• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigSteve

Herbert Moran (7)
For mine I would start something simular to this, the tight five has experience and grunt, the back row Is solid with lineout jumpers in higgenbothem and hooper give us 4 options although none of them really call the lineout I would put higgenbotham in charge. That backline is electric! perfect combination of flare and defensive prowess.

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Fardy
5. Horwill
6. Higgenbotham
7. Hooper/ (Pocock if fit and in form)
8. Palu
9. Genia
10.Cooper
11.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12.Toouma
13.Kurindrani
14.Speight
15.Folau

16.Sio
17.Alexander
18.polota-nau
19.Jones
20.Gill
21.McCalman
22.Nic white
23.Beale

Possible other squad members:

Badger, lealifano ,Foley, Godwin, McCabe, Chris f-sautia, Inman, Luke burgess, Simmons, will skelton, Charles, Hansen, Robinson, Shatz

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
No reserve halfback?

You'd expect AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to make the 23 every day of the week. His versitility, being able to play 11-15 at a pinch would make him more valuable to your team, whether at 14, 22 or 23.
As for McCabe, I'm jumping in Bob Dwyers boat (fuck me right!?). I'd love to see Lilo play the house down and force his way into the 12 jersey for the Brumbies in the hope that McCabe can play the rest of the season at 13. He's very Mortlock-esque, with newfound ball distributing skills to boot.

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Fardy
5. Simmons
6. Higgers
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Speight
12. To'omua
13. McCabe
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Beale

Alexander, TPN, Sio, Horwill, McCalman, White, Beale, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

I put Wykes in there because I think he is a key component to the Force's go forward. I think Carter whilst works just as hard if not harder, tends to give away a lot of penalties for the brums. Horwill does not deserve a starting spot, Pyle is gone ( :( ), Simmons can be hot and cold and fardy is wasted at 4 IMO. I do agree AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has to be in there somewhere but I think he either has to compete with Tevita or Cummings.

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
For mine I would start something simular to this, the tight five has experience and grunt, the back row Is solid with lineout jumpers in higgenbothem and hooper give us 4 options although none of them really call the lineout I would put higgenbotham in charge. That backline is electric! perfect combination of flare and defensive prowess.

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Fardy
5. Horwill
6. Higgenbotham
7. Hooper/ (Pocock if fit and in form)
8. Palu
9. Genia
10.Cooper
11.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12.Toouma
13.Kurindrani
14.Speight
15.Folau

16.Sio
17.Alexander
18.polota-nau
19.Jones
20.Gill
21.McCalman
22.Nic white
23.Beale

Possible other squad members:

Badger, lealifano ,Foley, Godwin, McCabe, Chris f-sautia, Inman, Luke burgess, Simmons, will skelton, Charles, Hansen, Robinson, Shatz

I like the look at that team but again fardy needs to be at 6, Higgers at 8, horwill on the bench. Not entirely sure about Jones either. I like the look of other squad members though!

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
So the series against the Froggies has finished, with uthopia feelings for Wallabies fans, and further challenges on the road to the 2015 RWC.
At the start of this thread, I ventured the following 23 as the core for the RWC. Player form (or withdrawal as in McMenniman's case) in the meantime has altered my mindset in some situations, which I have reflected in green bracketed as offering more potential:

Slipper
Moore
Kepu
Skelton
Simmons
McMenniman (Carter)
Pocock (Hooper)
Higginsbotham (Palu)
Spleigh
Ginea
Cooper
To'omua (Beale)
Feauai-Sautia (Ashley-Cooper)
JOC (James O'Connor)
Folau

Bench
Tatafu Polota Nau
Robinson (Sio)
Ryan (Weeks)
Horwell
Hooper (Pocock)
Beale (To'omua)
Godwin (Feauai-Sautia)
Cummins

McMenniman has decided to go back overseas after getting bashed around and prefers the softer games where the money is.
No 6- I think Carter is going to be in this position before Fardy, as he offers more options in the line-out, where a second jumper is needed if Skelton is playing at lock.
No 8 - Palu's recent return to form makes him a given.
N0 7 - Pocock would need to really pull some rabbits out of the hat to overcome Hooper. Although I wouldn't write Pocock off just yet.

Ginea and Cooper are like certainties, in that on their day no one in the current Wallabies can really light a torch to them on their day, and most other days too. Ditto for Beale at Inside Centre, and I thought To'omua played really well beside Cooper in the last EOYT, but not the same X-factor.
Bench - I still rate Horwill over any other of the remaining locks whose names are not included above combined with experience.
I also think Godwin has a problem on his hands with Feauai-Sautia, who will shine next year. I have omitted
Kuridrani as he doesn't have enough speed and will look fairly pedantic against what a number of the other nations have to offer in that position (Conrad Smith, Manu Tuilagi, Jean De Villeurs,
Bastareaud etc).

