• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies world cup squad selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Drew Mitchell
12. James O'Connor
13. Rob Horne
14. Digby Ioane
15. Kurtly Beale

Slide AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in at 13 and that looks like it for me.
Hard to see them needing Gits in the squad with Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor), Beale and Barnes unless he comes as the 3rd 9.

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
I agree that they don't really need Gits in the squad. But something tells me that the selectors won't agree and that they'll pick him

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
I stand by what I said. Who is within a hundred miles of him at blindside? Our pack needs mongrel and go forward, Rocky's got both. McCalman maybe fulfils both at 6, but that leaves open the position of eight, where we still don't have a walk-up starter (as much as I like Cliffy, he's never really vanquished all the other contenders).

Hang on to your hyperbole. The first half of last years internationals he was hardly consistently stellar. If the same was to apply this year, coming back from a long layoff, of the players running around this weekend I would say that certainly McCalman, but also Dennis, Mowen, Higginbotham are within a cooee, for example, of making 3 tackles and missing two.

If he's not there, one of the others are certainly going to have to step up. Maybe one would have already with opportunity.

From The Wiki

05/06/2010 V Fij 5 I watch videos of his form for Leinster and keep waiting for him to re-produce it for the Wallabies, maybe next week? Did what was required however should be made to run a few laps of the oval next training for dropping the ball near the line – wouldn’t have happened at Leinster, neither would have the hurdling.
12/06/2010 V Eng 7 With Dick and Bam doing the dirty work, Rocky was able to run a bit wider and cause mayhem in defence close to the ruck. Was able to keep the team composed even as the scrum disintegrated which proves his is leadership abilities.
19/06/2010 V Eng 6 I thought this was his best game for the Wallabies in a while as he was busy and aggressive in tight. Initial stats don’t seem to back this up, but I’m backing my first thoughts. Not convinced about his captaincy still, highlighted by his decision to let Gits take that penalty shot straight after being hit hard and illegally
26/06/2010 V Ire 6 Supposed world class player who has yet to deliver for the Wallabies like he did for Leinster last year. Better than anything the Irish offered but still short of Jerome Kaino standard.
24/07/2010 V SA 9 A world class display of power running by the Rock. He was a man on a mission last night and it showed. This was a return to his old Heineken Cup form. The workrate and physicality of his tight forwards allowed him to run a little wider off the ruck. He found or created the holes and burst through. Magnificent and menacing in full flight. A captain’s knock of class and composure.
31/07/2010 V AB 5 I thought the Rock was a bit disappointing. There’s a sneaking suspicion that he goes missing at times in the really hard games. I didn’t want to say that (because it sounds a little ‘un-Australian’) but that’s my feeling. He was outplayed by Jerome Kaino and his relationship with Referee Joubert got somewhat ragged. He did improve in the 2nd half though.
7/08/2010 V AB 6 Spent a good part of his game doing the work the forwards should be doing, so wasn’t spotted much. Would be acceptable if ‘c’ wasn’t next to his name.
28/08/2010 V SA 5 Stats don’t always tell the full story but something’s wrong when the blindside flanker only makes 3 tackles in a match (and misses 2 others). Didn’t have his best game but had a few dabs along the way. Good to see him getting along with Alain.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Tim Horan's article was laughable, as his agenda was clearly promoting the leadership of two Reds players...

At the time of Elsom's return there were no decent 6s in Australia and he'd just come off being the form player of the Heineken Cup...

His form was a bit dour in those tests straight from his return and in hindsight he shouldn't have been rushed back...

But there's no doubting he was in good form on the EOYT and the second half of the 3N...

He also got better as a captain as the year went on...

As it stands there is no one better to replace him... he was in excellent form before injury... there are no better candidates...

It seems a bit ridiculous to keep harping on about him...

If he returns from injury and he struggles then we should be talking about him... but at this point in time there is no reason to doubt his place in the team... no reason whatsoever...

Horan being a former Red, must be bias. Push that junk aside and have a look at the merits in his suggestion. Look at the culture in the Reds squad led by Horwill and Genia. Reds fan or not, it is hard not too see it as healthy. Just maybe the bias former Red was looking at that transferring into the Wallaby environment. Both Horwill and Genia are among the first to be picked when fit which also makes them very viable options.

Regarding Elsom. My only concern is that a less than fit and out of form player makes the side on the back of being the incumbant captain. Make no mistake about it, when in form Rocky is our best option. for all his attributes mentioned in this thread I am suprised nobody has mentioned his value as the third lineout option. The value he adds to the Wallaby lineout is emmence. For the sake of continuity, I hope he finds fitness and form before the international season as changing captain in the RWC year sounds disruptive. I also like the way Rocky can change his style of game to suit.

