• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
On the topic of Folau's backup. About a month ago there was reports of a meeting between Cheik and Cooper where Cheika had some sort of offer. This got me thinking this lineup could be a distinct possibility, maybe not starting but definitely towards the back end of games;
9. Phipps
10. Cooper
11. Horne
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. Folau
15. Foley
Foley has played 15 before, adds another boot to back 3 and allows a bit more flexibility in centre selections (Kerevi/TK 12) if thats what cheika is looking for.

I rated Foley as a better fullback than 10. He was close to the form super xv fullback at the Tahs.

BUT I'm not sure what his high-ball skills are like but I doubt they are very strong. Given the high ball was a consistently effective weapon used against us prior to the arrival of Folau then I wouldn't be considering anyone who isn't at least decent in this area.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
I have seen Foley fielding high balls in S15 but at test level it would make a certain liability as he gives 10-15cm in height for most opposition main chasers
North, Cuthbert, Johnny May, Anthony Watson and those just in the pool matches against England and Wales

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I avoid watching the force play if I can, so I haven't seen him much this year, but this kid has been on the wobblies radar for 3+ years, made last year's tour and suddenly he's gone.
I have seen absolutely nothing to justify Hunt's selection in the Reds train on squad let alone the Wobblies but I suspect he'll be on a plane to Europe come August/September.
There's a lesson in godwin's fall from grace for young blokes: sometimes you have to wait for the right opportunity.

I think he was possibly on Deans' and Link's radar but clearly not Cheika's. Don't forget that Cheika inherited the pre-selected EOYT squad, and he and Tom English were the only 2 players that didn't get a run. It's probably no coincidence that neither of those are in this current squad. English has had a fair year but Godwin has certainly made no impact at 13.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Charles has really fallen away...........

Aside from the four mentioned above I'd probably take Latu and Mann-Rea ahead of him.

He needs to cut out the dirty stuff off the ball and focus on playing rugby.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think he was possibly on Deans' and Link's radar but clearly not Cheika's. Don't forget that Cheika inherited the pre-selected EOYT squad, and he and Tom English were the only 2 players that didn't get a run. It's probably no coincidence that neither of those are in this current squad. English has had a fair year but Godwin has certainly made no impact at 13.

good point - godwin wasnt added later was he?

T

Train Without a Station

I like foley at 15. Really makes use of his strong running and support game well. I'd rather him at 15, Folau on the wing then JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing and Folau at 15 for example

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Regardless of how much promise Godwin is (or was) considered to have, he's shown absolutely nothing this year to warant consideration for higher selection. The ball's in his court, not his coach's. Foley hasn't coached him not to try to beat a man occasionally. Godwin shows about as much penetration as I would at a supermodels' party.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
With Moore and TPN fit, they'll always be first picked.

Then you have Fainga’a's EOYT performances, and the very good form of Hanson and you have the 4 hookers needed in an extended squad.

Though liking your post I'd probably take Latu over Fainga'a. He has been a regular starter all year and played nearly all the minutes in those games when TPN has been out.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I agree with this. Foley V Cooper and probably back row combinations, I'd say the tight five would be fairly obvious at the moment with little changes.

1-5 - settled combo Slipper, Moore, Kepu, Simmons, Skelton
6-8 - needs experimentation
9. Phipps locked down
10. Cooper V Foley (maybe V Lilo)
11, 14 - can experiment
12. 13 settled combo - To'omua/Kuridrani
15. Locked down

Only a little experimentation required. Cooper V Foley and the backrow the big ones. Wingers too with so many options. Everything else seems settled.

Is Skelton really part of the "settled" tight 5. Seems Chieka was still experimenting somewhat.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Though liking your post I'd probably take Latu over Fainga'a. He has been a regular starter all year and played nearly all the minutes in those games when TPN has been out.

I think Latu has been good, but I'd say your probably unconsciously favouring your Tah player a bit. No doubt he's had a good season and looks like a potential future wallaby. However he's been playing in a fairly dominant pack and has been reaping the benefits without completely standing out. The big thing working against him is lack of experience. Fainga'a is a seasoned test player and is coming off some pretty impressive test performances in 2015. If anything i think Latu have to display Hanson. Again Hanson has more experience and his form has been as good, if not better than Latu.

Tough on Latu to miss out, but it's not ideal to be blooding tight 5 players at a world cup, particularly hookers, who are crucial to a team's performance. History would rule against it. Then again there is one exception. BDP had only played 2 tests when he was picked in the 2007 world cup squad, and ended up playing off the bench in the final. However, even he was originally left out of the squad and only came in due to a late injury. Plus he's a freak.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Is Skelton really part of the "settled" tight 5. Seems Chieka was still experimenting somewhat.

This is a fair point. If you look at the public opinion on this forum you'd say that the tight 5 is fairly unanimous, but we still don't know what Cheika has planned. I think the fact that Cheika has really invested a hell of a lot of time into developing Skelton this season as an 80 minute lock is a good indication that he wants him starting. Plus you'd have to be blind not to see the impact he has on the tahs' pack. Provided he holds up in the scrum id say he's a lock (pun intended)

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
no he was an original tourist, I think KB (Kurtley Beale) was the only late addition once he was 'cleared'..

KB (Kurtley Beale) was a late addition, ie part way through the tour, even though there were no injuries in the backs. Jake Schatz was a forwards replacement who joined the tour at the same time. These two were definitely Cheika picks and although neither would justify a spot at the RWC, I somehow suspect they will be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.