• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The first test is two weeks after the Super Rugby final and the squad will be reduced to 35 prior to that test.

I don't see us playing a test or two excluding the majority of the regular team.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
It was the talk about player welfare that got me thinking about it. Using Hooper or Fardy as examples, if either of their teams make the Super final and they get picked in every test thereafter they arent going to have a break. 2 weeks is nothing over the season.

It's unlikely that they'd rest every player, I concede that.

Personally I think the the best available team should be picked for each and every test but it's a pretty demanding schedule for that these days and the RWC is more important than the TRC (never the Bledisloe though!) and a few token caps could be excused this year to give some key players a break leading into it.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NZ by 100.

I'd be very surprised if the Tahs or Brumbies were rested en masse for a Rugby Championship game.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I don't think Cheika has the luxury of resting too many blokes in TRC, basically because he's still trying to find his best side and the playing style they'll be taking into the RWC.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I agree with everyone in principle and I'm probably just overthinking whilst housebound on this wet and miserable day!

All will be revealed in due course.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The best player welfare option we have is to win a couple of games against decent opposition and build some confidence and trust in the systems, we need to play the best team we have

I think that's where we are at, yep. Play our best starting XV and rotate some guys through bench.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I think the idea is to use these games to build combinations and winning culture within the extended group. Therefore pick the best side available. However the bench needs to be well used to give those players valuable time within the group

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Pick the best side? or rest players?

Some players are easily rotatable.

Higgers / McCalman / Fardy
Pocock and Hooper
Slipper and Sio
Holmes and Kepu
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Kuridrani

The halves combo should remain fairly unchanged, along with To'omua and Simmons would probably cause the most disruption.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Pick the best side? or rest players?

Some players are easily rotatable.

Higgers / McCalman / Fardy
Pocock and Hooper
Slipper and Sio
Holmes and Kepu
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Kuridrani

The halves combo should remain fairly unchanged, along with To'omua and Simmons would probably cause the most disruption.

AND TPN and Moore
and chuck in Palu as well.
Probably some wingers might be the go also.

Personally I advocate the best side all the time (and use the bench properly) unless we are playing absolute minnows

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Jesus people, no rotation!!!!

Priority number bloody one, is to get our best 15 out on that field, and win.

Then do it again and win again.

It's only four games ffs, winning momentum and gelling combinations together is, by the distance from here to the Andromeda galaxy, the most important thing.

Rest our big names against the easy pool teams at the WC.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I've just had another look at the train-on squad that was announced on Sunday for the TRC and I'm actually wondering if the current thinking is to rest Waratahs & Brumbies players from the first 2 games of the TRC, but bring them back into contention if they get knocked out of the comp before the final. It could also explain why the 3 O/S players were left out for now, no need to bring them back unless they are needed.

So let's just assume for a sec everything goes right for the Brumbes & Tahs and they both play in the final and their players are rested from the first 2 games. Lets also rest Slipper and McCalman, and lets call in the 3 O/S players. From the squad named (as an example) you could field the following:

1. Holmes
2. Fainga'a
3. Faulkner
4. Horwill
5. Simmons
6. McMahon
7. Gill
8. Higginbotham
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Cummins
12. Giteau
13. Kerevi
14. Mitchell
15. O'Connor

16. Hansen
17. PAE
18. T Smith
19. Coleman
20. Jones
21. G Smith
22. White *
23. Hunt

* White included as a 9 is needed for the bench.

It's highly unlikely that both the Brumbies and Tahs will make the final of course, but this team is a 'worst case' for the first 2 games. The only new cap for the run on 15 there is Kerevi whose likely to play for Aus in the future anway, and off the bench PAE, T Smith, Coleman and Hunt could get caps.

You want to play THAT, against the Jaarpies? o_O

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Seriously, you give some of you blokes an inch and you take a mile! It's a hypothesis, not a personal preference, which I subsequently clearly retracted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Seriously, you give some of you blokes an inch and you take a mile! It's a hypothesis, not a personal preference, which I subsequently clearly retracted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DAXgavD.jpg

Indeed.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Jesus people, no rotation!!!!

Priority number bloody one, is to get our best 15 out on that field, and win.

Then do it again and win again.

It's only four games ffs, winning momentum and gelling combinations together is, by the distance from here to the Andromeda galaxy, the most important thing.

Rest our big names against the easy pool teams at the WC.

I actually disagree. I think we can afford to rotate ONE player per game. Especially in those positions where the starters and 2nd choice are so close. One player won't disrupt team combinations and game structure - if Cheika does his job at getting everyone on the same page. I'd argue if one rotation does disrupt team structures that much then we have already lost through poor coaching and strategy.

Is there really a need for say Slipper to start every test this RC when you got a player of Sio's calibre behind him? Especially when some posters are arguing Sio should be first choice. Same with Pocock/Hooper and many more.

I certainly wouldn't be making more then 1-2 changes per game but I think small rotations will be valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.