• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Our three biggest issues at the moment are the halves pairing, kicking from 10/12 and the lineout.

With Simmons back our lineout should return to being a strength with Simmons, Horwill, Fardy and Pocock as a potential fourth.

The other two I'm not so confident about.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
There are a number of factors in the lineout. In Sydney two of our losses were right in front of me. In one, the throw was good, the jump was right, Fardy got two hands to it, he just knocked it on cold. In the other, a rubbish throw when right over everyone in both packs.
The thing to note is that neither loss occurred because we didn't have enough jumpers, the call was wrong or the AB's beat us to the ball, rather they were our own technical errors. We need to examine why we are getting done before saying this player or that player has to be there.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
As to the halves, I still want the urgency and speed of Phipps, with White as back-up. 10 is the real problem though. Despite being a Tahs fan, I've always thought Cooper was our best option, he has the vision and the skills, but he's not helping me out much here! Perhaps he is, as the Kiwis think, just too fragile between the ears to make it at the very top level. Foley is a good S15 10, but for mine just doesn't make the step to the next level, and his defence has been very ordinary. I guess that leaves To'omua, although I really see him as more a 12, and I think he showed that on Saturday night.

T

Train Without a Station

Froggy you have to consider the AB's beating us to the throw is partially because we don't have enough jumpers. They would have known they had only 2 or max 3 options depending on when it was, to mark up against.

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
Given you need 4 props for every game it's safe to say there will be 5 going.

So for me

Props - Sio, Kepu, Slipper, Holmes and Faulkener
Hookers - Moore, TPN and a third Hansen as TPN could brain himself in the blink of an eye.
In the row - Horwill, Simmons, Mumm, Skelton
Loosies - Pocock, Hooper, Fardy, Higgers, McCalman, Palu.
Nines - Phipps and White
Tens - Cooper, Foley
Inside Centres - Gits and To'omua
Outside Centres - Kuridrani
Wings - AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Mitchell, Horne, Tomane.
Fullbacks Folau, Beale

The most unlikely IMHO is Higgers. I'd scream at him at every opportunity in an attempt to get him to take his head out of his arse and concentrate on establishing himself as a quality test players. So much talent not being used.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
From memory we did a couple of short line outs that worked okay. The ball to Palu at the front worked well. I think a smart, dynamic line out should be able to beat most defences - it just requires accuracy in execution. The two Sydney line out steals were both not dynamic at all and both Wallaby options were marked. I can't recall the Auckland line out losses in detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
England stole 4 lineouts from the French on the weekend.

Wallabies are going to need to sort out their lineouts before the RWC pool matches.

that will surely mean that we're going to have to play three jumpers. On that basis, I'd be starting with Simmons, Horwill and Fardy regardless of who else plays in the pack.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
the reality is that once Simo is back on the paddock, the hooker will just be throwing it to him at least 75% of the time. I reckon you could run a decent line-out with just Simo and Horwill and one other tall bloke

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Giteau at 10 is also still an option has filled in at 10 when johnny Wilkinson injured at Toulon and played some very good games in this position

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Froggy you have to consider the AB's beating us to the throw is partially because we don't have enough jumpers. They would have known they had only 2 or max 3 options depending on when it was, to mark up against.
TWAS, the point I was making was that the problem may not be (and wasn't in the examples I quoted) the AB's beating us to the throw, we fucked up without their help!

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
The last two games have shown that we have serious lineout issues. They may be lessened slightly with the return of Simmons but having only 2-3 legitimate options will be a problem against sides with a decent set piece.

I think Higgers will slip into the squad because of this and because of the lack of other options as far as lineout jumping 6-8s. Some could argue that Dennis should go but he struggled in test rugby previously and is now a lock first. He and Mumm serve a very similar purpose.
Cottrell maybe should have been looked at a little more closely. Ditto Jones.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
Too many comments to go through all of them, so sorry if this has been said already, but watching the Japan-World XV game right now and Lilo looks just like he has not played any rugby since Super Rugby semi.
That game didn't do too much favour for his selection, but I still think he has to be one injury away from the squad, so too JOC (James O'Connor) if a kicking back three player goes down.
Interesting times ahead

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I've seen two different articles this morning with two different 'possible' world cup squads, and differing justifications for each. No doubt we'll see a few more before Friday but at this stage none of them seem to be any better informed than any of us.

T

Train Without a Station

If any include multiple players that haven't been used at all, and don't include players that have played 3 tests so far, I'd say we are better informed than those people though.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
He's assuming a 17-14 split too. That being the case, we already know 15 of them (Horwill included) and the last 2 are Smith vs Faulkner and Palu vs Higgers so Douglas won't make it. If they opt for 18-13, which is just as likely, he's likely to be there.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I just read That Horwills fighting with Carter and Douglas for a plane ticket.the reporter knows shit from clay.

I've given Horwill Heaps but his fit and playing well.. Leaves the others out..

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's the AAP/SBS article by god knows who.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/08/18/big-name-wallabies-face-wc-exclusion

The other one is Wayne Smith of the Aus, but it loses it's credibility when he says 'if there are only 4 props'.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...-selection-frame/story-e6frg7o6-1227487513014

Status
Not open for further replies.