• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Sio is the stronger scrummager though...

His power gets him out of poor positions at times but when you come up against the best they flick a switch at scrum time IMO he just isn't quite World Cup ready. By all means thrust him into the Rugby Championship if he survives the Argentines I don't see why not but I think it's better to have experience especially up front.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Breaking News!

My new Wallabies starting XV:

1 Slipper
2 Moore
3 Kepu
4 Simmons
5 Skelton
6 Fardy
7 Pocock
8 Higginbotham
9 Phipps
10 Cooper
11 Joe "David Campese" Tomane
12 To'omua
13 Kuridrani
14 Speight
15 Folau

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
Vaea will anchor the scrum, before the end of the year. Higgers, Palu & McCalman will make way for him as collectively they simply cant match his go forward.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
qwerty is mistaken into thinking people actually consider Vaea a lineout option, and don't rate him for other aspects of his game............

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Why?

Simmons and Fardy are the two best lineout guys in the country, Skelton is more than useable if we play it smart.

The question is, are Vaea's strengths around the field less valuable than a 4th lineout option?

I'd say no...

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't know how you can draw that conclusion in the current Australian set-up. We have 4 franchises with pretty strong scrums that do well at Super level.

We are our history and reputation at test level, it will take a few years of taking our licks and showing actual results for our reputation to become acceptable again

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Why?

Simmons and Fardy are the two best lineout guys in the country, Skelton is more than useable if we play it smart.

The question is, are Vaea's strengths around the field less valuable than a 4th lineout option?

I'd say no.

you need three effective jumpers at test level, or two effectives and two workarounds

T

Train Without a Station

Why?

I'd say no.

Think about every Reds vs Waratahs game.

The Waratahs have had good jumpers but been destroyed. Luckily it's super rugby and they were able to make up for it. In test rugby can you give up one of your best pieces of attacking opportunity?

In order to have a strong defensive line out it's important too. The reds had Australia's best line out for stealing throws. They stole 27 line outs. That's because they really had 5 jumping options, with 4 of them all stealing line outs. Thomson stole 9, Horwill 6, Simmons 5 and Schatz 2 of those 27.

I'm not advocating the Reds players here (especially not Schatz) or what they've done. But I'm saying if you want a strong line out in attack and defence, you need multiple quality jumping options.

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
Think about every Reds vs Waratahs game.

The Waratahs have had good jumpers but been destroyed. Luckily it's super rugby and they were able to make up for it. In test rugby can you give up one of your best pieces of attacking opportunity?

In order to have a strong defensive line out it's important too. The reds had Australia's best line out for stealing throws. They stole 27 line outs. That's because they really had 5 jumping options, with 4 of them all stealing line outs. Thomson stole 9, Horwill 6, Simmons 5 and Schatz 2 of those 27.

I'm not advocating the Reds players here (especially not Schatz) or what they've done. But I'm saying if you want a strong line out in attack and defence, you need multiple quality jumping options.

Perhaps your example conveniently illustrates my point in advocating for Vaea at the back of the scrum.

Yes, the Reds did indeed have the superior lineout, yet it was nullifed by a weak pack that included a litany of test harden players. For all good it did, they were unable to exploit their lineout advantage.

If this format is repeated in the wobs starting pack, especially as your proposing a defensive line out, it may reproduce the same outcome.

Cheikaball is not defense-orientated. And if he is unable to coach out the skeletons of recent wobs rugby (i.e. mental weakness), there wont be a fairy tale end. Therefore, Cheikaball at the wobs, as it has been at the Tahs, must be bold and confronting.

something

Jim Clark (26)
^but despite this the tahs shred the Reds every game? Because they give up some of the line out and are a lot better around the park

T

Train Without a Station

Beefcake, my point was that if you want a strong line out, you need a number of options.

If you go another way, you have you accept the line out will be weakened.

You may be able to overcome it in super rugby but on test rugby defenses tighter. Can you afford to give up 1 or 2 times a game where you have backline on backline over 3/4 of the width of the field?

T

Train Without a Station

^but despite this the tahs shred the Reds every game? Because they give up some of the line out and are a lot better around the park

And the Reds are poorly coached. When they were better coached under McKenzie they dominated the line out and won the games

Status
Not open for further replies.