• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Certainly with Godwin I would argue that he has been targetted by other teams as the main Force attacking weapon and hence is hit by two defenders when he gets the ball. He doesnt have the space he had last season hence isnt making those breaks. On the other hand his defence is fine, and the other Force players (Hayward, Rasolea and Ebersohn) are getting a lot of space to play in.

My concern with Goodwin is has lack of passing and support play. He ain't a Horne/McCabe crash baller @ 12 so to move forward he needs to be providing space at times to Hayward, Rasolea et al

When he can do that, those two defenders will have more decisions to make

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Godwin has two things going for him:
1. He breaks the line more often than our other inside centre options;
2. He's a bit bigger physically than To'omua/Beale

I think if he becomes a consistent attacking threat he will over take To'omua because having a bloke like that at inside centre is the way most teams play rugby nowadays (All Blacks, France, South Africa, England).

But that being said right now To'omua is the 12, and he deserves his spot based on his exception defence, and substantial attacking ability in second man play.

Would like to see the Brumbies move lilo to 10 and To'omua to 12 so he get's more experience in the position.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
My concern with Goodwin is has lack of passing and support play. He ain't a Horne/McCabe crash baller @ 12 so to move forward he needs to be providing space at times to Hayward, Rasolea et al

When he can do that, those two defenders will have more decisions to make

Godwin's strength last year was precisely his ability to make a half break and invariably get the ball to support players. It was what made him a danger to all defences. This year he hasn't been able to use that skill to such effect because of the added attention being applied to him. He is also showing a tendency to want to step back into the defence rather than hit the outside and set up his outside runners. But in last year's form, he would certainly be in the running for a squad position.

On Joe Tomane - he showed a lot of improvement in his game against the Blues. His Kick chase is as good as anyone's in Aus teams and his defence was solid, much better than the Honey Badger's. And remember that the Blues' wingers are amonst the hardest to stop in Super rugby, yet they went tryless against the Brumbies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I think we need O'Connor/Ioane back in the squad, even if just for depth.

That way we have 4 absolute top quality wingers next season.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Personally I don't think Godwin is closer to making the Wallabies this year than he was last year.

To'omua is rightfully the leading candidate for the 12 jersey after playing well there last year and being in excellent form this year (albeit at 10).

McCabe has come from nowhere and is arguably playing the best Super Rugby of this career.

Beale has emerged as a real option in the 12 jersey and his attacking stats outshine all the other 12s and he's produced tries and try assists similar to To'omua and Cooper who are both playing 10. Realistically, Beale has probably firmed as an obvious bench player to cover 10, 12 and 15. His two goal kicks from range against the Stormers will also not hurt his chances.

At this stage I think Godwin is behind all of them and Leali'ifano is still an unknown quantity given his recent return from a substantial injury layoff. I certainly think Leali'ifano has his work cut out for him to be a chance to play test rugby in June given the form of his competitors.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
One thing that Godwin is now becoming is a rock in defence he has made 65 tackles in 6 games and missed 7 those are massive numbers more than any other 12 in aus.

I agree his attack is down on last year but he is being double teamed ever time he gets the ball. Put him in a wobs team with other threats like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Izzy, Cooper he will have the time and space to carve.

But To'omua gets my vote to start but Godwin has to be in he squad to help his development and I think Link likes him he wanted to pick him last year but for his injury.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Personally I don't think Godwin is closer to making the Wallabies this year than he was last year.

To'omua is rightfully the leading candidate for the 12 jersey after playing well there last year and being in excellent form this year (albeit at 10).

McCabe has come from nowhere and is arguably playing the best Super Rugby of this career.

Beale has emerged as a real option in the 12 jersey and his attacking stats outshine all the other 12s and he's produced tries and try assists similar to To'omua and Cooper who are both playing 10. Realistically, Beale has probably firmed as an obvious bench player to cover 10, 12 and 15. His two goal kicks from range against the Stormers will also not hurt his chances.

At this stage I think Godwin is behind all of them and Leali'ifano is still an unknown quantity given his recent return from a substantial injury layoff. I certainly think Leali'ifano has his work cut out for him to be a chance to play test rugby in June given the form of his competitors.
the issue with beale is he doesn’t look for work on def he has made 18 tackles in 5 games and missed 5 i just cant see him being able to defend at 12 especially if you have Cooper at 10

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
the issue with beale is he doesn’t look for work on def he has made 18 tackles in 5 games and missed 5 i just cant see him being able to defend at 12 especially if you have Cooper at 10

Clearly Beale is a far inferior defender to To'omua, Godwin and McCabe so the Tahs aren't using him to make a lot of tackles at 12.

