• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies world cup squad selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
I have tried looking around for a site that has goal kicking stats but to no avail. Who had the best percentages this Super Rugby season? I know they are giving the pill to Gits (saw that noted somewhere), but is he the rated kicker on the side judging purely by stats? I guess I haven't paid too much attention to each of their stats to know how they compare.

Ruckingoodstats is the man you need to speak to.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Super Rugby kicking is nothing to go on, Quade Cooper is at 67% or something and I would HATE to see him kicking for the wallabies. In fact I would probably turn the tv off before every kick. JOC (James O'Connor) was our best kicker and IMO should be our first choice, he should get the conversions and anything within 30m of the post. For long penalties of 30+ I'd have Kurtley kicking just cause he has more distance. 3rd choice would be Giteau followed by Quade as 4th.

I'd give Quade drop goals however.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Hornet

We lost heaps yonks ago especially to Foxy. Once Noddy missed 6 out of 7 at Eden Park including one in the final seconds which would have drawn the game and won the Bledisloe Cup that year. Foxy missed some too as the balls were over-inflated but we had a reasonable revenge later in the year when we smacked the All Blacks in the RWC semi in Dublin and went on to win the 1991 RWC Final.

The SAffers won't be worried about their goal kicking and I think that the game they will bring to the RWC will be little different from that of 2007: kicking for real estate and pouncing on mistakes including ill-discipline. The lack of success of the Stormers at the pointy end of the season and their inability to score a lot of tries will confirm to PdV that this strategy is the way to go for Bok players, whatever Super outfit they played for.

But I digress. Harris is the best goal kicker in an Oz Super Rugby team, in fact the only good one, but he's not of international standard yet. (Not that the Kiwis have had a great year with goal kicking.)

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'd prefer it if O'Connor was the Wallabies kicker. That said, his kicking prowess over the others is a bit like being the thinnest kid in the fat camp.

Some of his attempts against France last year were dire.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I still don't get how JOC (James O'Connor) became first choice, gits was, then in south Africa Beale stepped up and won a game on the buzzer, then thhe next week gits didnt want to kick and Beale, even though he was back up kicker was overlooked for JOC (James O'Connor) who really hasn't set the world on fire but seems to be regarded as the only one capable.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I still don't get how JOC (James O'Connor) became first choice, gits was, then in south Africa Beale stepped up and won a game on the buzzer, then thhe next week gits didnt want to kick and Beale, even though he was back up kicker was overlooked for JOC (James O'Connor) who really hasn't set the world on fire but seems to be regarded as the only one capable.

Well JOC (James O'Connor) spent all the time with the kicking coach, remember reading an article about the work he was doing towards the end of last season, and his kicking this year hasn't been too bad. As for Gits he has had the last 5 or so years to establish himself as Australia's number one kicker and although there was a period there where he was consistent he is a little too hot & cold for my liking, he's a much better player when he focuses on rugby and not converting tries. You may recall Mortlock was preferred over him numerous times but neither would be in my top 10 australian kickers of all time.

As for Beale, I seem to get the impression that he prefers long distance kicks. I know he's not too shabby from close to the sticks but his willingness to step up for the 50m kick after the buzzer showed he has balls. I wouldn't mind seeing him kick for the WOBS and I wouldn't be surprised if he has the kicking duties at certain points but I think he's one of the players that pressure gets to, we need him focusing on his assets such as the kick return and less on conversions.

JOC (James O'Connor) is the choice at the moment due to his work with kicking coaches and his technique is the most likely to succeed out of the bunch. We have no 'ideal' kicker but someone's got to do it and I'd rather give it to a young kid with nothing to lose than to Git's who is struggling to make the XV and has had numerous years to prove himself and hasn't or Beale who is likely to get shaky if he's not having a good game at fullback.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Kicking stats for Super Rugby:

Steyn 79%
Gits 78%
Carter 73%
JOC (James O'Connor) 72%
Beale 71%
QC (Quade Cooper) 67%

Obviously there are a lot of explanations and qualifications to those numbers. The Brumbies try-heavy approach encouraged taking a lineout instead of a risky PG shot from out wide. The Force really struggled to penetrate the opposition half, and thus JOC (James O'Connor) had to take a fair few PG shots from 40+. I don't know these two for sure, but they are two of my guesses. Maybe ruckingoodstats can help here.

I like JOC (James O'Connor)'s kicking becuase he generally hits them straight with no fade or draw like QC (Quade Cooper) or Gits.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Hornet

We lost heaps yonks ago especially to Foxy. Once Noddy missed 6 out of 7 at Eden Park including one in the final seconds which would have drawn the game and won the Bledisloe Cup that year. Foxy missed some too as the balls were over-inflated but we had a reasonable revenge later in the year when we smacked the All Blacks in the RWC semi in Dublin and went on to win the 1991 RWC Final.

The SAffers won't be worried about their goal kicking and I think that the game they will bring to the RWC will be little different from that of 2007: kicking for real estate and pouncing on mistakes including ill-discipline. The lack of success of the Stormers at the pointy end of the season and their inability to score a lot of tries will confirm to PdV that this strategy is the way to go for Bok players, whatever Super outfit they played for.

But I digress. Harris is the best goal kicker in an Oz Super Rugby team, in fact the only good one, but he's not of international standard yet. (Not that the Kiwis have had a great year with goal kicking.)

Lee, yes I remember it well -- especially the game when Noddy had an off day at Eden Park (deplorable conditions too from memory). Foxy was a points machine and routinely kicked us off the paddock, rather like Mehrts did on a number of occasions.

