• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Leali'ifano's non-selection would be a huge mistake by TGC. Judging by the way our first choice five-eighths are playing some solid talent for the 10/12 spots is desperately needed. Added to that current imbroglio CHristian's EXACTLY the sort of solid counter we need for the big boppers who are going to put up against us. On this point I have major misgivings about Giteau, he's considerably smaller than most/all opposing ICs.

I had the same concern until last match where he successfully tackled a full pace Savea front on. He's not dominate but he makes his tackles.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Is it possible that the selections last weekend were Chieka completing the cycle of trying out all four 10/12 combos? And that possibly they were predetermined at the start of the TRC, regardless of any results??

Consider this:

v SAF - 10. Cooper 12. Giteau
v ARG - 10. Foley 12. To'omua
v NZ1 - 10. Foley 12. Giteau
v NZ2 - 10. Cooper 12. To'omua

Just a thought.

And possibly he had pre-chosen last week's combo for that game because it was the most proven.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Is it possible that the selections last weekend were Chieka completing the cycle of trying out all four 10/12 combos? And that possibly they were predetermined at the start of the TRC, regardless of any results??

Consider this:

Just a thought.

And possibly he had pre-chosen last week's combo for that game because it was the most proven.

Hard to judge which combo was the best.

v SAF - 10. Cooper 12. Giteau - I'd say a fail but it was Gits' and Coopers first game back and we were dominated at the breakdown most of the match
v ARG - 10. Foley 12. To'omua - To'omua played 5mins before concussion. Foley okay though.
v NZ1 - 10. Foley 12. Giteau - definitely a fail, Foley went missing and we were actually getting quick ball and dominating the breakdown. Gits was solid enough though.
v NZ2 - 10. Cooper 12. To'omua - going backwards all game, few glimpses of nice play from Cooper mixed with a shit load of errors, To'omua horrible.

Not sure where to from here. Looking back Cooper and Gits were probably the best combo (at least they nailed their set-piece opportunity brilliantly). But surely To'omua just had a bad day at the office in his start because his cameos where brilliant.

And Coopers errors last game showed a real lack of composure so Foley would probably sneak in.

But who knows.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
Hard to judge which combo was the best.

v SAF - 10. Cooper 12. Giteau - I'd say a fail but it was Gits' and Coopers first game back and we were dominated at the breakdown most of the match
v ARG - 10. Foley 12. To'omua - To'omua played 5mins before concussion. Foley okay though.
v NZ1 - 10. Foley 12. Giteau - definitely a fail, Foley went missing and we were actually getting quick ball and dominating the breakdown. Gits was solid enough though.
v NZ2 - 10. Cooper 12. To'omua - going backwards all game, few glimpses of nice play from Cooper mixed with a shit load of errors, To'omua horrible.

Not sure where to from here. Looking back Cooper and Gits were probably the best combo (at least they nailed their set-piece opportunity brilliantly). But surely To'omua just had a bad day at the office in his start because his cameos where brilliant.

And Coopers errors last game showed a real lack of composure so Foley would probably sneak in.

But who knows.
I'm yet to rewatch, but I can't recall a lot of Cooper errors. Spilled a high ball where I thought he was taken out in the air by Conrad Smith and deserved a penalty. I saw him slip when gathering a kick. I saw him throw a pass in contact to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) which went over the sideline, and I saw him fuck up a tackle under pressure which ended his night. Were there others of significance?

For all the talk of the dearth of credible options at 10, we're winning more than we're losing at the moment and all the players bring something to the table. Not one of the halves has been as bad as first thought on reflection - the challenge for the Wallabies is still front foot ball to bringing our best attacking players into the game. I think that demands some more clever use of the ball in the forwards and a bit more accuracy on the clean out. The backs have the strike power.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm yet to rewatch, but I can't recall a lot of Cooper errors. Spilled a high ball where I thought he was taken out in the air by Conrad Smith and deserved a penalty. I saw him slip when gathering a kick. I saw him throw a pass in contact to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) which went over the sideline, and I saw him fuck up a tackle under pressure which ended his night. Were there others of significance?

There was a second bad pass which resulted in a turnover from memory.

All in all, it was quite a few errors in 47 minutes.

He did some good things too and his two kicks at goal were both very nice but he certainly wasn't having a strong game prior to his departure. That said, prior to the yellow card he was going a bit better than Foley last week.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Consider this:

Just a thought.

And that Cooper got the 2 most difficult games

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
There was a second bad pass which resulted in a turnover from memory.

All in all, it was quite a few errors in 47 minutes.

He did some good things too and his two kicks at goal were both very nice but he certainly wasn't having a strong game prior to his departure. That said, prior to the yellow card he was going a bit better than Foley last week.
Cooper is taken out by Smith at 03:30
Apart from the tackle and the pass that resulted in a turnover, the other errors were either attacking (chancing his arm) or were cleaned up okay. And to be fair, probably no Wallaby was having a strong game prior to his departure except for making tackles.

T

Train Without a Station

The other error was the high ball he dropped. Espn has a total of 2 turnovers. The high ball and the offload over the sideline.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)

Attachments

• qcdrop.jpg
    qcdrop.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 183

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
To take this discussion a step further, we haven't seen Foley start with a 9 other than Phipps, and QC (Quade Cooper) was paired with Genia first up. So it's not inconceivable that Cheika had already decided if Foley is 10 Phipps will be 9, and if Cooper is 10 Genia will be 9.

I'll bet an Owen Farrell avatar that the intention was to start with Genia at 9 on the weekend. White's selection was based on merit from the previous week.

T

Train Without a Station

This drop?

Brendan not sure. Very early he was taken out in the air and therefore missed the ball. If that's the one somewhere around our 22 then yes. The same one that many are happy to say was under no pressure.

Aussie D

Bob Davidson (42)
There is also the one where he appeared to be blocked from competing for the ball. Also fairly early on IIRR.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

For all the talk of the dearth of credible options at 10, we're winning more than we're losing at the moment and all the players bring something to the table. Not one of the halves has been as bad as first thought on reflection - the challenge for the Wallabies is still front foot ball to bringing our best attacking players into the game. I think that demands some more clever use of the ball in the forwards and a bit more accuracy on the clean out. The backs have the strike power.

I think that's all the errors but that's still too many for only half a game of rugby, but I think your right it is not as bad on second viewing.

I think the real disappointment was Foley's game against the AB's where he went missing-in-action when we actually had good front foot ball and go forward. There are no excuses there.

I would like to see Phipps, Cooper and To'omua/Gits.

Coopers goal-kicking looked good too, which I think is a major plus.

T

Train Without a Station

Another NSW conspiracy. Queenslanders can't even get a look in for teh Sportscraft ad!

Status
Not open for further replies.