• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Yeah, that's the AAP/SBS article by god knows who.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/08/18/big-name-wallabies-face-wc-exclusion

The other one is Wayne Smith of the Aus, but it loses it's credibility when he says 'if there are only 4 props'.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...-selection-frame/story-e6frg7o6-1227487513014
I've hated big kev all year thought he played dumb with a chip on his shoulder.... And not played well.. But we lost Carter and Douglas and Simmons and the Wallabies dragged out him again..credit were credit due.. His working hard

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
This is purely out of curiosity because it's a highly unlikely scenario, but if you are carrying 5 props and 3 hookers in your squad, and you lose 2 of either to injury within the 48 hour rule, is there a special exemption made?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I've hated big kev all year thought he played dumb with a chip on his shoulder.. And not played well.. But we lost Carter and Douglas and Simmons and the Wallabies dragged out him again..credit were credit due.. His working hard

He's been doing way more than that. He has been playing above the level of Carter and Douglas is a bit of an unknown.
Horwills last few games have been remarkable considering the tripe he rolled out for the Reds this year. He is a certainty.

If it was my selection I would think that Carter, Douglas and Skelton would be vying for a spot

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I would have thought the lock selections should be easy. Horwill, Simmons, Mumm and Skelton all get selected and Douglas and Carter don't because they're coming off significant injuries and were short on form prior to that.
Common sense right there

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
I would have thought the lock selections should be easy. Horwill, Simmons, Mumm and Skelton all get selected and Douglas and Carter don't because they're coming off significant injuries and were short on form prior to that.

I'd say that's the case in a 17-14 set up. There may still be some temptation to take Douglas in an 18-13, given only really Simmons of that quartet is performing in lineouts.

T

Train Without a Station

I really don't see the temptation to take Douglas. He offers zero versatility and he would be the 2nd back up to the 3 in the 23.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
I really don't see the temptation to take Douglas. He offers zero versatility and he would be the 2nd back up to the 3 in the 23.

It depends how you view Mumm. If he's a backup for Fardy, Douglas is the backup lock. His advantage is in likely being our second best lineout option, which recent form suggests may need reinforcement.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Props - Slipper, Sio,Smith, Kepu, Holmes
Hookers - Moore, TPN, Hanson
Locks - Simmons, Horwill, Douglass, Skelton
Loose - Pocock, Mcalman, Hooper, Fardy, Mumm
Halves - Phipps, Genia, White,
Inside Backs - Toomoa, Giteau, Cooper, Lealiifano
Outside Backs - Kurindrani, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Tomane, Speight, Mitchell.
Full Backs, Folau, Beale.

That is precisely the squad I'd like to see, but I can't imagine Rob Horne not being there, nor Will Skelton. So I am expecting at least two changes, and maybe more depending on what happens with Cliff Palu. Maybe Skelton for Douglas, and Horne for Joe Tomane, but I really think Cliff's days are over.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Douglas just looked well off the pace to me as well. It certainly didn't look like he was a few weeks away from his best and capable of lifting our locking stocks at the RWC.

Considering Horwill played 3 of the 4 tests (I think) it seems highly unlikely that he'd miss out.

It's a better article if you make it sound like he might though. Likewise suggesting that Sam Carter and Taqele Naiyaravoro are other players who are missing out rather than being not particularly close to inclusion.

Will Genia really seems like the only really high profile player who has a realistic chance of missing out.

T

Train Without a Station

It depends how you view Mumm. If he's a backup for Fardy, Douglas is the backup lock. His advantage is in likely being our second best lineout option, which recent form suggests may need reinforcement.

He's played 3 tests. Where has he played for most of them? Lock. I get your point but I think it's more telling in a game where he had 2 locks on the bench, and Pocock was always replacing Palu at half time, Mumm came on at lock.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
He's played 3 tests. Where has he played for most of them? Lock. I get your point but I think it's more telling in a game where he had 2 locks on the bench, and Pocock was always replacing Palu at half time, Mumm came on at lock.

I thought that was strange too but figured they weren't quite sure if Douglas could handle 40 mins yet and just wanted to ease him back.

Realistically I think Douglas is up against Genia and maybe even Lilo for that 31st spot once the 17-13 are selected. Who they go with I guess depends on where they think they need the extra reinforcement in case the first selections don't work out.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The next games I expect both Douglas & Carter playing in is the NRC, they are about 3% chance of being selected in the RWC squad, they will be working to be fit and ready if someone goes down.

Simmons, Mumm, Horwill & Skelton will be the locks

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Leali'ifano's non-selection would be a huge mistake by TGC. Judging by the way our first choice five-eighths are playing some solid talent for the 10/12 spots is desperately needed. Added to that current imbroglio Christian's EXACTLY the sort of solid counter we need for the big boppers who are going to put up against us. On this point I have major misgivings about Giteau, he's considerably smaller than most/all opposing ICs.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Leali'ifano's non-selection would be a huge mistake by TGC. Judging by the way our first choice five-eighths are playing some solid talent for the 10/12 spots is desperately needed. Added to that current imbroglio CHristian's EXACTLY the sort of solid counter we need for the big boppers who are going to put up against us. On this point I have major misgivings about Giteau, he's considerably smaller than most/all opposing ICs.

Lilo is no chance, Gits has his spot

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Leali'ifano's non-selection would be a huge mistake by TGC. Judging by the way our first choice five-eighths are playing some solid talent for the 10/12 spots is desperately needed. Added to that current imbroglio CHristian's EXACTLY the sort of solid counter we need for the big boppers who are going to put up against us. On this point I have major misgivings about Giteau, he's considerably smaller than most/all opposing ICs.

I think that the horse has bolted on that one. It's too late in the piece to be trying to find a new 10 who hasn't played a test this year.

Giteau's defence has been excellent so far. He doesn't make the dominant tackles of To'omua but he makes less defensive misreads. To'omua had a bad one which resulted in Nonu's first try.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Lilo's whole claim to a spot is that he wasn't there to fuck up in the past 4 tests.

Pretty much. The selectors are left with the dilemma of sticking by failing options in the hope of a revival or taking the next cab on the rank. Given the public comments made about Cooper especially, all signs point to the former, most likely to the detriment of the squad. But we'll see what comes out on Friday.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I think Skelton is a liability. I have gone from thinking he is a shoo in to thinking that he just does not keep up. He is spectacular against small blokes in the back line. When the fields are slower and he is running at the English line I'm not so sure. He really was a yard too late at everything this past weekend.

But Cheika will feel that he has invested too much in him to not pick him. Personally based on Horwills improved form I would take him ahead of Skelton.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Not testing Lilo was clearly a mistake but I'm afraid its too late for him. Cheika could start him against the USA but that isn't really a good Test. You really need to start your preferred 10 against Fiji and stick with it, I doubt he would decide to start Lilo and stick with him without having Tested him beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.