• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

I don't really get the hate. Are we shocked a bloke that has been injured and hardly played didn't play the house down?

The biggest concern is his inability to play many minutes all year. Makes managing the 23 more difficult when you know a player can't put 80 together.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don't really get the hate. Are we shocked a bloke that has been injured and hardly played didn't play the house down?

The biggest concern is his inability to play many minutes all year. Makes managing the 23 more difficult when you know a player can't put 80 together.

It was exactly the reason why Cheika played Skelton for 80 minutes all year at the Tahs claiming he couldn't justify his selection at test level if he couldn't go the full 80.
He went a different route for Palu.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think his numbers from ForceFan's stats show that he did a fair bit in his time on the field, but it's the limited time we seem to be able to get from him that is problematic. If he was working at that rate for 55-60mins, it would be ideal. 35-40mins not enough, I feel.

I think he went OK initially. You can see by those ruck involvement stats that he drop off pretty heavily after the first 10 minutes. He failed to physically impose himself, as most of the big boys did.
Cheika has been managing him very carefully which would indicate that he will go.
This will be his swan song and its pretty much deserved.
When we come up against the ABs or Ireland then lets please start the Pooper with McCalman on the bench and give Cliff a rest.

Don't get me wrong. I definitely think we need to be playing Hooper and Pocock together as that is our best combination. I think before the game Palu would have been told he had 40 minutes and I thought he did a pretty good job with it.

It's quite an amazing stat that in the 20-30 minute period our forwards only competed at 6 breakdowns and then 12 in the 30-40 minute period.

If we're starting the Pooper then I agree that McCalman is a better bench option as he covers 6 and 8 (although if we switch back to a 5:3 bench then maybe Mumm is the 5th bench forward to cover lock and 6).

If we're going into any more matches with one of Pocock or Hooper starting from the bench then I think there's a good chance we'll see Palu start at 8.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I thought Palu was pretty ho-hum on Saturday and certainly think McCalman would have been more useful to use. However I'd say part of that was a result of his lack of game time. If he's picked in the squad im ok with that. I think a Backrow of Simo/Horwill/Palu/Pooper would be a nice balance that hasn't been trial yet.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I wouldn't say I am surprised at how negative the reaction has been to Cliff Palu's match on Saturday because it is pretty standard fare amongst fans but I think he is being treated reasonably unfairly.

He was our top tackler in the first half and up until Coles' try against the run of play, our pack were certainly on top. I would have had him in our best couple of forwards in the first half.

I was thinking that after seeing ForceFan's ruck involvement stats this morning. He was one of only a few Wallabies forwards who matched the efforts of their opposite number (for the half that he played). The argument with Cliff of course has always been that he appears invisible to us watching on TV because he is in the ruck doing things that we can't see, and that his team-mates always rate him.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I wouldn't say I am surprised at how negative the reaction has been to Cliff Palu's match on Saturday because it is pretty standard fare amongst fans but I think he is being treated reasonably unfairly.

He was our top tackler in the first half and up until Coles' try against the run of play, our pack were certainly on top. I would have had him in our best couple of forwards in the first half.

I'm not, many have always thought he is "a big unit of islander decent, so he must be a big crash balling, monster tackling individual" whereas in reality he is an effective 8 you does a lot of hard, non shiny work that teams need to be done.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
saturday changed my mind on a couple of issues: this would be my logical XV
  1. sio
  2. Moore
  3. Kepu
  4. Horwill
  5. Simmons
  6. Fardy
  7. Hooper
  8. Pocock
  9. Phipps/White
  10. To'omua
  11. Horne
  12. Giteau
  13. Kuridrani
  14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
  15. Folau
  • Slipper
  • Holmes
  • TPN
  • Skelton
  • McCalman
  • see #9
  • Lealifano
  • Tomane
I think Cheika didn't want to play Pooper again against the same team and get shown up, but it will feature heavily I'm sure. Palu can be put to pasture or "pasteur". Cooper wasn't dreadful, he was just a non-event hopefully that little trial is over and the lesson is learnt. Speight' form and recent suspension hardly justify a starting spot at the moment although he is a devastating player when in form. Carn you Wallabies

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think Cheika didn't want to play Pooper again against the same team and get shown up

Hansen said after the first match that the Pooper will only work against sides prepared rugby.

