• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

I'm interested to hear more from those people suggesting Simmons won't be in the team, and if so who is going to replace him?

I guess the line out is just going to run itself? Behind Mowen who coincidentally is leaving, Simmons is the best line-out caller in the country. He isn't exactly a lump around the field either, he regularly has a high work-rate and on the EOYT he was one of the best performing forwards..

Yes he gives away stupid penalties occasionally, but apart from that he is a pretty good package. Horwill is the one who should be concerned, not Simmons.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Bit Harsh on Digby, He was not as threatening as he use to be but I think this was just a case that the opposition were more aware of him. The inside balls that use to work so well the opponents now saw coming. He is still a dangerous runner and would get over the gain line 99% of time. He would surely be in the top 3 wingers if he returned.

T

TOCC

Digby was at his peak in 2011, just because his form didn't reach that in later years doesn't mean he was a rubbish winger, he was still easily one of the best wingers in Australia in 2012/2013.. Not all wingers are there to sit out wide and be finishers, you get the occasional one like Digby who would often lead ball carries and tackle busts because he came of his wing.

That been said, he has massive question marks over his knees, Is he worth the risk by trying to bring him back to Australia? I think he is better suited to the longer season of European rugby where he can miss a game or two occasionally without it been detrimental to the season.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I'm interested to hear more from those people suggesting Simmons won't be in the team, and if so who is going to replace him?

I guess the line out is just going to run itself? Behind Mowen who coincidentally is leaving, Simmons is the best line-out caller in the country. He isn't exactly a lump around the field either, he regularly has a high work-rate and on the EOYT he was one of the best performing forwards..

Yes he gives away stupid penalties occasionally, but apart from that he is a pretty good package. Horwill is the one who should be concerned, not Simmons.
I have previously stated my reasons for thinking Simmons' spot might be in jeopardy, essentially because I believe he is very ineffectual at the ruck. As far as line out calling goes, that is a skill that a good lock/back rower can learn. Remember, before Mowen people were then saying Rob was essential for his line out abilities. Same situation now. But you could be right - it might be James who is in danger rather than Rob. I just can't see them both being retained when we need more dynamism from our locking pair.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Simmons is a good Test player. We have seen a lot of him. He had a great EOYT but before that was average to solid in the jersey. So I guess people are seeing more potential in other locks. I agree he is a good package but there is a chance he will be dropped for a newbie with an outstanding super 15 season.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I actually think Simmons has had a great start to the season.

I reckon he's one of those players that people automatically have a negative perception of because of his dumb penalties and laziness in years prior, but in the past 8 months or so, he has really stepped up.

I'd have him as the first pick second rower at this stage, his line-out ability is the best from a lock in Australia.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Simmons is 1st pick lock but that says a lot about our current locking stocks. Certainly nothing on England, New Zealand and South Africa.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I actually think Simmons has had a great start to the season.

I reckon he's one of those players that people automatically have a negative perception of because of his dumb penalties and laziness in years prior, but in the past 8 months or so, he has really stepped up.

I'd have him as the first pick second rower at this stage, his line-out ability is the best from a lock in Australia.

Being parochial, I would not hesitate to say that Sam Carter has consistently been as good as Simmons in lineouts and is much better around the park. He probably doesn't do any lineout calling with Mowen in the Team, but I'd have no doubts about his ability to do this as well.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Carter has been consistently good so far this year, and tonight I felt he was one of the standouts in the pack..........

Could be a tourist this year, but if he continues on his path he'll certainly be a Wallaby starter in a couple of years........

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I wouldn't be surprised if Dan's been told the only way for his persistent foot injury to heal is to allow it complete rest. For a couple of years. I'm no medico but from past history foot injuries are right buggers and are bloody difficult to come good.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Carter has been consistently good so far this year, and tonight I felt he was one of the standouts in the pack....

Could be a tourist this year, but if he continues on his path he'll certainly be a Wallaby starter in a couple of years....

He should have been last year in my view.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This is the 23 I'd roll out for France

Slipper
Moore
Kepu
Horwill
Simmons
Fardy
Hooper
Palu
White
Cooper
Tomane (Speight)
To'omua
Kuridrani
Ashley-Cooper
Folau

Polota-Nau
Sio
Alexander
Higginbotham
McCalman
Genia
McCabe
Beale

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I'd have the same, but probably the Honey-Badger over Tomane.

Just think he's the type of winger who is perfectly suited for test footy.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'd have the same, but probably the Honey-Badger over Tomane.

Just think he's the type of winger who is perfectly suited for test footy.

I'd have Honey Badger over AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the wing, I really hope Link only picks players in positions they are actually playing.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I'd have Honey Badger over AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the wing, I really hope Link only picks players in positions they are actually playing.
So you wouldnt pivk To'omua at 12 ? Let me guess Godwin ?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
So you wouldnt pivk To'omua at 12 ? Let me guess Godwin ?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

At the moment I would have Godwin, if Lilo finds form at 12 by the time France is here than he starts. First he has to get past McCabe though who has been playing well.

I think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) could be slightly ahead of Kuridrani for 13 at the moment. Depends on Links game plan for France.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I do think that Genia's form has slipped quite substantially this year. White and Phipps are playing really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.