I just would not want an out of form player carried in a position where we have other options who are really stepping up to be counted.

hench

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Would these guys be considered certainties in our strongest team? Obviously JOC (James O'Connor) will be there somewhere but we don't know where yet.

1. Robinson
2. TPN
5. Sharpe
6. Rocky
7. Pocock
9. Genia
10. QC (Quade Cooper)
11. Drew
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Kurtley

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Would these guys be considered certainties in our strongest team? Obviously JOC (James O'Connor) will be there somewhere but we don't know where yet.

1. Robinson
2. TPN
5. Sharpe
6. Rocky
7. Pocock
9. Genia
10. QC (Quade Cooper)
11. Drew
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Kurtley

I think that out of those, TPN and Drew are only 50/50 selections. Moore is a favoured starter with TPN for impact, and Drew is always going to be at risk from Ioane if JOC (James O'Connor) gets a wing. Wing is fiercely contested, which is A Good Thing. An in-form Robinson seems like a certainty but not on last year's form: Kepu's star is about to rise, methinks. I also think Quade is at risk, due to his defensive frailties, but he is probably safe for the RWC. Rocky would be far from a cert if not captain. And even Sharpe is at risk in the unlikely event that Vickerman fires up.

So, not a lot of certainties, largely due to competition for spots.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
1. Robinson
2. TPN
4. Horwill
5. Sharpe
6. Rocky
7. Pocock
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. QC (Quade Cooper)
11. Drew
15. Kurtley

Where JOC (James O'Connor) plays is the issue that will help define 12, 13 & 14 and who ends up at THP will be down to how they all finish, Slipper would be the favorite to me for THP

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think Scotty's 4 certainties are correct. You would also have to say a fully fit TPN is too. However a fit Moore is in more consideration then a TPN playing with injuries as he has been doing.

JOC (James O'Connor) would be next in line, but at what position? if its wing then the other winger is either Digby or Mitchell, if he's at 12 then Digby and Mitchell are most definitley the wingers.

Rocky, Robinson, QC (Quade Cooper) would be next, baring game-time and form (if Rocky gets only decent game or two, Deans will pick him). Only very bad form leading into the wallabies will knock the other 2 out. Im thinking they will only have to be playing average for them to be picked.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is probably next, He has been out of form, but a few games in form and he's back in the squad. however if he wants to be in the starting squad he'll have to show some GOOD form,Average form will only put in him on the bench.

The rest is pretty debatable. However id say it'll be Palu, Horwill, Burgess.

O

omfglol

to me half those players u have chosen should not be there .....

1.robinson
2.saia Fainga'a
3. alexander
4.vickemen
5.horwill
6.robinson
7.pockock
8.elsom (higimbothem if elsom injured)
9.genia
10. quade
11 digby
12.anthony Fainga'a
13. (hard to choose)
14 james oconnor
15. beale

i think this is best disission if it was me some people think occonor will make 12 anthony 13 but sonny bill / ma nonu are to big for james to take on 1v1 in my mind i think berrek barnes has played bad since he left reds so no point him being there and matt is to old

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
if drew mitchell is fit for the world cup that seems like a possibility at the moment, i would love to have him and digby on the wings just for the amount of extra metres both seem able to get every ball touch.

for me, that drops JOC (James O'Connor) to the bench as a utility =, a bloody good one and perhaps a game winning one. i dont think there is any shame in that and hopefully he doesnt have KPI's that determine he has to start.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Say everything goes to plan and we have the Kiwi's in the final, with a fully fit Berrick Barnes and James O'Connor. Let's say Giteau's been playing as backup to Quade and only starting against the minnows, Drew Mitchell has returned and is on the wing. Do you pick Barnes or O'Connor at #12, I'd hate to see JOC (James O'Connor) on the bench because we will certainly need his kicking but Barnes' defence and tactical kicking is well suited to a gameplay that will challenge the kiwi's and he would be more likely to contain the likes of SBW, Nonu, Smith or whoever else the kiwi's throw at us.

My point is, with a fully fit Barnes and O'Connor, who do you select at 12 for the final? Most matches JOC (James O'Connor) would be the easy choice but overlooking Berrick against the kiwi's and trusting JOC (James O'Connor) to defend for Cooper is a risk IMO

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
IMO u always start berrick then bring on JOC (James O'Connor) with 30 to go and let him use his fast feet against tiring forwards. It also helps the bench to have someone that plays 10,12,11, 14,15 on it.

