• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Slipper's injury situation is definitely a concern. He's come off injured fairly early in a bunch of games this year and it has already been suggested he needs surgery at the end of the year.

That's a long road ahead to be playing injured. He'll need to be managed very carefully and hopefully he's up to it. It definitely seemed like the Reds scrum dominance dwindled after the first couple of scrums. It's an issue if he's only the best LHP for the first half an hour and then tails off a bit before needing to be replaced.

Most people have been suggesting that the 5th RWC prop will either be a THP or able to play both sides and that certainly makes sense. It could throw a spanner in selections however if there's concern that Slipper isn't quite right.

Sio needs to remain healthy now. He's already had a long injury layoff this year and has had his test experience severely limited by injury in both the last two years.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Even though I'm an old forward, this tight head v loose head argument confuses me, particularly as many seem to play one side for their super team and then the other side for their national team! Further, I've never met a prop that can't play both sides. And they all tell me that tight head is much easier to play than loose head..

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Slipper's injury situation is definitely a concern. He's come off injured fairly early in a bunch of games this year and it has already been suggested he needs surgery at the end of the year.

That's a long road ahead to be playing injured. He'll need to be managed very carefully and hopefully he's up to it. It definitely seemed like the Reds scrum dominance dwindled after the first couple of scrums. It's an issue if he's only the best LHP for the first half an hour and then tails off a bit before needing to be replaced.

I am sure he is fine with a weeks rest. To be fair to Slipper they have been different things. The bloke doesn't stop running around the paddock after being solid as a rock in scrums and lineouts so the miles he does is quite incredible. The amount of times he has been there for a covering tackle blows my mind. If we get 50 minutes out of any prop who does all that I think that is a lot better than 50 minutes out of number 8 which is all Palu will give you at that level.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
There's zero chance Robinson will play over Sio

Robinson's body is really a disgrace he is overweight even for a Fat Cat. If he fixed that up he would be a real contender however he just isn't fit enough. Plus he isn't scrummaging better than other props out there.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He's clearly not fine though. He's only delaying surgery due to the test season and the RWC.

My worry is that the rugby is going to get harder, not easier and our scrummaging struggles at the best of times, let alone when we have a prop playing injured.

We need him and I think he'll be our starting LHP at the RWC but I think he needs to be carefully managed to make it there in a decent condition.

T

Train Without a Station

Yeah I agree. The Reds management of Slipper has been terrible. How many games has he gone off injured? Yet he has still started every single game hasn't he? He's not 100%

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Even though I'm an old forward, this tight head v loose head argument confuses me, particularly as many seem to play one side for their super team and then the other side for their national team! Further, I've never met a prop that can't play both sides. And they all tell me that tight head is much easier to play than loose head..

Hey, nice to meet you. I can't play both sides. I'm a loose head* through and through. Can't play tighthead because I'm not nearly large enough. My much more elegant and slender body means I stick to loose where I can rely on technical skill rather than beef.

*aspirational lock also.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
So in general, LHP is more about technique and THP is more about being big? BTW, I wasn't doubting the validity of the argument, only that it confuses me.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
So in general, LHP is more about technique and THP is more about being big? BTW, I wasn't doubting the validity of the argument, only that it confuses me.

Well obviously this only applies to me, but I find that at tight head you have both shoulders to push on, so as you say technique is less of an issue, you can just concentrate all your effort on pushing.

Whereas at loose head, all your power is being channeled through one shoulder, so it's a lot easier to accidentally/inadvertently bore in or spin. So you have to obviously push with as much power as possible, but at the same time make sure you keep yourself (and in turn the scrum) straight.

So yeah, you summarised it pretty well already.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Robinson's body is really a disgrace he is overweight even for a Fat Cat. If he fixed that up he would be a real contender however he just isn't fit enough.

Sorry can't let this one go unchecked. This is bullshit, pure and simple.

If you meet the bloke in real life you realise he barely has an ounce of fat on him.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Robinson's body is really a disgrace he is overweight even for a Fat Cat. If he fixed that up he would be a real contender however he just isn't fit enough. Plus he isn't scrummaging better than other props out there.

Disagree, fatcat is playing long minutes each game, he is much fitter this year

THE one rule when you train with Mark Carroll is everyone has to fight the boss. Turn up for an hour of power at Spudd’s gym in Wooloomooloo and word is you’d better be ready for one-on-one time with the former Kangaroos enforcer................................................................................. It began when prop Benn Robinson sought out Carroll for extra sessions earlier this year and now a small group including regulars like Will Skelton and Tala Gray have a regular Wednesday “blow out”.http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...hs-title-defence/story-fnlhav6i-1227299103247

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
For comparison:
Benn Robinson 16 games, 1124 minutes (70 minutes per game), 101 tackles @ 91.8%
James Slipper 16 games, 929 minutes (58 minutes per game), 110 tackles @ 90.2%
Toby Smith 15 games, 1040 minutes (69 minutes per game), 91 @ 78.4%
Scott Sio 11 games, 707 minutes (64 minutes per game), 60 tackles @ 89.6%

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Great stats. Any way to compare effectiveness at scrum time?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Great stats. Any way to compare effectiveness at scrum time?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I reckon it would be hard. Scrums won or lost, or even collapsed can be down to too many variables. Unless you coded multiple games and looked at how often a prop went down or got popped / shunted, but even then, there are too many things to take into account. Unfortunately, from a stat-geek POV, it just has to be whole-scrum effectiveness.

Aussie D

Desmond Connor (43)
Hang on a second gents (and ladies). This is an AUSTRALIAN rugby site. We are not allowed to talk about the merits of props. It is supposed to be about which 5/8, centre or wing we should have in the extended squad. All this talk about props and work rate (whilst making an old prop like me smile) is for foreign rugby sites. Geez, blokes like Spiro and the spin-it-wide brigade would be having kittens if they knew what is being discussed on this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.