What is appealing is the number of options available in each position.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think in a series where the opposition mad no inroads through the midfield and the Wallabies scored quite a few tries the centres can rest easy for now.

Actually come to think of it you have called for the whole backline bar Izzy to eithier be punted or moved.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
So the series against the Froggies has finished, with uthopia feelings for Wallabies fans, and further challenges on the road to the 2015 RWC.
At the start of this thread, I ventured the following 23 as the core for the RWC. Player form (or withdrawal as in McMenniman's case) in the meantime has altered my mindset in some situations, which I have reflected in green bracketed as offering more potential:

Slipper
Moore
Kepu
Skelton
Simmons
McMenniman (Carter)
Pocock (Hooper)
Higginsbotham (Palu)
Spleigh
Ginea
Cooper
To'omua (Beale)
Feauai-Sautia (Ashley-Cooper)
JOC (James O'Connor)
Folau

Bench
Tatafu Polota Nau
Robinson (Sio)
Ryan (Weeks)
Horwell
Hooper (Pocock)
Beale (To'omua)
Godwin (Feauai-Sautia)
Cummins

McMenniman has decided to go back overseas after getting bashed around and prefers the softer games where the money is.
No 6- I think Carter is going to be in this position before Fardy, as he offers more options in the line-out, where a second jumper is needed if Skelton is playing at lock.
No 8 - Palu's recent return to form makes him a given.
N0 7 - Pocock would need to really pull some rabbits out of the hat to overcome Hooper. Although I wouldn't write Pocock off just yet.

Ginea and Cooper are like certainties, in that on their day no one in the current Wallabies can really light a torch to them on their day, and most other days too. Ditto for Beale at Inside Centre, and I thought To'omua played really well beside Cooper in the last EOYT, but not the same X-factor.
Bench - I still rate Horwill over any other of the remaining locks whose names are not included above combined with experience.
I also think Godwin has a problem on his hands with Feauai-Sautia, who will shine next year. I have omitted
Kuridrani as he doesn't have enough speed and will look fairly pedantic against what a number of the other nations have to offer in that position (Conrad Smith, Manu Tuilagi, Jean De Villeurs,
Bastareaud etc).

What is appealing is the number of options available in each position.

You Drunk ? ?

T

Train Without a Station

Pete King... It would be QLD bias - or identify the set piece as an area of focus. But hey, if it doesn't align with your thinking it must be bias.

As I said before, Skelton had a great game. Unfortunately not a lot of his strengths were what you want your locks doing (His impact on his good clean outs and his maul defence were areas he did offer a lot here).

His attack was more that of a back rower - running wider. Not knocking him for it as I doubt the coach tells him to play differently and he ignores that. I'm just saying surely there is a reason why Link didn't choose to play him until we had won the series. Nobody was surprised at how Skelton played, he brought everything we knew he had to great effect.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
As it stands now
1. Slipper
2. TPN - Moore may not be back in time with games under his belt and TPN is playing very well
3. Kepu
4. Carter
5. Simmons
6. Fardy
7. Hooper (Captaino)
8. Palu
9. White - simply because of quick ball
10. Cooper
12. To'omua - but he needs to eradicate his charged down kicks
13 Kuirderani
11/14 Speight and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Folau

Bench
Moore
Cowan or Sio
Alexander
Skelton
Pocock
Beale
Phipps
Cummins
Higgers or McMeniman

I think the biggest names not chosen in the squad will be Genia and Horwill

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I thought Slipper and Sio were both good on the weekend. TPN was ok, think we really need Moore if we are to push for a RWC. Kepu still has some work to do at 3. It is an area of weakness for the Wallabies currently and I'm sure that NZ and SA will be looking to target us there.

Simmons seems to have the lineout role locked down. Skelton did some good things on Saturday but has to be seen against much stiffer opposition. I can't fault him so far though. Carter was great in Brisbane and I think he, like Skelton, needs more game time at this level. I think Horwill made a really good contribution off the bench on Saturday. As mentioned elsewhere his effort cant be faulted but his execution can do with some work. Hopefully he continues to improve in the next month with the Reds. We are starting to have some options here though.

Palu was back in form on Saturday. If he plays like that he can have the 8 jersey. I still like Fardy even though he is below last year. He has plenty of time to show us that form again. Hooper is busy but I'd have to watch the game again to give him a better review. Currently he is the best 7. Gill returning will put some pressure on but as he is now captain he will have the sport barring injury one would thinks. I don't like him as captain as he seemed to struggle with dealing with the ref in the second game. Moore is a better option for the RWC. Hopefully Hooper will grow into it, there seems to be little he can't do.

