• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

I thought if they were able to display that there was reasonable intent that Henry would have played in one of those games then they are able to use them.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I figure with his clean record he'll only get 2 - 4 weeks.............

That should include next week, potentially the final if they make it and maybe 1-2 RC tests or club rugby.

T

TOCC

Thats redundant, like if dont score points you cant win a RWC

No, its really not redundant, lineout's have for years proven to be the biggest source of tries at test level.

Your suggested lineup leaves the Wallabies with only 2 primary line-out jumpers, Australia needs their line-out to be a strength because our scrum isn't.

Heres some stats from the 2011 RWC:
% of TRIES FROM LINEOUT POSSESSION: 36%
% of TRIES FROM SCRUM POSSESSION: 20%
% of TRIES FROM TURNOVER/ERROR:17%
% of TRIES FROM PENALTY/FREE KICKS: 7%
% of TRIES FROM OPPONENTS KICKS: 12%
OTHER: 8%

This can be broken down to own throws and opposition throws:
% OF TRIES FROM OWN LINEOUT POSSESSION: 29%
% OF TRIES FROM OPP LINEOUT POSSESSION: 7%

Finalists statistics:
Lets look at the two finalists and see how they fared:
-New Zealand scored 37% of their tries from line-outs
-France scored scored 31% of their tries from line-outs

Furthermore:
-63% of tries scored were preceded by two or fewer rucks/mauls
-The only try scored in the 2011 RWC GF was a set play off a line-out.
-Australia finished 12th at the 2011 RWC on Own Throw lineout success with 78% accuracy, New Zealand unsurprisingly finished 1st with 92% accuracy.

Scrum
In the 2011 RWC Australia was more likely to win their own ball back on a scrum feed(86%) despite also been ranked 12th in this category.. Again New Zealand unsurprisingly finished 1st with 98% ball success on own feed and 20% on opposition feed.

Overall
56% of 2011 RWC tries were scored off the set piece...
New Zealand actually scored 60% of their tries off the set piece.

New Zealand ranked 1st with tries scored off the lineout: 15
New Zealand ranked 1st with tries conceded off the lineout: 0(the only team to not concede a try from a lineout)

T

TOCC

Great post TOCC. Where do you get your stats?

its a PDF on my computer, but the originator is the IRB, they released a document with a statistical breakdown of the 2011 RWC.. Should be able to find it on the internet somewhere but the original link is dead.

its called 'RWC 2011 Statistical Review and Match Analysis'

T

Train Without a Station

Regardless of Speight's potential suspension, has Tomane edged his way into one wing over Speight this weekend?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Regardless of Speight's potential suspension, has Tomane edged his way into one wing over Speight this weekend?

As good as Speight is, Yes. Tomane's been consistently good in defence and the high ball all season and superb on attack the last 4-5 games.

He's officially on fire. He'd probably just shade Horne on form now too.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So there is a week off between the Super Rugby final and the first test against SA..........

If Speight cops 4 weeks, which should be the maximum with his record, he should only miss the first test.......... although he's likely now lost his spot to Tomane.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
As good as Speight is, Yes. Tomane's been consistently good in defence and the high ball all season and superb on attack the last 4-5 games.

He's officially on fire. He'd probably just shade Horne on form now too.

And that was always the knock against him: his positioning on D. His ability to run and carry the ball was never in doubt, but now that he's got his defence sorted out he should book his place in the squad.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
It will be interesting to see if QC (Quade Cooper) gets the required 60 caps.

His possible strategy of holding off committing to the Reds until the end of the season has been undermined by the QRU wuthdrawing the offer and "pushing" him tp France.

Is Lilo or Matt T to become Foley's understudy ? Interesting stuff ahead

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It will be interesting to see if QC (Quade Cooper) gets the required 60 caps.

His possible strategy of holding off committing to the Reds until the end of the season has been undermined by the QRU wuthdrawing the offer and "pushing" him tp France.

Is Lilo or Matt T to become Foley's understudy ? Interesting stuff ahead

If Cheika thinks he's good enough, he'll pick him. I believe.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So there is a week off between the Super Rugby final and the first test against SA....

If Speight cops 4 weeks, which should be the maximum with his record, he should only miss the first test.... although he's likely now lost his spot to Tomane.

Actually, I don't see Speight & Tomane as having interchangeable roles at test level.

To me, Speight is that blind side crash ball unit, Tomane is the open side 2 fullback unit. Speight out may mean Horne or Naiyaravoro having more chance.

I see Tomane competing with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) & JOC (James O'Connor), and on form ahead of both in terms of threat

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Actually, I don't see Speight & Tomane as having interchangeable roles at test level.

To me, Speight is that blind side crash ball unit, Tomane is the open side 2 fullback unit. Speight out may mean Horne or Naiyaravoro having more chance.

I see Tomane competing with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) & JOC (James O'Connor), and on form ahead of both in terms of threat

How come you see Tomane as a fullback unit? He does not kick often.

I see Tomane and Speight very interchangeable.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
How come you see Tomane as a fullback unit? He does not kick often.

I see Tomane and Speight very interchangeable.

Ahh, in Cheika world "not kicking" is a positive; there is little, to no kicking for a start.

They will run the ball from the back with the plan to only kick once the defensive line is reset; and then not for touch, but for space.

Tomane is pretty effective under the high ball, works hard off the ball to get into a position to support on kick return and has good pace.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
you need three effective jumpers at test level, or two effectives and two workarounds

Simmons, Fardy = 2 excellent jumpers

Skelton, Hooper/Pocock are ok if used smartly. You wouldn't back them to steal any, but a well run lineout should be able to use them.

Especially with Rob 'Cerebrum' Simmons running the show.

We could do better for sure, but winning the breakdown and gaining the advantage line will serve us better, especially in Chekia's style of game.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Think about every Reds vs Waratahs game.

The Waratahs have had good jumpers but been destroyed. Luckily it's super rugby and they were able to make up for it. In test rugby can you give up one of your best pieces of attacking opportunity?

In order to have a strong defensive line out it's important too. The reds had Australia's best line out for stealing throws. They stole 27 line outs. That's because they really had 5 jumping options, with 4 of them all stealing line outs. Thomson stole 9, Horwill 6, Simmons 5 and Schatz 2 of those 27.

I'm not advocating the Reds players here (especially not Schatz) or what they've done. But I'm saying if you want a strong line out in attack and defence, you need multiple quality jumping options.

How did the Reds go this year with this lineout?

T

Train Without a Station

Read the post. If you want a strong line out that's what you need.

By your logic the Reds won in 2011 and Tahs in 2014 with weak scrums. Let's just pick Pek Cowan and Ben Alexander at prop.

Status
Not open for further replies.