• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

To say Hodgson should be starting 7 is blatant provincial bias.

The wallabies need players who are consistently the best, not fleeting moments of top form. Hooper has been consistently the best open side over 3 seasons now, is the reigning john Eales medalist and is currently in great form.

Many force fans will even admit Hodgson started the first few rounds slowly.

Also to say he is the type we need to beat the all blacks is way off base. Hodgson fits in well with the force's defence orientated low possession game plan. We aren't going to beat the all blacks on 35% possession and just tackle them out of the game.

Case closed.

Hoolly Doolly

Fred Wood (13)
Also to say he is the type we need to beat the all blacks is way off base. Hodgson fits in well with the force's defence orientated low possession game plan. We aren't going to beat the all blacks on 35% possession and just tackle them out of the game.

Case closed.

Its a gameplan that may suit us as we are not a team overflowing with attacking talented wallabies players like NSW ....not sure how they manage to fit them under the salary cap.

I never said that "FORCE" gameplan should be introduced to the wallabies system. I just think that the 7 should be rock solid in defense, a pest slowing down and winnning turnovers at the breakdown.
Pocock at the top of his game is my preference and with hodgo on current form fits my profile as my preffered 7 atm.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
For France, I can see the backline shaping up as White, Foley, Cummins, To'omua, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Horne, Folau. But after watching the two NZ derbies today, I fear it will be the same old story against the ABs. Can't see the Bledisloe coming back this year.

But I do fancy our chances against the French.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is listed in the team as a back 3, although there's no reason he can't play in the centres. But it probably does give us a clue as to what Link is thinking so I'd say:
9. White
10. Foley
11. Badger/Horne
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Folau

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Its a gameplan that may suit us as we are not a team overflowing with attacking talented wallabies players like NSW ..not sure how they manage to fit them under the salary cap.

I never said that "FORCE" gameplan should be introduced to the wallabies system. I just think that the 7 should be rock solid in defense, a pest slowing down and winnning turnovers at the breakdown.
Pocock at the top of his game is my preference and with hodgo on current form fits my profile as my proffered 7 atm.

The Wallabies will play an attacking brand of rugby. I think it's widely accepted that the main reason Jake White didn't get the job was the style of rugby he'd want to play.

McKenzie last week said that this season he will be focusing on improving the Wallabies defence, which is great but the Wallabies will still rely on scoring tries to win games. In order to pull that off we need generally attacking minded players. That's one reason I think Link will go with Genia rather than Nick White.

As to whether the Wallabies are better off with a defensively minded pilferer at 7, there was a long debate about this issue in the Pocock v Hooper thread. Personally I have always been of the view that, provided he is fit and in form, Pocock should be our starting 7, but I don't consider Hodgson in Pocock's league in turns of breakdown prowess. Hooper adds an extra dimension to our attack and it would take a really impressive player to bench Hooper. Pocock's the only one good enough to do that (potentially).

For what its worth Hodgson had a cracker last night and he will not look out of place in the Wallabies side, should he be required this year

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Oh Captain! My Captain!

No, this isn't mourning Abraham Lincoln as the original poem does, but this is a list of things I want my captain to do:

1) Lead from the front

2) Automatic selection

3) Smart enough to deal with refs - no pissing or moaning, just ask for clarification and point out the opposition's faults.

4) Show that he'll put his body on the line for, and expect no less from, his team.

Yes, being able to string together a sentence is important as far as press duties go, but a few candidates are ruling themselves out at present through the art of P&M.

Hooper is smart enough and fits the other attributes. I wouldn't say he's a lock for the job, but he certainly is a candidate.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
So a few thoughts from this round.