Barnes and quade where doing the job last year and the combo was getting better if fit would love ton see it again.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We'll have to wait and see if Barnes plays again this year, or ever again...

And on form Giteau had a much better year...

I think if Barnes does return he'll have to fight for a bench spot...

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Say everything goes to plan and we have the Kiwi's in the final, with a fully fit Berrick Barnes and James O'Connor. Let's say Giteau's been playing as backup to Quade and only starting against the minnows, Drew Mitchell has returned and is on the wing. Do you pick Barnes or O'Connor at #12, I'd hate to see JOC (James O'Connor) on the bench because we will certainly need his kicking but Barnes' defence and tactical kicking is well suited to a gameplay that will challenge the kiwi's and he would be more likely to contain the likes of SBW, Nonu, Smith or whoever else the kiwi's throw at us.

My point is, with a fully fit Barnes and O'Connor, who do you select at 12 for the final? Most matches JOC (James O'Connor) would be the easy choice but overlooking Berrick against the kiwi's and trusting JOC (James O'Connor) to defend for Cooper is a risk IMO

It's certainly a conundrum. Deans' is very lucky that he has an abundance of 'X-Factor' players from which to chose, but the question remains as to where they should be picked. I'm referring to Beale, Cooper and O'Connor. All full of similar talent- fast, creative, skillful and unpredictable. Predicting the make-up of the Wallabies backline is by no means straightforward, with multiple options on the wings and in the centres. I'm assuming that the full-strength backline will be 9. Genia 10. Cooper 11. Mitchell 12. O'Connor 13. Ashley-Cooper 14. Ioane 15. Beale, however I'd imagine that within that group multiple attacking and defensive structures will be planned.

I don't know what the Wallabies will do in defense. Beale's amazing counter-attack from #15 in addition to his combination with Cooper was a revelation for the Wallabies. But Cooper's phenomenal efforts from the back during this year's S15 campaign leave me wondering how Deans will utilise the skill of both players. If we are going to play Cooper at #15 in defense constantly then Beale's greatest asset is wasted, and IMO he should be replaced with somebody who's more reliable under the high-ball, has a bigger boot and is more defensively sound- either AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Gerrard. However, if a dual-fullbacks model is employed then I'd stick with my original backline. A massive advantage the Wallabies have is that we can bench a player like Beale, Cooper or O'Connor in favour of a player in the Barnes/Gerrard mold and still maintain the best attack in world rugby. Of course, a key factor in positional alignment will come down to Mitchell's fitness- if he's fit, JO'C plays #12, but if not, then JO'C plays #14.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
At this time of the year everybody will be mentioning a cast of dozens of players who they would like to get a run at the RWC but without the discipline of limiting the squad to 30, or getting the balance right between forwards or backs , or even the balance right within positions, or families of positions such as backrow, back 3 and centres.

I wish I could find my own post where I analysed the forward distribution of teams but I can't find it. But in it I mentioned that Oz chose 16 forwards:

- 3 hookers
- 4 props
- 4 locks
- 3 flankers
- 2 no.8s

This was typical though the Argies and SAffers took 5 props. Most of the major teams had 16/17 forwards and the Argies took 18.

Oz also took 14 backs:
- 2 scrummies
- 2 flyhalves
- 4 centres
- 6 back threes

Like this year some of the categories backs ended up in were blurred.

Most people will want to talk about the backs as is their wont, but if 16 forwards (including 3 hookers) are going to go to the RWC, who will they be? And could one of the locks double as a 6 as 3M could have in 2007?

S

saulih

Just musing over our lack of any truly great goal kickers like Wilkinson, Steyn, or Carter who we can give the pill to with any sense of confidence. Funny how the only kick attempts I remember are those that get missed. I would like to see a study made of how many close games we have lost due to poor kicking, and subsequently the losses of Super Rugby seasons, EOYT series, 3N and WC's - to see if my instincts about this are correct.

I have tried looking around for a site that has goal kicking stats but to no avail. Who had the best percentages this Super Rugby season? I know they are giving the pill to Gits (saw that noted somewhere), but is he the rated kicker on the side judging purely by stats? I guess I haven't paid too much attention to each of their stats to know how they compare.

If Gits was out, who would be given this role?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I can think of some games where poor goal kicking has cost us: Scotland in 2009, England (Sydney) in 2010 and All Blacks (Sydney) in 2010. There was another, but I can't for the life of me remember which one it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.