• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Small rotations agree, but one of the key objectives of TRC 2015 will be to nail down our best combinations across the park. We'll need some serious game time for a few blokes, as well as time to bed down Cheika's style. I'm hoping that by the end of the tournament it will be fairly obvious what our best line up is. Fortunately, I reckon at least two thirds of it is more or less set in concrete (fitness permitting).

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I actually disagree. I think we can afford to rotate ONE player per game. Especially in those positions where the starters and 2nd choice are so close. One player won't disrupt team combinations and game structure - if Cheika does his job at getting everyone on the same page. I'd argue if one rotation does disrupt team structures that much then we have already lost through poor coaching and strategy.

Is there really a need for say Slipper to start every test this RC when you got a player of Sio's calibre behind him? Especially when some posters are arguing Sio should be first choice. Same with Pocock/Hooper and many more.

I certainly wouldn't be making more then 1-2 changes per game but I think small rotations will be valuable.

Oh one or two, yeah, according to injury management etc, eg Slipper to make sure he's not broken come WC.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I don't have a problem with some of the key people like Slipper, Moore and Kepu being rested at some point. But more importantly, I think, is the need for the Nos 9 and 10 to be tried out in different combinations with decent game time for all. We know the incumbent combination and likely starters in the big games, but it will be crucial to see how White and Genia can combine with Foley and how Phipps and White can combine with Quade playing to Cheika's game plan. Probably also worth seeing how To'omua fits in at 10 in case he's needed to play there at some stage during the RWC.

I am very nervous about Izzy coming down with injury. Foley and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) might need to be given some time at the back as well.

Otherwise, I'm sure Cheika has a pretty good idea of how some of the back up players will fit into his plans. He will be very aware of what Hooper and Pocock bring to the game and therefore of when to use them. Same for the back row generally I would have thought.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I don't have a problem with some of the key people like Slipper, Moore and Kepu being rested at some point. But more importantly, I think, is the need for the Nos 9 and 10 to be tried out in different combinations with decent game time for all. We know the incumbent combination and likely starters in the big games, but it will be crucial to see how White and Genia can combine with Foley and how Phipps and White can combine with Quade playing to Cheika's game plan. Probably also worth seeing how To'omua fits in at 10 in case he's needed to play there at some stage during the RWC.

I am very nervous about Izzy coming down with injury. Foley and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) might need to be given some time at the back as well.

Otherwise, I'm sure Cheika has a pretty good idea of how some of the back up players will fit into his plans. He will be very aware of what Hooper and Pocock bring to the game and therefore of when to use them. Same for the back row generally I would have thought.
Like it or not, but I suspect the back-up player for 15 is neither of those. Not commenting on whether it is right, just saying what I think will be the case.
260px-Beale_Street.jpg

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Went to the game in Sydney vs Samoa the other year when we 'rested' people, not fond memories. Do what you have to do to find the best 15, then stick with it come.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Rest vs rest. That team was missing a huge chunk of the eventual squad. Far as I can remember, through injury and reds duty, Slipper, Robinson, TPN, S. Fainga’a, Simmons, Horwill, Vickerman, Higgenbotham, Genia, Burgess, Cooper, Barnes, A. Fainga’a, and Mitchell were all missing.

There might have been more, but I don't remember. That's an absolutely massive group of players.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
The new caps will be coming off the bench I would think for the most part.
Then there is the 9-10 axis to sort out, the second and back rows and the wingers.
Cheika is going to have to have a look at some of the new blokes as well. PAE, Coleman, Arnold, Hunt etc if they make the squad.

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
Went to the game in Sydney vs Samoa the other year when we 'rested' people, not fond memories. Do what you have to do to find the best 15, then stick with it come.

Hahaha it was a beautiful day from what I remember :)

The 15 who takes the field should be balanced, that takes account for players who need resting for RWC and those who need to blooded into the test arena.. a few posts back summed it up nicely, you want to be playing ur best footy when it counts the most...