His defence was certainly something that most Tahs fans were concerned about when he was named in the 12 jersey however I think he's made a pretty good fist of it. The Tahs haven't been struggling in defence in that channel and the fact that Beale's defence isn't proving to be a weaklink for the Tahs but his attacking play has been vital in every one of our wins suggests that currently Beale at 12 is working very well.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
yeh choosing the bench by the time we reach the world cup will be tough. Assuming the likes of Folau/To'omua/Kuridrani/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Cooper keep their positions, and either Speight or Cummins are in the side, we'll have the likes of Beale, McCabe, Lilo, O'Connor, Cummins all fighting for one or two places on the bench. Lilo and Beale both offer something pretty similar and one will probably make it at the expense of the other.

McCabe looks like a handy bench option as this point given that he can play 11,12,13,14, even 15 at a pinch

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Wing is the area of biggest concern. JOC (James O'Connor) coming back is quite an attractive option at the moment. The two guys I would pick aren't actually playing there.
Of the other options
- Cummins is not worthy of the HB tag on form this year. He is the only option playing 11 weekly unfortunately.
- Tomane improved last week and hopefully continues to do so.
- Morahan/Davies/Turner/Betham have all had moments and are dogged by inconsistency.

Lock is a problem as well and it would be good to see some new guys blooded vs France. First two to get a go would be Jones and Carter. If neither make the step up then Simmons to come back into the side for the TRC. Unless Skelton can play 50+ minutes he will struggle to make the team.

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Douglas
5. Horwill (c)
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. White
10. Cooper (vc)
11. McCabe
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Sio
18. Alexander
19. Jones/Carter
20. McCalman
21. Genia
22. Beale
23. Cummins/Mogg

When Speight is able bring him to into 11 and drop McCabe to the bench over Cummins/Mogg.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Wing is the area of biggest concern. JOC (James O'Connor) coming back is quite an attractive option at the moment. The two guys I would pick aren't actually playing there.
Of the other options
- Cummins is not worthy of the HB tag on form this year. He is the only option playing 11 weekly unfortunately.
- Tomane improved last week and hopefully continues to do so.
- Morahan/Davies/Turner/Betham have all had moments and are dogged by inconsistency.

Lock is a problem as well and it would be good to see some new guys blooded vs France. First two to get a go would be Jones and Carter. If neither make the step up then Simmons to come back into the side for the TRC. Unless Skelton can play 50+ minutes he will struggle to make the team.

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Douglas
5. Horwill (c)
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. White
10. Cooper (vc)
11. McCabe
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Sio
18. Alexander
19. Jones/Carter
20. McCalman
21. Genia
22. Beale
23. Cummins/Mogg

When Speight is able bring him to into 11 and drop McCabe to the bench over Cummins/Mogg.

This thread seems to be confusing the optimum 23 for the RWC with the possible team for the mid year tests against France.

Looking towards the France tests first, we are somewhat constrained to consider current availability, but for the RWC we should be assuming everyone is available and in good form; ie the optimum team.

For this year, I think Benny Alexander is making a definite claim to start at TH. His form in the loose is better than it has been for a couple of years, and the Brumbies' scrum has been the most solid I've seen so far this year, even with one or two new players in the front row. Wing is probably a weak spot right now. Tomane will lock down one spot (No 11) if he keeps improving as he did against the Blues. HB has been disappointing, and I think Morahan is in front even allowing that they play different sides. However, more likely that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will fill the other spot (No 14) with the incumbent centres retained at least for the first test. Second row and back row are also debatable atm. I do not think Rob Simmons is playing good enough in the open to warrant his selection over either Fardy or Jones, both of whom are also very good lineout operators. His only asset atm is his ability to call the lineout, but that should be able to be taken on board by someone like Scott Fardy if needed. The question then, is will Fardy play 4 or 6? I think his best spot is 6 so would like to see Jones slotted into 4 with either Horwill or Douglas at 5. If fit, Palu and Higgers are my preferences for No 8. Higgers to start and Palu on later in the game.

For RWC, assuming all players are fit and available, allows JOC (James O'Connor) to be considered. But I wouldn't have him if he can't get a long term contract with one of the Super teams for 2015 and beyond. Certainly, Henry Speight then comes into the mix and will probably lock down the No 14 spot. Can't see a spot for Benn Robinson in either team on his current form, but if he knuckles down he is a chance of making it back for the RWC. Poey also comes into consideration for the RWC.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Wing is the area of biggest concern.