We need two things over and above all the good set piece work and the breakdown: strong midfield defence and accurate goal kicking. That goes a long way to winning knockout tournaments. Just ask our RWC winning teams of the past (and the Saffers in 2007).

S

saulih

Kicking stats for Super Rugby:

Steyn 79%
Gits 78%
Carter 73%
JOC (James O'Connor) 72%
Beale 71%
QC (Quade Cooper) 67%

Obviously there are a lot of explanations and qualifications to those numbers. The Brumbies try-heavy approach encouraged taking a lineout instead of a risky PG shot from out wide. The Force really struggled to penetrate the opposition half, and thus JOC (James O'Connor) had to take a fair few PG shots from 40+. I don't know these two for sure, but they are two of my guesses. Maybe ruckingoodstats can help here.

I like JOC (James O'Connor)'s kicking becuase he generally hits them straight with no fade or draw like QC (Quade Cooper) or Gits.

If Gits is at 78% why am I always so damn nervous when he gets a 45 metre kick from the side? I guess that's where the "qualification" is needed huh? What I would like to see is an analysis of each kickers kicks from distance and angle. A cool graphic what would be something like they do in cricket when they show with a graphic where all the balls were struck. Why not a graphic like that for each kicker with where they took the kick and the result. I think we might see some interesting patterns emerge.

Thanks for the responses. I feel that my nervousness is somewhat confirmed.

S

saulih

If Gits is at 78% why am I always so damn nervous when he gets a 45 metre kick from the side? I guess that's where the "qualification" is needed huh? What I would like to see is an analysis of each kickers kicks from distance and angle. A cool graphic what would be something like they do in cricket when they show with a graphic where all the balls were struck. Why not a graphic like that for each kicker with where they took the kick and the result. I think we might see some interesting patterns emerge.

Thanks for the responses. I feel that my nervousness is somewhat confirmed.

Ask and ye shall receive! thanks Ruckingoodstats for the blog article! Would love to see the comparison between Gits and the rest still though...

H

high tower

World cup squad based on Deans current Team and bench

15. Kurtley Beale (NSW Waratahs)
14. James O’Connor (Western Force)
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Brumbies)
12. Pat McCabe (Brumbies)
11. Digby Ioane (Queensland Reds)
10. Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds)
9. Will Genia (Queensland Reds)
8. Ben McCalman (Western Force)
7. David Pocock (Western Force)
6. Rocky Elsom (Brumbies, captain)
5. James Horwill (Queensland Reds)
4. Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds)
3. Ben Alexander (Brumbies)
2. Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
1. Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs)

Reserves
Tatafu Polota-nau
Saia Fainga’a (Queensland Reds)

Benn Robinson/Pekahou Cowan (Western Force)
James Slipper/Ben Daley

Nathan Sharpe (Western Force)
Dan Vickerman

Matt Hodgson (Western Force)
Scott Higginbotham (Queensland Reds)
Wycliff Palu/Radike Samo

Luke Burgess
Nick Phipps (Melbourne Rebels)

Berrick Barnes/Matt Giteau

Rob Horne/Anthony Fainga’a (Queensland)

Drew Mitchell/Mark Gerrard

players listed / together due to injury
Beale, JOC (James O'Connor), Cooper and Genia are all difficult to replace.
McCabe, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are accomplished wingers if needed.
Mitchell and Palu both look doubtful and expect Gerrard and Samo to go
props are all over the shop and with Kepu and Alexander playing both side who knows the final make up

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
15. Kurtley Beale (NSW Waratahs)
14. James O’Connor (Western Force)
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Brumbies)
12. Pat McCabe (Brumbies)
11. Digby Ioane (Queensland Reds)
10. Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds)
9. Will Genia (Queensland Reds)
8. Ben McCalman (Western Force)
7. David Pocock (Western Force)
6. Rocky Elsom (Brumbies, captain)
5. James Horwill (Queensland Reds)
4. Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds)
3. Ben Alexander (Brumbies)
2. Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
1. Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs)

Could this side win a RWC Final?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not without a more dynamic number 8 IMO as the Kiwi's would kill us. Also a better 12 (i.e Horne or Barnes)

Horne is untested at 12 at both Super rugby and test level, and time will tell whether or not we need to return to a playmaking 12 to partner Cooper...

In the meantime, McCabe is coming along excellently...

But 8 is still definitely a weak spot...

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
If barnes is on the bench, having him available to come on after McCabe has taken some of the starch out of the defense and act as a second playmaker might no be a bad idea.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Horne is untested at 12 at both Super rugby and test level, and time will tell whether or not we need to return to a playmaking 12 to partner Cooper...

In the meantime, McCabe is coming along excellently...

But 8 is still definitely a weak spot...

At this point it is unlikely that Palu will make the squad. He is a notoriously slow starter when returning from injury and just underwent surgery. So the legitimate options at 8 right now are McCalman, Samo and Higgers.
It does not appear as though Samo is anywhere near the front of the queue and Deans will almost always favour youth over experience.
I wonder how Higgers would go starting at 8 alongside Pocock and Rocky? That looks pretty balanced.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
If barnes is on the bench, having him available to come on after McCabe has taken some of the starch out of the defense and act as a second playmaker might no be a bad idea.

Also think that Barnes should get the nod over Giteau, as he is the man you'd prefer to come on in a tight test match - good steady hand, straight running, effective kicking and strong defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.