I like what White bought to the team. He gets the ball out quickly and as long as he puts away his box kick unless it's a last resort he can have the 9 jersey. Genia needs to be there though, even if off the bench. Phipps has not done too much from what I have seen.

Foley isn't a starting 10 at this level. He looked good in game one but seemed to go backwards as the series progressed. I'd keep him in the squad though as I think he can add something off the bench and is still early on in his test career. I would have like to see Beale start in the final game. He had a lot of energy when he came on and I think he is close to his best again. Cooper will come into consideration once he is fit again. I would like to see them under play him as he still was showing deficiencies for the Reds. He worked well with To'omua last year and it would be great to get that combination back again.

To'omua can have the 12 jersey. I'm a huge fan of his and think he can be the corner stone of the team. TK was ok at 13. There aren't too many options currently. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) could come into contention. CFS and Inman would need big years in Super rugby in 2015 to push for this role.

On the wing I thought AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Cummins were ok. Speight is who everyone wants to see. We need someone with pace who knows how to play rugby and he's the guy for this. Toomane is also another option. He is big and seems to finish well. If Speight is as good as we hope we won't need JOC (James O'Connor) (don't wan't him in the squad).

Folau is on another level. If he can have the right players around him it will give him more space. The French did a pretty good job in shutting him down and he still amde heaps of metres and scored tries, seemingly at will. I think Foley and Beale both offer good back up here at the end of games if required. I can't see us winning RWC without Folau at 15 though.

T

Train Without a Station

Jets I think you make some good points with one exception. You criticise Hooper's dealings with the ref in game 2, then say Moore is a better option for captain. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that. Not having a dig at you, just it's a pet hate of mine to see people go up the pecking order by way of their absence not showing any faults.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I must retract my comments as I didnt see
Slipper
Moore
Kepu
Skelton
Simmons
McMenniman (Carter)
Pocock (Hooper)
Higginsbotham (Palu)
I must retract my earlier comments re skelton and Horwill as I misread your post not to include skelton as all I saw was carter and simmons start , horwill bench.

TWAS we disagree on the matter I want Kev to be back where he was but how many tests do u want to lose in the process. Skelton on the rise Kev on the decline. Think my bias comment was swaded a little by a team featuring : Genia, Cooper, CFS, Simmons, horwill wouldnt be a fair representation of our current best 23 imo. U can concede that anyone outside of a reds supporter would agree with me?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Jets I think you make some good points with one exception. You criticise Hooper's dealings with the ref in game 2, then say Moore is a better option for captain. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that. Not having a dig at you, just it's a pet hate of mine to see people go up the pecking order by way of their absence not showing any faults.

After watching the replay, I thought Hooper was good with Pollock on Saturday. He was clear and articulate in his questions, and seemed to have a good attitude in his dealings. Horwill is a good captain, but sometimes seems to struggle a bit in communicating his concerns -- maybe just finds it harder to speak succinctly when he sucking in air.

Rocky was the worst. He always looked like he wanted to deck the bloke.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

I thought Moore was great for his 2 minutes. ;)

Fair call.

T

Train Without a Station

Skelton was great around the park with regards to his impact Pete King.

Horwill had a higher rate of involvements, and is better in the scrum (Surprisingly) and line out (Obviously).

Is Skelton's impact going to be the same against the AB's? That's the question and the issue. If he isn't drawing extra defenders and breaking tackles like he did, he becomes somewhat of a liability.

I don't care where the players come from. But despite the fact I was a short, pilfering 7, I have a high appreciation for the importance of the set piece. We are not good enough around the ground to be giving the All Blacks our set piece ball.

There is a reason why teams are balanced out the way they are. Once Read is back, are the All Blacks going to play Kaino or him at lock to accommodate the other one? No. They are going to play their locks who get the job done in the set piece and whilst don't have the same quality running game, get over the gain line in tight.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
As it stands now
1. Slipper
2. TPN - Moore may not be back in time with games under his belt and TPN is playing very well
3. Kepu
4. Carter
5. Simmons
6. Fardy
7. Hooper (Captaino)
8. Palu
9. White - simply because of quick ball
10. Cooper
12. To'omua - but he needs to eradicate his charged down kicks
13 Kuirderani
11/14 Speight and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Folau

Bench
Moore
Cowan or Sio
Alexander
Skelton
Pocock
Beale
Phipps
Cummins
Higgers or McMeniman

I think the biggest names not chosen in the squad will be Genia and Horwill