Then in the first half on Saturday, the ABs didn't play much at all. They kicked, chased, pressured and pressured some more. They rope-a-doped us and countered when they got the opportunity

Most of the sides at the RWC are going to do just that as they play safety first "winning" rugby

gold heart

Ted Fahey (11)
Props - Slipper, Sio,Smith, Kepu, Holmes
Hookers - Moore, TPN, Hanson
Locks - Simmons, Horwill, Douglass, Skelton
Loose - Pocock, Mcalman, Hooper, Fardy, Mumm
Halves - Phipps, Genia, White,
Inside Backs - Toomoa, Giteau, Cooper, Lealiifano
Outside Backs - Kurindrani, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Tomane, Speight, Mitchell.
Full Backs, Folau, Beale.

gold heart

Ted Fahey (11)
I thought Palu was pretty ho-hum on Saturday and certainly think McCalman would have been more useful to use. However I'd say part of that was a result of his lack of game time. If he's picked in the squad im ok with that. I think a Backrow of Simo/Horwill/Palu/Pooper would be a nice balance that hasn't been trial yet.

BDA Why not keep fardy instead of palu - three jumpers instead of 2 and also 5 players who are already in form?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think you can pretty much guarantee both Palu and McCalman will go to the RWC.

I'd be surprised if Douglas is taken unless there is something really wrong with Simmons. He'll go to the USA and be waiting in the wings in case we need a replacement.

Our biggest problems lie at 9 and 10. I'd guess that Phipps and Foley will be 9 and 10 in our first RWC test but neither have been convincing, White wasn't good when he started against the All Blacks and Cooper is also struggling. Maybe Genia will be squeezed into the squad just to provide another option but he was average in his one match before requiring surgery and being unavailable for a month or so.

gold heart

Ted Fahey (11)
I think you can pretty much guarantee both Palu and McCalman will go to the RWC.

I'd be surprised if Douglas is taken unless there is something really wrong with Simmons. He'll go to the USA and be waiting in the wings in case we need a replacement.

Our biggest problems lie at 9 and 10. I'd guess that Phipps and Foley will be 9 and 10 in our first RWC test but neither have been convincing, White wasn't good when he started against the All Blacks and Cooper is also struggling. Maybe Genia will be squeezed into the squad just to provide another option but he was average in his one match before requiring surgery and being unavailable for a month or so.

I disagree as far as your 8 selection I think pocock can handle 8 along with McCalman and it frees up an extra lock or back position for the squad by not taking Palu.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Unlike most Aussie rugby fans, I'd think that Cheika would be pretty happy with how Palu played in the first half and it would have confirmed his thinking that he is part of the squad.

He was our leading tackler and was quite physical in the only part of the match where we had any ascendency.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
gold heart: you've also left out Foley who will be in the squad.

I don't see space for both Tomane and Speight, Leali'ifano would seem highly unlikely to make it and I really think we're not going to see three halfbacks.

I also think Horne will be picked.

gold heart

Ted Fahey (11)
gold heart: you've also left out Foley who will be in the squad.

I don't see space for both Tomane and Speight, Leali'ifano would seem highly unlikely to make it and I really think we're not going to see three halfbacks.

I also think Horne will be picked.

Braveheart I know leaving out foley is a bit risky...my thoughts are bringing lealiifano back he gives us more options.... I would be happy to be proved wrong though if foley plays against USA and has a blinder but I understand the squad is announced this friday?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
My guess is something like this will go

Props - Slipper, Sio, Smith, Kepu, Holmes
Hookers - Moore, TPN, Hanson
Locks - Simmons, Horwill, Mumm, Skelton
Loose - Pocock, McCalman, Hooper, Fardy, Palu
Halves - Phipps, Genia, White,
Inside Backs - Foley, Toomoa, Giteau, Cooper,
Outside Backs - Kurindrani, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Tomane, Mitchell, Horne.
Full Backs - Folau, Beale.

But I think Tomane or Horne could miss out for Dennis or Higgers as an actual lineout jumping 6 cover for Fardy, although McCalman has put in shifts at 6 and lock as well

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Braveheart I know leaving out foley is a bit risky.my thoughts are bringing lealiifano back he gives us more options.. I would be happy to be proved wrong though if foley plays against USA and has a blinder but I understand the squad is announced this friday?

All I'm saying is that I think you'll be incorrect and Foley will be picked and Leali'ifano won't be.

The squad is announced this Friday.

But I think Tomane or Horne could miss out for Dennis or Higgers as an actual lineout jumping 6 cover for Fardy, although McCalman has put in shifts at 6 and lock as well

I think Mumm is now that backup to Fardy.

They both may go to the USA but I really doubt Dennis or Higginbotham will be in the RWC squad.

gold heart

Ted Fahey (11)
All I'm saying is that I think you'll be incorrect and Foley will be picked and Leali'ifano won't be.

The squad is announced this Friday.

I have no doubt that you will be right and I will be wrong as Lealiifano has had zero game time for right or wrong ... just my thoughts on who I would prefer

I think Mumm is now that backup to Fardy.

They both may go to the USA but I really doubt Dennis or Higginbotham will be in the RWC squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.