• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Beale is still defensively frail at 12. It's all well and good if he scores a try a match but it is kind of redundant if he lets one through each match too.

Yeah and his stats are different as he doesng always defend at 12 he drops back to help attack with someone covering 12. Making him more attacking stats less defensive. If you play a back 3 of McCabe Izzy and Speight you could get McCabe in the channel to defend at 12 and Kirtley back with Speight and Izzy.

But is that to hard at Test level.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I take it you didn't watch any of the Aus U20's in the 2012 World Cup. He was the only 10 we took into the tournament and was truly dreadful. It's no coincidence that it was our worst ever finish.
His best position is 12. Although it would be interesting to see him playing 13 - I think it leaves us a little short of punch with Quade and To'omua inside him.

I did watch them all. And I think you are dead wrong. I can't be bothered going to the effort of explaining why you are wrong because what you are saying is so far from the truth that it wouldn't be worth the time.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Our backline was complete poo in the 2012 U20 World Cup, there's no two ways about it.

I am another who doubts Godwin at flyhalf, would need to see how he goes with his organisational and game management skills as I haven't seen him show much of those as of yet.

He certainly has all the skills required of a top 12, but there's no doubt his form this year hasn't been as good as last year.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Yep, it is rare and that's why Horan is the best I've ever seen at 12 -- he could do all of those things you mentioned. To'omua is well on the way for mine. He's not a big bloke but he seems to be made of concrete as well as being skilful.

To'omua's body is literally made of rocks, anger and fast twitch muscle fiber.

Watch him hit twice as hard as Siliva Siliva while Laurie walks them through this rucking drill:

I've been more or less drooling the entirety of the Super Rugby season so far waiting for the privilege of seeing the Quade/To'omua combination again.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
At present, the only definite starting Wallabies for the RWC I can see are:

Israel Folau
Henry Speight
Quad Cooper
Wil Ginea
Stephen Moore

Why? Because 4 of these players (IMHO) are in the top echelon of international players.
The 5th player, Speight, might be a surprise as he is yet to don national colours, but his play is so impressive, he cannot be denied. He is the stand out winger presently in Australia.
Although a number of other players are impressive, they are still competing amongst themselves -Fardy, To'omua, Slipper, Higginbotham, Horwell, Ashley-Cooper, Hooper, Pocock; to name a few.
Time will tell :)

T

Train Without a Station

So a guy yet to debut at international level, currently out injured for several weeks is a definite starter? That will just about do me.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So a guy yet to debut at international level, currently out injured for several weeks is a definite starter? That will just about do me.

Likewise the argument that Hooper is only keeping the 7 jersey warm for David Pocock.

There is a weird crossover between people wanting form rewarded with Wallaby selection and also counting 2011 form as the criteria for selecting on form.

T

Train Without a Station

BH I agree with you but don't want to start up the fervent Pocock defenders again.

My point was more relating to the fact that Speight could very well struggle to make the step up to test rugby like many other players seemingly suited to it, able and ready for it have before. We won't know for sure until he is tested at that level so to label him a definite prior to debut is awful premature.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My point was more relating to the fact that Speight could very well struggle to make the step up to test rugby like many other players seemingly suited to it, able and ready for it have before. We won't know for sure until he is tested at that level so to label him a definite prior to debut is awful premature.

I agree.

I think he will go well, but it is silly to be talking about him as one of the Wallabies' best before he has ever played a test. Who knows when he'll get that opportunity either. You'd assume he'd go on the EOYT but if Australia is going reasonably well in the Rugby Championship, he might have to wait until an injury before he actually gets a run.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
To'omua's body is literally made of rocks, anger and fast twitch muscle fiber.

Watch him hit twice as hard as Siliva Siliva while Laurie walks them through this rucking drill:

I've been more or less drooling the entirety of the Super Rugby season so far waiting for the privilege of seeing the Quade/To'omua combination again.

I think I just got a semi watching that.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Likewise the argument that Hooper is only keeping the 7 jersey warm for David Pocock.

There is a weird crossover between people wanting form rewarded with Wallaby selection and also counting 2011 form as the criteria for selecting on form.

