• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
It would be quite surprising if Lilo made it given he hasn't featured in what has been the highly rotated area of 10/12 and bench options.

He might be a bit like Genia in that might work in his favour given all options tried were awful and we haven't found a satisfactory one yet.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
The difference is that Phipps and White have also put in good performances, and Genia has not....

I don't think the same can be said of Cooper and Foley. It's a case of "we had 2 options and they're not working. Do we stick by and hope for a turnaround or take another option?"

I doubt they'll pick Lilo having not played him, but I certainly would, even if it meant leaving behind Cooper.

Genia I'm a bit less convinced about - although the last 2 tests have got me very worried about the current pair ahead of him. Phipps has been decent enough for a while but put in a real shocker last start. White has been inconsistent for a while, and his excellent bench cameo followed by shocker starting raised the same concerns we had before.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't think the same can be said of Cooper and Foley. It's a case of "we had 2 options and they're not working. Do we stick by and hope for a turnaround or take another option?"

I doubt they'll pick Lilo having not played him, but I certainly would, even if it meant leaving behind Cooper.

Genia I'm a bit less convinced about - although the last 2 tests have got me very worried about the current pair ahead of him. Phipps has been decent enough for a while but put in a real shocker last start. White has been inconsistent for a while, and his excellent bench cameo followed by shocker starting raised the same concerns we had before.

Cooper will be fine I reckon. The only concern is against the ABs where you'd be inclined to follow a similar formula to last week where To'omua comes on as an impact sub and you have the forwards muscle up.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Yes I'm going:

9. Phipps
10. Cooper
11. Horne
12. Giteau
13. Kuridrani
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Folau

22. To'omua
23. Beale

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
Problems with the halves are only really appearing when the ball is slow or static. White looked slow because the ball was slow. Phipps looked like he was throwing to no one because he tried to up the tempo without there being the options to allow him to do. Tough to call Genia's performance as poor considering it was the first test of the season and he only got the first half against a good Boks side - plenty of tests are tight in the first half of the game.

I still think 9. Phipps 10. Cooper and 12. To'omua are probably our best inside back options IF we have the forwards working hard to get over the gain line and have quick ball, and we have some options on the inside and outside of Cooper. We won't have any 10 playing flat if those things aren't in place.

Should we not have a plan to go forward and provide quick phases to the blokes outside, Foley or To'omua is probably the best option - maybe To'omua for his size, directness and kicking out of hand. This Wallabies squad isn't anywhere near good enough to win a RWC playing 10 man rugby though - we'd be lucky to get out of the pool.

T

Train Without a Station

Should we not have a plan to go forward and provide quick phases to the blokes outside, Foley or To'omua is probably the best option - maybe To'omua for his size, directness and kicking out of hand.

But again Brendan, in that situation To'omua's directness, like that of all mere mortals, diminishes. And his kicking can give us problematic results at times.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
His kicking wasn't great on the weekend and directly led to two tries. We can't keep giving the pill to our opposition and back our defence to shut it down for 80 minutes. Eventually a good side will punish you for that. MT either needs to kick more effectively or leave it to someone else.

T

Train Without a Station

What I don't think helped is being lumped with the majority of the kicking. QC (Quade Cooper) should have been tasked with taking more too.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
But again Brendan, in that situation To'omua's directness, like that of all mere mortals, diminishes. And his kicking can give us problematic results at times.
Yeah agree, but if the game plan isn't providing those opportunities we're toast anyway so it's all probably academic. I can't see this Wallabies forward pack winning in a game of 10 man footy - they just don't have the skill level with the ball in hand.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely our biggest hindrance to 10 man rugby currently is our general field kicking and our lineout.

Our forwards have generally been decent. On the EOYT they were fine in general play but just sucked at scrumtime.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think the weekends game highlighted how little "rugby" will be played at this RWC.

Contestable, accurate kicks and not playing in your own half will be the successful teams mantra for long periods of each game

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I think the weekends game highlighted how little "rugby" will be played at this RWC.

Contestable, accurate kicks and not playing in your own half will be the successful teams mantra for long periods of each game

So on that basis we cannot be successful.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
Surely our biggest hindrance to 10 man rugby currently is our general field kicking and our lineout.

Our forwards have generally been decent. On the EOYT they were fine in general play but just sucked at scrumtime.
Agree with the kicking, but I don't think we have a pack that can win a war of attrition.

I think the line out will be okay with the right people selected. Of the three lost in Sydney only one was an overthrow - the other two just didn't have enough movement to fool the AB's. Auckland was more personnel related - two good options aren't good enough against the AB's quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.