11. McCabe

I'm a fan of the choice of McCabe on the wing currently. His form this year is probably better than it ever was when he was a regular Wallaby and there is far more variation in his game than previously.

He's running hard and straight at holes and beating defenders and scoring tries in the process.

Given that To'omua is the likely 12 for the Wallabies and we are short on wing options, McCabe looks like a good fit there.

On current form I'd certainly prefer him to Tomane.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I'm a fan of the choice of McCabe on the wing currently. His form this year is probably better than it ever was when he was a regular Wallaby and there is far more variation in his game than previously.

He's running hard and straight at holes and beating defenders and scoring tries in the process.

Given that To'omua is the likely 12 for the Wallabies and we are short on wing options, McCabe looks like a good fit there.

On current form I'd certainly prefer him to Tomane.

Or Davies, Shipperley, Betham, HB and Morahan - the other contenders. I've left Cam Crawford out because presently he hasn't got any form at Super level.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Or Davies, Shipperley, Betham, HB and Morahan - the other contenders. I've left Cam Crawford out because presently he hasn't got any form at Super level.

I agree with all of those except maybe Cummins. I agree that his form this season hasn't been excellent but he was great for the Wallabies on the EOYT. That should and will count for something when the team is assembled for the June tests.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
No time in the schedule, but the old Probables v Possibles would be great. Something like:

Probables
15 Folau; 14 Cummins; 13 Kurindrani; 12 To'omua; 11 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper); 10 Quade; 9 Genia; 8 Palu; 7 Hooper; 6 Fardy; 5 Horwill; 4 Simmons; 3 Kepu; 2 Moore; 1 Slipper.

v

Possibles
15 Mogg; 14 Woodward; 13 Sautia; 12 Lealiifano; 11 Tomane; 10 Beale; 9 White; 8 McCalman; 7 Gill; 6 Higginbotham; 5 Douglas; 4 Jones; 3 Alexander; 2 TPN; 1 Sio.

The benches would then be the next rung from the likes of:

Hanson and Charles
Robinson, Smith, Weekes and Ryan
Neville, Skelton (fuck off Pyle)
Hodgson, Cottrell, Schatz
Phipps, Burgess
Foley, Inman, Godwin, McCabe, Morahan, English.

Oh Link, I know you're reading this. You don't have to not call it a Possibles v Probables just because I came up with the idea.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...on-for-world-cup/story-e6frf55l-1226877052200

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Godwin has two things going for him:
1. He breaks the line more often than our other inside centre options;
2. He's a bit bigger physically than To'omua/Beale

I think if he becomes a consistent attacking threat he will over take To'omua because having a bloke like that at inside centre is the way most teams play rugby nowadays (All Blacks, France, South Africa, England).

But that being said right now To'omua is the 12, and he deserves his spot based on his exception defence, and substantial attacking ability in second man play.

Would like to see the Brumbies move lilo to 10 and To'omua to 12 so he get's more experience in the position.

More importantly, Godwin is one of the best defensive players we have (not just in the backline either). He has made something like 70 tackles this season at something like a 90%+ success rate, making 15 odd tackles last weekend.
Defensively, Beale is a long way behind and for that reason I would not be picking him.
Defence was a big reason that Ant Fa'ainga and McCabe got bought in to the 12 position. Unfortunately both of those guys stifled the attack. That is something that Godwin does not do though, he has the ability to make breaks and get the pass away (although he isnt doing it that much this year, I tend to think more because he is being targetted by opposition teams).
I would go with To'omua as the starting 12, but I would argue Godwin is second choice
Having To'omua and Godwin as the 12 and backup 12, and Cooper and Foley as the 10 and reserve 10, leaves an issue with goal kickers. They can all do it, but none do it to the level that you would want your international kicker to be playing at. Our best kickers are probably Harris and Lilo, but I am not sure either would make it on all round form.
Interesting conundrum.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
The big difference between To'omua and Godwin defensive wise is that whilst Godwin is an effective tackler, he's not the fierce defender that To'omua is.

Or in simpler terms, To'omua smashes c**ts

Yup.
Id be starting To'omua at the moment.
I think Godwin is ahead of Lilo, McCabe, Beale and Harris though, as the second choice 12.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yup.
Id be starting To'omua at the moment.
I think Godwin is ahead of Lilo, McCabe, Beale and Harris though, as the second choice 12.

I'd pick To'omua at 12 as well but I think McCabe's form is pretty irresistable at the moment.

If I was picking a Wallaby bench today it would be Beale and McCabe as the non halfback reserves.

I'd be very tempted to start McCabe on the wing ahead of someone like Cummins.

Status
Not open for further replies.