• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies world cup squad selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Im going to throw it out there....
Genia, Cooper, O'Connor, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Vuna, McCabe, Gerrard.

Vuna (give him a few more games) could provide a real XFactor out wide, something Australia has lacked since Roff, Campese etc. Gerrard just offers more than any other fullback in Australia at the moment, his kicking game, his attacking game is consistant, although Beale offers that X Factor he can go missing or get lazy at times. But Beale/Gerrard would be the only two I would be looking at for Fullback.

Well, it is certainly "out there". Hmmm, Beale and Mitchell for starters were 2 of the best attacking options we had last year, so the logic of disappearing them seems flawed to me. McCabe, for all his intensity, is a slightly worse version of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), so we don't need 2 of them in the line at once. Gerrard is just a right leg, a good right leg at that, but offers nothing more. Beale actually kicks long pretty well, and is faster and far more dangerous.
Vuna, I agree, has potential, but is not about to knock off the incumbents.

W

WB3

Well, it is certainly "out there". Hmmm, Beale and Mitchell for starters were 2 of the best attacking options we had last year, so the logic of disappearing them seems flawed to me. McCabe, for all his intensity, is a slightly worse version of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), so we don't need 2 of them in the line at once. Gerrard is just a right leg, a good right leg at that, but offers nothing more. Beale actually kicks long pretty well, and is faster and far more dangerous.
Vuna, I agree, has potential, but is not about to knock off the incumbents.

100% agree

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
100% agree

Well I said it is out there.
Mitchell was the best attacking option at the back end of the season, during Tri Nations..not so sure.
I agree with the Beale factor, however I beg to differ with the boot, I do think Gerrard has the more accurate kicking game in open play...and defensively, I think Gerrard also is safer...but I did say, it was a toss up between both Players.
McCabe, for all his intensity (and lack of vision) could be a weapon off the Ruck, off Cooper, or Barnes in terms of getting go forward ball for the Forwards to work off. One job and thats to go forward, I think Deans would work wonders with this bloke. But again, my opinion.

Any thoughts on Lealiifano as a bolter?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well I said it is out there.
Mitchell was the best attacking option at the back end of the season, during Tri Nations..not so sure.
I agree with the Beale factor, however I beg to differ with the boot, I do think Gerrard has the more accurate kicking game in open play...and defensively, I think Gerrard also is safer...but I did say, it was a toss up between both Players.
McCabe, for all his intensity (and lack of vision) could be a weapon off the Ruck, off Cooper, or Barnes in terms of getting go forward ball for the Forwards to work off. One job and thats to go forward, I think Deans would work wonders with this bloke. But again, my opinion.

Any thoughts on Lealiifano as a bolter?

He needs to actually show some durability and consistent time / performance on the field. Hard to say yet. Lots of potential, but pretty unlikely to see Test time this year.
McCabe is not "bad", by any stretch. But I think he is not different enough to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - he runs straight and hard, he does not pass much, if at all, and I am unconvinced by his kicking. Not enough variety for mine.
I was perhaps a bit harsh on Gerrard - he is more than a boot, but all in all, Beale brings more.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I like for a starting backline:

9. Genia. We need his pass to give backs space.
11. Ioane. Strong and his inside runs off 10 and 12 always damaging.
10. Cooper. Attracts and mesmerises structured defence.
12. Carter. Only modern day 12 in oz, sadly.
13. Horne. Can get outside of his man.
14. Mitchell. Great finisher and good in traffic.
15. JOC (James O'Connor). Can go through or around them.

All can attack off Cooper's long or short balls and all can beat a man inside or outside. A very solid defensive group except for you know who.

S

Skippy

My WC squad - I feel these boys will be used in the tri nations with a view to forming the WC team.

Props - 1. Robinson, 2. Alexander 3. Slipper 4. Palmer 5. ??? Possibly Baxter although I doubt it... liability penalty wise due to reputation. The 5th prop spot is a quite open at present in my opinion. Kepu, Daley, Henderson....

I don't know quite why but I can see Pek Cowan being picked and even used as the 3rd choice hooker in the weakest pool games for Australia.

Hookers - 6. TPN 7. Moore 8. Nathan Charles - I beleive we will take 3 hookers so that Moore and TPN can be rested against the weaker pool teams and given their injury prone nature... I see Charles ahead of Fainga'a and Fitzy from NSW at present.

Second Row -

9. Sharpe
10. Horwill
11. Vickerman - his experience will be an asset even if it's only at training and in pool games. Personally his position is almost a cert apparently... and it's a shame in a way as Higgers, Brown and others will miss out.
12. Simmons

Backrowers - 13. Pocock 14. Elsom 15. Palu 16. McCalman 17. Hodgson 18. Higginbotham 19. Sam Wykes - I think he might get a run in tri nations or warm up tests before dropping out of WC squad... covers second row/backrow.

As much as I'd like to include Waugh as a backup and to have his presence in and around the team, I can't see him going.

Backs- 20. Genia
21. Burgess
22. Cooper
22. Barnes
23. Giteau
24. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
25. Ioane
26. Mitchell
27. O’Connor
28. Beale
29. Rob Horne
30. Stirling Mortlock
31. Cameron Shephard
32. Mark Gerard
33. 3rd choice scrum half - most likely Phibbs although i think Brett Sheehan is having a good season but Phibbs will get a run out firstly.

