doubt about Henry Speight being selected as soon as he becomes eligible?

For France, I can see the backline shaping up as White, Foley, Cummins, To'omua, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Horne, Folau. But after watching the two NZ derbies today, I fear it will be the same old story against the ABs. Can't see the Bledisloe coming back this year.

But I do fancy our chances against the French.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
It'd have to be a joke. The only possible reason I could think of would be to try to extend his playing career after a lot of knee dramas.

T

TOCC

I don't see the front row been any less strenuous on the knees, squats are a staple of any props training regime..

As for Hooper, well it's hard to assess leadership qualities from the couch, I haven't heard enough of Hooper speaking or witnessed his relationship with fellow players to judge his qualities, he is surely a player who leads from the front but appointing a 22yr old as captain of the Wallabies is still a massive call..

If Hooper is appointed ahead of Moore you would really have to wonder what it is about Moore which stops him being placed in captaincy roles.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Again, I think he appears (and I stress, appears -- I don't know the bloke) to have the right attributes to lead the team. Out of interest, who would be your captain?

I personally think it will come down to Moore and Hooper, because I think Horwill and Genia have probably had their day leading the team. In Horwill's case I don't think he's an automatic selection any more. He used to be, but not now.

I really don't know who I'd choose - I would need to know the leadership abilities of the less experienced guys, but my point is we don't just have to limit it to the best player for the sake of it.

Issues with the experienced options:
Horwill - not in form
Moore - suspect there is a very good reason he has never been captain
Genia - needs an attitude adjustment first

Less issues with the less experienced (except not knowing their capabilities):
Fardy
Hooper
To'omua
Slipper

It might be a good option to pick Horwill, and make one Hooper/Fardy/To'omua vice, and take over from Horwill when he leaves the field - sort of an understudy role. I feel if we choose Hooper now it will be hard to take it off him if it doesn't work, whereas Horwill can be told it is based on form or a longer term option coming through.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
It might be a good option to pick Horwill, and make one Hooper/Fardy/To'omua vice, and take over from Horwill when he leaves the field - sort of an understudy role. I feel if we choose Hooper now it will be hard to take it off him if it doesn't work, whereas Horwill can be told it is based on form or a longer term option coming through.

Reds sure like understudies, don't they? Not sure the understudy coach was a roaring success.

Should be Hooper for me, with To'omua the alternative and vc.

Hoolly Doolly

Fred Wood (13)
Im not even considering rwc. i want to take back the bledisloe above all else right now in 2014.
im going to get flamed here but imo hodgo is the form open side in australia/super comp and has proven leadership skills.

Hooper is a great player and a wonderful linkman but is he really the type of open side we need in order to dominate the all blacks? pocock in form is my preffered 7 and hodgo is the closest we have as far as the way they play as 7's.

maybe captaincy is a long stretch but hodgo has to be the starting 7 in the rugby championship imo.

If Hooper gets the nod as captain it will be another one of those bad choices along the lines of elsolm and horwill(when sharpey should have been capo)

If hooper is 7(which by popular demand he will be) then let the guy focus on his game(especially when up against nz and sa) without the extra burden.

Status
Not open for further replies.