• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies world cup squad selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
At this point it is unlikely that Palu will make the squad. He is a notoriously slow starter when returning from injury and just underwent surgery. So the legitimate options at 8 right now are McCalman, Samo and Higgers.
It does not appear as though Samo is anywhere near the front of the queue and Deans will almost always favour youth over experience.
I wonder how Higgers would go starting at 8 alongside Pocock and Rocky? That looks pretty balanced.

Higginbotham and Rocky are too similar. Samo is the main if McCalman is to be replaced.

W

What2040

Add in Slipper, Samo and a strong showing from the bench. Its possible.

Slipper yeah but not sure on Samo - still worried a bit about age - but probably a wonderful impact player in last 20
Be interesting to see how we go against Blacks up front this weekend

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
By dynamic number 8 I meant Wycliff Palu, also wouldn't mind Nathan Charles in the squad as we will be stuffed if TPN or Moore go down halfway through the tournament.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Also think that Barnes should get the nod over Giteau, as he is the man you'd prefer to come on in a tight test match - good steady hand, straight running, effective kicking and strong defense.

Completely agree with this. I'm guessing that if Barnes is selected it will be the end for Giteau.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Samo had a strong showing for GPS on the weekend, scoring a try himself and setting up a one or two others. Easily the biggest guy on the paddock. Good strong runs is what you want from your no.8.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
If Drew, TPN, Slipper, Robinson, Samo, Sharpe, Barnes, and Giteau all put their hands up to get picked in the 30 man squad...that's a lot of experience, versatility and skill coming back into the team. The Wallabies could have one of the strongest, if not the strongest bench at the World Cup. And we all know in years gone by how ineffective the Wallaby bench use has been compared to the All Blacks which has lost us test matches. The Reds had a strong bench this season and was used very effectively throughout the season and for the success of the team. It's a very underrated weapon.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
@Reddy.... I highly doubt we would have greater depth then the ABs come RWC. They seem to play with the same intensity and team work no matter who is on the field. I think the only position lacking would be a decent back-up for Dan Carter.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
@Reddy.... I highly doubt we would have greater depth then the ABs come RWC. They seem to play with the same intensity and team work no matter who is on the field. I think the only position lacking would be a decent back-up for Dan Carter.

I think they've found that in Colin Slade. He's no Carter but the equivalent for us is Barnes for Cooper. Where we have a better crew is:
  1. Better lineout
  2. Better 7 if the rucks are properly policed.
  3. Cooper's ability to release the X-factor players.
  4. More explosive forward pack if TPN and Palu play.
  5. Much more creative 9.
Against that there is a whole list of areas where New Zealand are stronger. I think we'll see the relative strengths Saturday.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Fit players please and proven they are fit. Love Drew and Ben R. but we can't afford to carry unfit players.

Maybe there is a counter argument - can we afford not to take a punt on at least a few of our players returning from injury?

The game against Samoa showed us maybe our second stringers aren't as good as we had hoped - although to be fair I think there is a big difference between throwing one or two of them into an established team than playing a whole swag of them (look how much better AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) looked the next week with a better team around him).

To me TPN, Mitchell and Robinson in particular are worth taking a punt on if they pass fit but are light on in match fitness- bearing in mind they will be able to play the barbarians game and have the pool games to gain match fitness (although we can't afford to take Ireland lightly at all). These guys are 'point of difference' players.

Horne & Barnes are now back playing club, so they will get some running in their legs - not as good as test match standard, but unfortunately the best that our system allows. And if Deans is not going to give Samo a crack (which I think he should) then I think Palu may also need to be considered worth a punt.

My point is that I think to win we need to improve on our current best 22 and at least some of these guys are going to need to come into the reckoning. Also, take into account if someone breaks down completely, they can be replaced in the squad.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Definitely TSR. Yes fit players are priority but I thought we were shown some of our 2nd string players really aren't up to standard, we need our class players back. They're worth the punt.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Acid test this weekend. Eden Park

I think this weekend will have a big bearing on the selection of the world cup squad. Any player that goes missing against he blacks at eden park this weekend will find it hard to redeem themselves for the world cup.

As we speak (type!) there is lots of speculation about who should be in the 30 man and the 24 man squads and IMO it seems unfair to not have a place for all the contenders. This is a healthy problem.

However, this time next week the conversation is likely to be in the totally opposite direction for at least 4 positions (just a number I pulled out of my arse to make a point - no research needed!)

Even though we were garbage against Samoa, everyone seems pretty optimistic about our chances in the 3N, Bled and the WC, myself included. However, I do think that we will only be able to measure ourselves effectively after this weekend.

Talk about intrigue.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Can you explain what you mean?

They prove a player is fit enough to play but doesn't answer the question of whether they are fit enough to preform. That is my train of thought. I hope they both come through, don't get me wrong but if they are not up to scratch, I want the tough decisions made.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
There is probably a slim chance for Benn Robinson being fit for RWC, But what happens if he is? Do we simply shift Kepu back to the other side of the scrum? As i would much rather have Kepu over Alexander these days. But now that Kepu has been playing on the other side all this Test season doesn't that create a problem?

(I always get my sides of the scrum mixed, who plays where?)

Also where does Slipper come into the mix? If Robinson is not fit, can he replace Alexander also?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
if ben is fit you would play him, kepu across to tight and alexander to the bench, if ben and slipper are both fit, for mine after the EOYT they should start with Kepu on the bench covering both sides. For mine Alexander seems to be the last of the four but Deans loves him so i really cant tell anymore.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
if ben is fit you would play him, kepu across to tight and alexander to the bench, if ben and slipper are both fit, for mine after the EOYT they should start with Kepu on the bench covering both sides. For mine Alexander seems to be the last of the four but Deans loves him so i really cant tell anymore.

There are really two teams in every conversation. There is the team Deans will pick and then there is the team that the particular contributor would pick. Rarely are they the same. Clearly Deans likes Alexander, Vickerman and McCalman and doesn't like Sharpie. Based on their super form that is akin to lunacy, certainly its at least strange. But Deans has the selection votes and he will pick who he wants. I think everyone is just assuming that as we get closer to the world cup that Deans will stop picking those he likes and will instead pick the best performed players in their positions. Personally, I doubt this will happen. Barring injuries or two disastrous results against New Zealand in the Bledisloe, I would back Alexander and McCalman to be in the starting line-up against Ireland. On form they don't deserve it but based on history I think its very likely.

So for the purposes of this thread, we need to work in two parallel universes - Deans' world where we try to guess who will be picked and the other world where form is the primary determinant along with the potential to fit into the gameplan for the game. Right now our best available front row on form is Kepu, Moore and Baxter. If Robinson, TPN and Slipper were fit then I'd have Robinson, TPN and Kepu with Moore and Slipper on the bench. I would be happy to interchange any of those players, there is little between them. They all play slightly differently (eg TPN has more impact, Moore is more a workhorse) but that's a front row that can deliver all that a front row has to do. Baxter would be fourth prop in case of injury and probably Charles or Hanson the back-up hooker. But that will not be Deans choice. Alexander will be chosen for his ability to score tries and run with the ball. If Slipper is back he might be forced to the bench, and if Robinson is back Kepu will drop out of the 22.

Similarly, on form our locks would be Sharpe and Horwill and our backrow would be Pocock, Palu and Elsom, with Higgers or Samo if Palu doesn't make it back. But it won't happen in Deans' world.

I wish we were in my world and not Deans' world, but I guess that's what they call perspective. But I want to win the Bledisloe and Bill and with Deans choices I think we will fall a bit short.

Status
Not open for further replies.