Wouldn't be surprised if KB (Kurtley Beale) spends time in the fly and predict Vaea at 8 #cheikaball

Westie

Sydney Middleton (9)
OH my god, spare us yet another commentator with the mistaken idea that his commentary IS the entertainment!

They have got it all arse-backwards, their job is to be 'interested', NOT 'be interesting'.

Sadly we've already got the likes of Maloney et al commentating, do we need yet another bozo behind the mic?

Sure, when being interviewed be as interesting/entertaining as you like, you ARE the focus of interest in that situation.

They make the mistake and think people are interested in them continuing that whilst commentating on the game. Got news for you, we ain't.

Bring back the Ritchie Benaud style of commentary. The less the better.

FAR better.

I reckon badger would be an improvement over Kearns and horan

Westie

Sydney Middleton (9)
Sio has gone pretty well since return but so has Robinson. Would be a certainty that Slipper Moore and Keps are the starters.

Chek MIGHT go with the Old Dog instead of Sio at LHP and another one, being Holmes as reserve THP. Chuck TPN in there and all 6 guys have plenty of experience.
The Sio/Robinson nattle will get played out in the Super finals.. Have a sentimental spot for Robinson as he has been at the forefront of Aussie rugby for quite a while and still hasn't played in a World Cup - maybe Chek has some sentimentality in him too - we'll see:)

Sentimentality is for grandma's, manboobs is behind SIO.

Westie

Sydney Middleton (9)
Slipper's injury situation is definitely a concern. He's come off injured fairly early in a bunch of games this year and it has already been suggested he needs surgery at the end of the year.

That's a long road ahead to be playing injured. He'll need to be managed very carefully and hopefully he's up to it. It definitely seemed like the Reds scrum dominance dwindled after the first couple of scrums. It's an issue if he's only the best LHP for the first half an hour and then tails off a bit before needing to be replaced.

Most people have been suggesting that the 5th RWC prop will either be a THP or able to play both sides and that certainly makes sense. It could throw a spanner in selections however if there's concern that Slipper isn't quite right.

Sio needs to remain healthy now. He's already had a long injury layoff this year and has had his test experience severely limited by injury in both the last two years.

Sio may start.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I actually disagree. I think we can afford to rotate ONE player per game. Especially in those positions where the starters and 2nd choice are so close. One player won't disrupt team combinations and game structure - if Cheika does his job at getting everyone on the same page. I'd argue if one rotation does disrupt team structures that much then we have already lost through poor coaching and strategy.

Is there really a need for say Slipper to start every test this RC when you got a player of Sio's calibre behind him? Especially when some posters are arguing Sio should be first choice. Same with Pocock/Hooper and many more.

I certainly wouldn't be making more then 1-2 changes per game but I think small rotations will be valuable.

I'm not a fan of rotation in the way the way it was used by the cricket team.
I like picking the best team to execute the game plan and if that means the team changes a little bit because one player may execute it better - your above examples are spot on. Another one, i think pairing Hooper / Palu or Poey / Higgers also works - I wouldnt select Hooper / Higgers or Poey / Palu, so it isn't isolated to player it is team structure.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Small rotations agree, but one of the key objectives of TRC 2015 will be to nail down our best combinations across the park. We'll need some serious game time for a few blokes, as well as time to bed down Cheika's style. I'm hoping that by the end of the tournament it will be fairly obvious what our best line up is. Fortunately, I reckon at least two thirds of it is more or less set in concrete (fitness permitting).

I agree with this. Foley V Cooper and probably back row combinations, I'd say the tight five would be fairly obvious at the moment with little changes.

1-5 - settled combo Slipper, Moore, Kepu, Simmons, Skelton
6-8 - needs experimentation
9. Phipps locked down
10. Cooper V Foley (maybe V Lilo)
11, 14 - can experiment
12. 13 settled combo - To'omua/Kuridrani
15. Locked down

Only a little experimentation required. Cooper V Foley and the backrow the big ones. Wingers too with so many options. Everything else seems settled.

Status
Not open for further replies.