• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Has Kyle Godwin has been coached out of Wallaby contention by the M Foley strangulation theory of rugby?

he's clearly not rated by Cheika. Didn't give him a run on the Spring tour last year and picked behind Karmichael Hunt this year.

Provincial coaching a big factor in his form indeed.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I don't think he's just got Foley to blame. His form this year has been nowhere close to last year and the game plan hasn't exactly changed.

He's one of several key Force players who didn't have the impact this year that they had last year and the results suffered.

I avoid watching the force play if I can, so I haven't seen him much this year, but this kid has been on the wobblies radar for 3+ years, made last year's tour and suddenly he's gone.
I have seen absolutely nothing to justify Hunt's selection in the Reds train on squad let alone the Wobblies but I suspect he'll be on a plane to Europe come August/September.
There's a lesson in godwin's fall from grace for young blokes: sometimes you have to wait for the right opportunity.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
I avoid watching the force play if I can, so I haven't seen him much this year, but this kid has been on the wobblies radar for 3+ years, made last year's tour and suddenly he's gone.
I have seen absolutely nothing to justify Hunt's selection in the Reds train on squad let alone the Wobblies but I suspect he'll be on a plane to Europe come August/September.
There's a lesson in godwin's fall from grace for young blokes: sometimes you have to wait for the right opportunity.

I think the lesson is that even if you are good when you're young, nothing is guaranteed. I think often young guys figure that if they've gotten to where they are when they're young, they'll have another shot at it. That's not always the case. It's the same way that young players making finals don't always realise just how special the opportunity is.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Even in a poor coaching team you'd think a quality player would have at least 1 or 2 moments of brilliance in the entire season. Did Godwin even manage that? I don't think so.

Last year was quiet too and was lucky to make the extended wallabies squad. So that's 2 years in a row of average performances.

Maybe Foley is to blame, either way Godwin is becoming consistently average.

Hunt had his moments at least. So i don't mind seeing him in the training squad. Different story if it was the actual squad.

T

Train Without a Station

I think the lesson is play a position that the selectors need, not one with plenty of form opposition.

You cite Hunt as a possible inclusion IS. You think this is because just about every team as midfielders putting their hand up yet nobody knows who would replace Folau at 15?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I don't think he's just got Foley to blame. His form this year has been nowhere close to last year and the game plan hasn't exactly changed.

He's one of several key Force players who didn't have the impact this year that they had last year and the results suffered.

Well last year he was pretty average too. He defended well but certainly didn't have the same affect on attack as the previous year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Hunt is certainly lucky to make the squad and has absolutely made it on perceived potential etc. but I think that also makes it a fruitless task comparing every player who has missed out against him.

If you compare Godwin in 2015 against his past form it doesn't shape up well. He was on the fringe of the EOYT squad last year and has gone backwards from there. Hopefully he turns that around next year.

Godwin has shown in 2015 that he isn't really a good option at 13 and should probably just stay at 12. Realistically I think Kerevi has been included in the squad in his spot and that is who Godwin missed out to.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think the lesson is play a position that the selectors need, not one with plenty of form opposition.

You cite Hunt as a possible inclusion IS. You think this is because just about every team as midfielders putting their hand up yet nobody knows who would replace Folau at 15?

I actually think Dane Haylett-Petty missing out is worse then Godwin for the reason you mentioned. No back-up for Folau.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Haylett-Petty can certainly feel unlucky. He's had an excellent season. I tend to think he's much more in line with Hunt in terms of who has been selected instead of him so he has far more right to feel aggrieved.

That said, I'm guessing the backups to Folau in the 45 man will be Beale, JOC (James O'Connor), Hunt and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). We will see who remains once the squad is reduced to 35 at the start of the Rugby Championship.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

I think thats probably more thought than has gone into it: my cynical nature says its because he's being paid a fortune and might have some ability to pull viewers from rival codes as Folau is assumed/argued to have done.

T

Train Without a Station

well my common sense nature says that since he was originally recruited as a fullback, not a 13, I still doubt he's been considered over Godwin.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Hunt has shown glimpses only

Interestingly one of those moments was his tackle of Naiyaravoro last weekend, as they said on the Rugby Club last night, he never looked like missing

Goose

Frank Row (1)
On the topic of Folau's backup. About a month ago there was reports of a meeting between Cheik and Cooper where Cheika had some sort of offer. This got me thinking this lineup could be a distinct possibility, maybe not starting but definitely towards the back end of games;
9. Phipps
10. Cooper
11. Horne
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. Folau
15. Foley
Foley has played 15 before, adds another boot to back 3 and allows a bit more flexibility in centre selections (Kerevi/TK 12) if thats what cheika is looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.