- most of the wallabies played well this weekend.
- Horne is in great form. Right now I have him neck and neck with McCabe for a bench spot. I'd probably still give it to McCabe for his extra versatility
- TPN outplayed Moore for the first time this season.
- The brumbies are in a bit of a rut at the moment. I thought Kuridrani was still pretty well, he got through a lot of work and was strong in the contact. Spieght looked great, cant wait for him to play for the wobs.
- White didn't have the greatest game and really showed a lack of ability spark the attack when the brumbies needed to chase the game. Form aside that is one area where Genia has another gear.
- Last night the force backrow were great. Cottrell showed he is unlucky to miss out on a wobs spot. He reminds me of a more dynamic version of Richard Brown.
- Just loving what we are seeing from Cummins atm. He doesn't get a lot of opportunities playing for the force, but he takes his limited opportunities and always looks like he's going to make an impact. I love the physicality in his game atm. Last night he was trying to run over his opponents at a million miles an hour. so great. Get that man in the green and gold!
- The Force front row mostly dominated the lions last night. Pek Cowan has really stepped up his game and Longbottom showed that he probably should have been chosen ahead of Ryan.
- I hate to keep harping on about my dislike for Ryan but once again he was shown up at scrum time, and Kepu instantly turned the tides when he came on. That is a good sign Kepu but makes you wonder if Link can turn Ryan into a test quality TH. I was actually more impressed with Alo-emile, who did a good job against a resurgent Benny Robinson. He looks like a great prospect.
- Palu v Higgers v McCalman is close but Palu still makes more impact in the collisions than the other two. Higgers and McCalman are pretty equal. I really think no.8 might depend on who link chooses at lock. He wont play Palu and Skelton at the same time. One will start the other will be on the bench

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
@BDA I noticed the Force forward runners were running from little depth from flat-foot starts too, a Foley trait the Tahs used to have. Contrast the depth and pace of the Tahs forward runners. Higher risk of course. I'd love to see McCalman et al hitting it at speed. Impact would be greater. But that is not Foley's style. The Tahs style is helping runners stand out. I'm sure some Force boys would look as good.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
My guess at Links first side

Alexander
Moore
Sipper
Horwill
Simmons
Fardy
Hooper
Palu

Genia
Beale
Cummins
To'omua
Kuradrani
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Folau

res.
TPN
Sio
Kepu
Jones/Carter
Higgers
White
Foley
McCabe

Do you think Beale can kick for goal in tests? Friday night screams no!

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

...........and let's not forget BIL 1 2013 when on an obviously soft Suncorp surface Beale as back-up kicker chose moulded boots not metal studs.........though I partly blame the then Wallabies coaches for that massive oversight that probably cost the series as it turned out.

T

Train Without a Station

Its a gameplan that may suit us as we are not a team overflowing with attacking talented wallabies players like NSW ..not sure how they manage to fit them under the salary cap.

Pocock at the top of his game is my preference and with hodgo on current form fits my profile as my preffered 7 atm.

I inferred that you were promoting the Force game plan. I actually used the opposite to prove my point. Hodgson suits the Force game plan and will not suit the wallabies game plan.

Indeed a 7 should be rock solid in defence, slow down breakdown ball and win turn overs.

He should also be quick, a link man and great support player.

Hodgson is half of that, Hooper is all of that.

Nothing shows Hodgson is a superior defender. He may have made more tackles but that's a misleading stat. To use that it you should look at hoppers high number of tackles made last season too.

Hooper is also one of the top pilferers in the comp. Hodgson has perhaps 8 more I think it is, based on a game plan that gives more opportunity. Regardless, that's less than 1 a game. To pick an openside because he gets 0.7 more turn overs a game, when the other option is the reigning john Eales medalist and one of the top pilferers in super rugby would be a ludicrous decision.

Hodgson's 8 week purple patch is great, but could it be expected to last to the RWC when he will be pushing 34? I'd doubt it. And that doubt would be due to the fact that he hasn't managed to maintain it for the other 12 or so years of his professional career, where has Hooper pretty much has for his entire career since his Brumbies debut.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)

The wallabies need players who are consistently the best, not fleeting moments of top form. Hooper has been consistently the best open side over 3 seasons now, is the reigning john Eales medalist and is currently in great form.

Case closed.
The fact that Hodgson lead the comp in tackles, pilfers and try's (by a forward) surely shows it is anything but case closed.

I accept that Hooper will likely be chosen as starting 7, but he is in the form of his life and to discount him is to ignore form. He is currently the form 7 in Super Rugby.

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
Gee I would love to see something like this:

1. Scott Sio
  2. Stephen Moore (c)
  3. Ben Alexander
  4. Will Skelton
  5. Rob Simmons
  6. Scott Fardy
  7. Hooper
  8. Palu
  9. White
  10. To'omua
  11. Cummins
  12. Lealiifano
  13. Kuridrani
  14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
  15. Folau
Near misses: Higginbotham, Tomane, Hodgson, Horwill, Jones

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

Case closed.

