• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies world cup squad selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
nah, I for one thought he had a very good Spring tour and played the best rugby I have seen him play for a long time.

Ged

Allen Oxlade (6)
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Rather than name a squad in detail, I'll just throw in a few bolters and controversial selections:

Mowen and McCalman starting 6/8 ahead of Elsom and Palu (these two boys have been playing with what the Wallabies need - desire, hunger and aggression and look like they want to smash people - Elsom is too injured and Palu is massively overrated dope, goes missing and just has a stupid look on his face - in fact Hodgo should be ahead of them too)

JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 and kicker

Bolters for the squad - J. Hanson - 3rd hooker, L. Morahan - big unit fullback / wing (can he get some Reds gametime ahead of Lucas please), McCabe, Ita Vaea, Cam Shepherd if he stays fit

The rest should be pretty predictable but can be tinkered with pending form.

Who should not come within a bull's roar of the squad - Mumm, Chisolm, Brown, Giteau - I mean how many times do you need to display that you are not up to the task?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Only thing I'd add to your post, Ged, is Mark Gerrard. We need a different style of player for some games, he's a different type of player to the other wingers and fullback.

Nice start, welcome aboard, Ged.

A

Alex-A

With regards to JO'C at 12 for the wallabies it will be intresting to see if he gets the nod at 12 in week eleven against the Crusaders. Id love to see how he matches up against Sonny Bill. Its quite possible if the Force bring in Willie Repia to 10.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
4. Horwill
5. Sharpe
6. McCalman
7. Pocock (c)
8. Palu

I beg you Deans.

you should be begging horwill's joints and bones to stay together more than deans. that man needs to be on a field for man than a few weeks at a time please.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Maybe a bit radical, but what about JO'C at 13? It seems most international sides are set on having a big/ small centre combination, so why not go for a skilled, evasive outside back? I like Barnes at 12, I think he offers a sense of direction and knows how to control a game. I realise this doesn't leave a spot for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), but he could play wing/ fullback role with Beale.

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
10. O'Connor
12. Barnes
13. Ioane (although Horne or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) could fill in)
?
I'm not sure the big battering ram style midfield is exactly our style. We've always placed more emphasis on being skillful and quick. Those blokes, particularly Barnes and O'Connor, are good defenders, and I can imagine this combo having plenty of speed and the ability to carve up the defence. I just think going for brute size is trying to play the opposition's game, (which they are always going to be better at, and is possibly just playing into their hands) rather than our own.

A

amanda

Only thing I'd add to your post, Ged, is Mark Gerrard. We need a different style of player for some games, he's a different type of player to the other wingers and fullback.

Agree with that, particularly if Beale, J'OC and Cooper are in the starting lineup. His kicking game and direction will be invaluable in the pressure situations.

Who should not come within a bull's roar of the squad - Mumm, Chisolm, Brown, Giteau - I mean how many times do you need to display that you are not up to the task?

Brown has been fabulous in the Force games I've seen this year, but then so have McCalman and Hodgson.

T

TOCC

Brown is like Hoiles, good at Super15 level, not so effective at test level.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Im going to throw it out there....
Genia, Cooper, O'Connor, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Vuna, McCabe, Gerrard.

Vuna (give him a few more games) could provide a real XFactor out wide, something Australia has lacked since Roff, Campese etc. Gerrard just offers more than any other fullback in Australia at the moment, his kicking game, his attacking game is consistant, although Beale offers that X Factor he can go missing or get lazy at times. But Beale/Gerrard would be the only two I would be looking at for Fullback.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
problem with the cooper/JOC (James O'Connor) pairing is, JOC (James O'Connor) is small and Cooper cant tackle, Barnes is at 12 to cover cooper and keep the channel in defence. JOC (James O'Connor) can tackle but you dont want him putting up with the same amount of traffic barnes takes or he will be less effective in attack. If you start JOC (James O'Connor) in midfield, cooper has to drop out and vice versa.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
problem with the cooper/JOC (James O'Connor) pairing is, JOC (James O'Connor) is small and Cooper cant tackle, Barnes is at 12 to cover cooper and keep the channel in defence. JOC (James O'Connor) can tackle but you dont want him putting up with the same amount of traffic barnes takes or he will be less effective in attack. If you start JOC (James O'Connor) in midfield, cooper has to drop out and vice versa.

Yeah thats a fair point. Although O'Connor isnt too bad in Defense, he is not a BARNES...my problem with Barnes is that it seems his natural instinct to attack has been coached out of him...instead his first option is too kick. I dear say with Barnes, O'Connor and Cooper in the squad, there wont be much room (if any) for Giteau.

I have a Bolter though....Christian Lealiifano

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Im going to throw it out there....
Genia, Cooper, O'Connor, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Vuna, McCabe, Gerrard.

Vuna (give him a few more games) could provide a real XFactor out wide, something Australia has lacked since Roff, Campese etc. Gerrard just offers more than any other fullback in Australia at the moment, his kicking game, his attacking game is consistant, although Beale offers that X Factor he can go missing or get lazy at times. But Beale/Gerrard would be the only two I would be looking at for Fullback.

Gerrard offers nothing more than a kicking game, and although it's unmatched, Deans will be looking for someone who can counter attack.

And he's not going to displace Beale who was one of the Wallaby's best last year.

Vuna? He shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Ioane or Mitchell... or even Turner... or McCabe...

Status
Not open for further replies.