• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I'd pick To'omua at 12 as well but I think McCabe's form is pretty irresistable at the moment.

What's McCabe's offload stats like this year? Sure it's great that he's hitting the line hard and getting over it, but being able to draw and pass is equally important for a back (and all players to be honest). I'd hate for our attack to simply die and have to be recycled whenever McCabe gets the ball (if his previous Wallaby games are anything to go off).

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Anyway, for 2015 RWC (assume a 32 man squad?):

Props: Slipper, Robinson, Alexander, Kepu, Sio.
Hooker: Moore, TPN, Charles
Lock: Horwill, Simmons, Douglas, Jones, Fardy (can fill in at 6 too)
Backrow: Hooper, Pocock (get better!), McCalman, Cottrell, Palu (assume he will break though), Higgenbotham
Scrumhalf: Genia, White, Phipps
Flyhalf: Cooper, Foley
Centre: Kuridrani, To'omua, Godwin
Outside Backs: Folau, Cummins, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (can cover 13 too), Speight, Tomane, Beale

I am not picking McCabe because I fear for his health.
I am picking Charles over Hansen because I am biased.
I am not picking Carter because I think that, like someone like Pek Cowen, he makes a great super rugby player but wont shine at test level.
I cant see that many changes to what we will normally put out for the RC this year. For example, I dont think JOC (James O'Connor) will make it. Not because he isnt a great player and skillful enough, but because a winning world cup side needs to have been settled for a while.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What's McCabe's offload stats like this year? Sure it's great that he's hitting the line hard and getting over it, but being able to draw and pass is equally important for a back (and all players to be honest). I'd hate for our attack to simply die and have to be recycled whenever McCabe gets the ball (if his previous Wallaby games are anything to go off).

No idea, he's not on the list of SANZAR's top offloaders although no Australian 12 is.

I think McCabe's running has been more elusive this season and he hasn't been afraid to pass either.

He's played a couple of absolutely cracking games whereas I think Godwin has been more subdued than last year (although he's probably copping more defensive attention as well).

Just comparing this year to last year I don't think Godwin is doing as much whereas I think McCabe is playing much better than he was when he was a regular Wallaby in 2011 and 2012.

I think Beale is a great option to cover 10, 12 and 15 though. His attacking stats are far superior to any other Australian 12 and for all the talk about his defence, no team has really exploited it so far. Sure he isn't making nearly as many tackles and Godwin or McCabe but that is largely by design.

Regardless, To'omua would definitely be my starting 12 for the Wallabies. He excelled there last year and his 2014 form has been excellent.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

According to the Fox Sports' stats re: offloads:

McCabe - 4
Harris - 5
Godwin - 2
Inman - 4
Beale - 11

It should be noted that McCabe played at first receiver in a couple of Brumbies' backline set plays off scrums that directly led to tries against the Stormers and Blues..........

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The best thing about To'omua at 12 is that he is both a playmaker, and a hard running/bone crushing defensive kind of inside centre.........

It's a rare commodity to have an inside centre that possesses all of those qualities.........

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Folau, Speight, Kuridrani, To'omua, JOC (James O'Connor), Cooper, Genia

Sio, Moore, Alexander, Simmons, Horwill, Higginbotham, Hooper, Palu

TPN, Slipper, Kepu, Fardy, Pocock, Burgess, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Beale

With Hanson, Smith, Douglas, Jones, McCalman, White, Lilo/Foley/Godwin, Cummins & another outside back making up a 32 man squad.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Folau, Speight, Kuridrani, To'omua, JOC (James O'Connor), Cooper, Genia

Sio, Moore, Alexander, Simmons, Horwill, Higginbotham, Hooper, Palu

TPN, Slipper, Kepu, Fardy, Pocock, Burgess, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Beale

With Charles, Cowan, Douglas, Jones, McCalman, White, Godwin, Cummins & another outside back making up a 32 man squad.
;)

T

Tip

I think Beale is a great option to cover 10, 12 and 15 though. His attacking stats are far superior to any other Australian 12 and for all the talk about his defence, no team has really exploited it so far.
I recall the Brumbies exploiting his two weak shoulders quite effectively. It mightn't have lead directly to any line breaks but there was easy metres to be made in the inside channel.

I'm starting to think that the Brumbies & Wallabies will be best served with McCabe starting at Outside Centre. 2 months ago I would have laughed and given myself the uppercut for saying such things however he's been a revelation this season and addressed all his shortcomings and then some.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Beale is still defensively frail at 12. It's all well and good if he scores a try a match but it is kind of redundant if he lets one through each match too.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
The best thing about To'omua at 12 is that he is both a playmaker, and a hard running/bone crushing defensive kind of inside centre...

It's a rare commodity to have an inside centre that possesses all of those qualities...

I'd put Godwin in the same boat. I think To'omua would be ahead in that regard based on his EOYT form, but the downside for To'omua is he is playing 10 at the moment.

Pretty sure I heard talk in the press conference after the Reds game of Godwin being considered at 13 (a la Conrad Smith). If it was something that was tried and worked, it would allow both McCabe and Folau as non-playmakers in the Wallabies starting line. I personally think Godwin's future should be at 10, but it'd be interesting to see how he went at 13.

T

Tip

I personally think Godwin's future should be at 10, but it'd be interesting to see how he went at 13.
I take it you didn't watch any of the Aus U20's in the 2012 World Cup. He was the only 10 we took into the tournament and was truly dreadful. It's no coincidence that it was our worst ever finish.
His best position is 12. Although it would be interesting to see him playing 13 - I think it leaves us a little short of punch with Quade and To'omua inside him.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Godwin was completely responsible for the poor showing at the U20s World Cup was he?
I agree he isn't a 10, but he is more than capable at playing there, like most playmaking 12s.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He was atrocious at that JWC particularly his goal kicking. He's come a long way since then though.

I think his best position is at 12 though. He's far more of a ball runner than a passer and kicker.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The best thing about To'omua at 12 is that he is both a playmaker, and a hard running/bone crushing defensive kind of inside centre...

It's a rare commodity to have an inside centre that possesses all of those qualities...

Yep, it is rare and that's why Horan is the best I've ever seen at 12 -- he could do all of those things you mentioned. To'omua is well on the way for mine. He's not a big bloke but he seems to be made of concrete as well as being skilful.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Yup.
Id be starting To'omua at the moment.
I think Godwin is ahead of Lilo, McCabe, Beale and Harris though, as the second choice 12.

On last year's form, yes, but on form this year McCabe is well in front of Godwin. Christian Lealiifano is just coming back from injury, having missed the start of the season. He looked particularly good in the second half against the Blues. At his best, I would also have him in front of Godwin. I think Godwin's time will come post RWC.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)

You obviously haven't been watching him play this year. It has been a revelation; meaning that good coaching and game plans can make the world of difference in how a player performs. It would be safe to say thet he had neither in his time with the Wallabies.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
This talk of Beale at 12 for the Wallabies is crazy. If he's on the bench he's covering 10 and 15. McCabe would be the centre cover.

Agree. And while the stats might show him making his tackles, a few of his efforts against the Stormers were very weak - just hands on stuff and hope the ball carrier fell over, and he also seems to be going high perhaps trying to strip the ball a la QC (Quade Cooper) of a couple of years ago (unfortunately QC (Quade Cooper) seems to have gone back to this tactic as well lately).

Tomikin

David Codey (61)

Its been good his been passing kicking and then backing up. Larkham said his been working hard on McCabe ball playing while recovering and its showing. He has set up some great raids and tries by adding it but not over using it. Teams think he wont do it then he pulls it out.. watch the hurricane game highlights for examples.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.