Agreed. There should be no certainties at this stage. Pocock has been out for so long now that he has a lot work to do to get selected again, Spreight needs to prove himself this international season and Cooper needs to remain consistent. Genia needs to regain form again.

Falou is probably the player least likely to give up a spot but even a poor international season and super xv season could see him pushed out or shifted to the wing.

I think more attention should be shifted to the wallabies 2014 thread.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Yep the bro with the fro :) but no he will have to work for it. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) Cummins Tomane have the jerseys ATM

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Who knows when he'll get that opportunity either. You'd assume he'd go on the EOYT but if Australia is going reasonably well in the Rugby Championship, he might have to wait until an injury before he actually gets a run.

Other than Badger, what other winger would realistically be ahead of Speight at the moment? Tomane is really the only name that springs to mind (that's presuming AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is utilized at 13).

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Other than Badger, what other winger would realistically be ahead of Speight at the moment? Tomane is really the only name that springs to mind (that's presuming AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is utilized at 13).

I think Tomane may end up on the bench behind Coleman at the Brumbies. . Cummins hasnt played well this season yet. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to wing Kirendurni to OC probably. .

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

If Kuridrani plays 13, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would be on the wing. McCabe is another good option assuming To'omua is playing 12.

Betham, Morahan, Crawford, CFS, English, Mogg, Tomane could all be options on the wing for the Rugby Championship depending on who is playing well and is healthy.

All things being equal (and Speight being fit), he'd be the first winger picked. The fact is that he's not eligible until near the end of the Rugby Championship. Other players will have had opportunities up until then and if the Wallabies are doing well and they remain healthy they'd be unlikely to be dropped the moment Speight becomes available.

Who knows whether Speight will be picked in the squad at the start of the Rugby Championship given he won't be eligible until near the end of it. If he is, you'd think his chances of playing quickly are much higher. If not, he'll probably have to wait.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Ahhh I completely went blank on Tevita. That would then change things.

One thing we need to be mindful in my opinion is, with the loss of JOC (James O'Connor), we loss a pretty hand return kicker. Ideally I'd want two out of my back three to be pretty handy with kicking. Izzy has shown he's able to do this, while he doesn't have a booming kick that Latho does, it's good enough to clear it instead of running it back. I haven't seen enough of Betham, Crawford, English and to an extent Tomane's kicking game. Morahan and Mogg have a boot on them but CFS and I believe Speight don't?

In any event, I'd see Morahan better suited to swapping with Izzy at 15. Both fairly big blokes, both good at the high ball and both good in contact.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Ahhh I completely went blank on Tevita. That would then change things.

One thing we need to be mindful in my opinion is, with the loss of JOC (James O'Connor), we loss a pretty hand return kicker. Ideally I'd want two out of my back three to be pretty handy with kicking. Izzy has shown he's able to do this, while he doesn't have a booming kick that Latho does, it's good enough to clear it instead of running it back. I haven't seen enough of Betham, Crawford, English and to an extent Tomane's kicking game. Morahan and Mogg have a boot on them but CFS and I believe Speight don't?

In any event, I'd see Morahan better suited to swapping with Izzy at 15. Both fairly big blokes, both good at the high ball and both good in contact.

Speights got a pretty good kick probably better the Tomane. Nothing special but good enough like Izzy

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
One thing we need to be mindful in my opinion is, with the loss of JOC (James O'Connor), we loss a pretty hand return kicker.

I am predicting JOC (James O'Connor) will get a wing spot come RWC15. For the reason above. Having an extra kicker and playmaking option on the wing really balances out the back 3 IMO, given Falou is at 15.

I'd say the best balanced back-3 would be 11. Spreight 14. JOC (James O'Connor) 15. Falou.

Too bad JOC (James O'Connor) is an ass.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Wing is the area of biggest concern.

Can't agree. The quality of our tight 5 will determine how we fair at the WC. So ensuring we have quality depth at 1,2,3,4 and 5 should be our biggest focus.

We are flush with decent wingers. Tomane and Cummins have both looked at home at test level (I wouldn't write off Cummins because of indifferent Super form; has Nonu taught us nothing?). AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a world class test player and will likely be vying for a spot on the wing. Speight looks like he'll probably be the best of the bunch. And then there's JOC (James O'Connor).

Status
Not open for further replies.