I've picked 33 players which I believe wil be used in the tri nations to prepare for the World Cup... To get it down to 30, I would drop out Sam Wykes whilst I'm pretty sure out of that list of backs someone wil get injured and be unavailable!.

Some big names miss out - Fainga'a, Baxter, Waugh, Turner, Rod Davies, Hynes, Dean Mumm, Richard Brown, Rodzilla, Ma'afu and Higginbotham.

On standby for the call up for me would be Saffy, Cooper Vuna.

Personally I see this as a really strong team capable of bringing home the World Cup. Main concern for me is 5th prop position.

At the end of the day... we only need to 'perform' for 160 minutes to bring home the WC and that's the semi and the final. I expect the lineup for final will be -

Robinson or Slipper
TPN
Alexander or Slipper
Sharpe
Horwill
Elsom
Pocock
Palu
Genia
Cooper
Stirling at 12
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13
JOC (James O'Connor) and Mitchell on wings
Beale

Bench -
Gits
Burgess
Barnes
Reserve Prop 1
Reserve Prop 2
Moore
Hodgson

MOST IMPORTANTLY - We need to forget about the numbers on the backs of the jerseys for the backline.... nothing to stop JOC (James O'Connor) playing at 12 in attack etc or playing interchanging positions... I personally see this as the Wallabies trump card and that Deans will develop this prior to the WC... SBW's etc won't know who is playing where as all the backs will swap and change all the time during the game.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So far -

Props:

Robinson
Palmer
Slipper
Kepu/Alexander

Hookers:

Moore
TPN
?

Locks:

Horwill
Sharpe
Simmons
?

Backrow:

Elsom
Pocock
Palu
Hodgson
McCalman

Scrumhalves:

Genia
Burgess
Phipps

FH/IC:

Cooper
JOC (James O'Connor)
Giteau
Barnes

Outside backs:

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Horne
Beale
Ioane
Mitchell
McCabe
?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Slim 293;222542 - Amended by The Konze said:
Props:
Robinson
Palmer
Slipper
Kepu/Alexander

Hookers:
Moore
TPN
Charles

Locks:
Horwill
Sharpe
Simmons
Douglas
(Pyle as a smokey?)

Backrow:
Elsom
Pocock
Palu
Hodgson
McCalman

Scrumhalves:
Genia
Burgess
Phipps

FH/IC:
Cooper
JOC (James O'Connor)
Giteau
Barnes

Outside backs:
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Horne
Beale
Ioane
Mitchell
McCabe
Gerrard

Filled in the gaps. How does this look?

T

TOCC

i agree with Pyle and Gerrard.... however Charles is still to inconsistent at the set piece, he is pretty average in the lineouts, he went alright last night, but in the earlier games and pre-season games he was pretty bad.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Haven't seen much of the Force this year, I was impressed by his running game last night though.

Will Edmonds get another go? I hope not but Deans... is Deans.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Edmonds had overtaken Fainga'a in the pecking order on the EOYT but got injured...

His set piece has been pretty solid, and he's probably the best of the rest with ball in hand, but he is another in the long line of modern Aussie seagull hookers...

I think there is little separating the candidates for the third choice... but hopefully our first two picks will be fit and all they'll be required for is playing against the minnows...

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Maybe a bit radical, but what about JO'C at 13? It seems most international sides are set on having a big/ small centre combination, so why not go for a skilled, evasive outside back? I like Barnes at 12, I think he offers a sense of direction and knows how to control a game. I realise this doesn't leave a spot for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), but he could play wing/ fullback role with Beale.

What is it they put in the water in Queensland? :lmao:

I live there, and it doesn't seem to be affecting me.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Edmonds had overtaken Fainga'a in the pecking order on the EOYT but got injured...

His set piece has been pretty solid, and he's probably the best of the rest with ball in hand, but he is another in the long line of modern Aussie seagull hookers...

I think there is little separating the candidates for the third choice... but hopefully our first two picks will be fit and all they'll be required for is playing against the minnows...

neither are worthy, Hanson looks the best back up option so far, he plays like a hooker

Scotty

David Codey (61)
He also works hard to get in a support position not to mention I don't recall him making one mistake so far this year.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
If Mortlock keeps going the way he is, he should be included. Stiffens defence, always gets over the advantage line and adds a mature head in amoungst some really exciting youngsters not to mention he may prove handy on the goal kicking front.

T

The Big I

Props:
Robinson
Palmer
Slipper
Kepu/Alexander

Hookers:
Moore
TPN
Charles

Why no Tim Fairbrother? I know he has sign to play in England next yearbut stil;. I'm not really surprised he's leaving but for FS part of the reason he came "back"to OZ was the carrot of a wallaby spot to bring him here I would have expected him have starting at last years Trinations. Charles as our number 3 hooker looks good I would expect him to be our starting hooker next world cup

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I want more size in the pack. How about Horwill at 6? Something along the lines of:

4 Simmons
5 Sharpe
6 Horwill
7 Pocock
8 Palu

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Surely Kepu gets in front of Alexander.

Where is Mowen. Last year he had the most lineout steals in the S14 and isn't that far away this year. I would like a very good jumper in the back row and if you have Pocock and Palu there Mowen would compliment that very nicely. I am not a fan of Horwill at 6 even at Super level.

Status
Not open for further replies.