Really, I am not a Force fan and I would have him as the starting seven. Both he and Hooper are playing great footy but Hodgson is just better at the breakdown and that is where the focus needs to be. This year we have more dynamic ball running options in our back row which is not a luxury we had last year when we needed Hooper who plays that facet exceptionally. Hodgson is better to start when the game is tighter up front and Hooper better to finish when the game opens up more at the back end.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
@BDA I noticed the Force forward runners were running from little depth from flat-foot starts too, a Foley trait the Tahs used to have. Contrast the depth and pace of the Tahs forward runners. Higher risk of course. I'd love to see McCalman et al hitting it at speed. Impact would be greater. But that is not Foley's style. The Tahs style is helping runners stand out. I'm sure some Force boys would look as good.

They do it with a lower center of gravity than the Tahs forwards do.

Neither right or wrong I guess but I doubt the bigger Tah forwards could get that low so compensate with a bigger collision at pace.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Am I taking crazy pills? Are people seriously arguing that we should drop Michael Hooper?

I love Matt Hodgson as much as the next guy, but fuck me Hooper is our reigning JE Medallist, and the only forward (other than Moore) to be reliably good on the biggest stages of international footy.

Not to mention he is in red hot form this year, for a team travelling well that arguably doesn't require his services as much as the Force need Hodgo.

I love the WA guys, but arguing Hodgo over Hooper is lunacy.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
.....and let's not forget BIL 1 2013 when on an obviously soft Suncorp surface Beale as back-up kicker chose moulded boots not metal studs...though I partly blame the then Wallabies coaches for that massive oversight that probably cost the series as it turned out.

Are we really going to blame the coach for the boots a player wears? I would like to think the player is responsible for showing that initiative. At the end of the day it is he who runs in them.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)

Probably a long way from our first choice kicker. I personally would go with Foley but think Link might start Beale. Foley is possibly the better distributor and definitely a better goal kicker right now, although the weekend wasn't great I know.
Didn't really think about the goal kicking. We can't all be selectors.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
They do it with a lower center of gravity than the Tahs forwards do.

Neither right or wrong I guess but I doubt the bigger Tah forwards could get that low so compensate with a bigger collision at pace.
Who has a lower centre of gravity than TPN? ;)
And Skelton IS the centre of gravity!

But seriously, the Force forwards were getting smashed back a bit last night from these flat-foot starts, and the Lions had some insane number of turnovers, no? They did (Hodgson esp) execute some low, driving pick and gos very well. I remember the style with Foley's Tahs, and we retained ball for multiple phases and went nowhere. Except sideways.
I'm not criticising the Force - they are doing what they do really well. I think, however, having some bigger players coming at pace from depth (at times) would be good too. Watch the Kiwi teams, who nearly all do it more than most Aus teams.
Force style is safer, Tahs current style is higher risk / reward. So a bit of both, as you suggest.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Are we really going to blame the coach for the boots a player wears? I would like to think the player is responsible for showing that initiative. At the end of the day it is he who runs in them.

I said 'partly' to blame if you noticed. And, yes, paying attention to every relevant detail pre crucial Test matches is what makes or identifies truly exceptional coaching groups at elite national level. Blind Freddy could see on arriving at Suncorp that night that the pitch was very top soft and slippage would be real issue for all players.

(Btw, this is still a problem with the Suncorp surface; there is clearly something amiss with grass and/or soil type or surface drainage or the applicable turf binding agents commonly used. The surface is very 'mottled' with uneven grassing and easily dislodged even with relatively light movement. Compare and contrast with some of the Kiwi surfaces that get used a lot yet also get way less sun and much more rain that does Suncorp.)

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Probably a long way from our first choice kicker. I personally would go with Foley but think Link might start Beale. Foley is possibly the better distributor and definitely a better goal kicker right now, although the weekend wasn't great I know.
Didn't really think about the goal kicking. We can't all be selectors.

Whatever, goal kicking decides Tests - e.g., see BIL 1 and 2 last year. Who's going to goal kick and how they prepare for the task will surely be a crucial consideration for Link.

Interestingly, QC (Quade Cooper)'s place kicking - though not to a DC or M Steyn level - has really improved in recent periods, so there's kind of a double loss there as To'omua's not a kicker of note, Foley is very erratic and Lilo's had an awful kicking season. Could be the key reason that White runs on at 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.